Need help on when to take the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arielgee

Reaction score
Hey guys!!!
So I just finished organic chemistry and will be taking organic chemistry 2 in the fall semester. I will be graduating with my bachelors in biology in spring 2022. I wanted to take the DAT in the summer so I can go straight into dental school next year but wanted to know if I should wait until I finish org chem 2 or should I be okay? I’m going to use dat Bootcamp and old notes from previous classes.
Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!!!
So I just finished organic chemistry and will be taking organic chemistry 2 in the fall semester. I will be graduating with my bachelors in biology in spring 2022. I wanted to take the DAT in the summer so I can go straight into dental school next year but wanted to know if I should wait until I finish org chem 2 or should I be okay? I’m going to use dat Bootcamp and old notes from previous classes.
Thank you so much
I would suggest finishing Orgo 2, unless you think you can self teach yourself Orgo 2. Orgo 2 is fair game for the DAT and rushing to take the DAT before fully being prepared you take the risk of a retake. The DAT is not an exam you want to take more than once if it can be avoided.

Hope this helps...Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest finishing Orgo 2, unless you think you can self teach yourself Orgo 2. Orgo 2 is fair game for the DAT and rushing to take the DAT before fully being prepared you take the risk of a retake. The DAT is not an exam you want to take more than once if it can be avoided.

Hope this helps...Nancy
Thank you 😬

Hey guys!!!
Thank you so much
I definitely think it's worth waiting until the end of Orgo 2 to take the DAT, as there are plenty of questions that will show up from that part of the course. I do understand your dilemma though! If you think you would be able to teach yourself Orgo 2 through using DAT or other resources to take the exam and score well, then go for it! It's been done before, and quite successfully. That said, If you're not comfortable with that, it's worth the wait for sure.

Best of luck! :)