When should I take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz Shaikh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello eveyrone I hope you can ans some questions for me. I am trying to figure out when i should take the DAT. and when should i start preparing for it? what kind of books should i get? i just ordered the kaplan 2004 DAT book

I just started my science pre-reqs ( already have a bachelors) I took Chem I over the summer and am taking Chem II and Bio I right now. I am going to take Intro to Organic chem, Bio II and Intro to physics nest semester. plan on taking Microbiology over the summer ( summer 06). Taking organic I and general physics I in the fall of 06. Take Organic II and general physics II in the spring of 07. I am planning on applying in May 2007. I don't think i can apply in May 2006.

Thanx ;-)

Members don't see this ad.

since you want to submit your AADSAS application as soon as possible, you should schedule the DAT arround that.

since AADSAS has it's first mailing of application to dental schools in June, you want to have your application submitted as yearly to that date as possible. Also, it takes AADSAS about 6 weeks to verify your GPA and send the application.

first, you should take the DAT when you feel ready. that said, you should take it no later then 6 weeks after you submit your application. I would recommend taking before September, some time during August.

as for material, the Kaplan book is a great start. also, look at Topscore and DATachiever for full length simulated exams.