When does your residency end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bsmadd01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of people are having their residency graduations this weekend. Our program has their graduation on June 30 no matter what day of the week it is.
When does your program end? I feel like June 30 is too late especially if you are starting fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

My residency graduation was one year ago today (June 5). We still had to work until the end of June, but most of my graduating class managed to schedule a vacation-eligible rotation during that last month and take the last week off for packing and moving if necessary.

I have noticed a lot of people are having their residency graduations this weekend. Our program has their graduation on June 30 no matter what day of the week it is.
When does your program end? I feel like June 30 is too late especially if you are starting fellowship.

Ha! My program ends June 30. My fellowship starts July 1. I burned all but two of my vacation days interviewing; one of these days will have to be used to do an on-site pre-employment physical which apparently has to be done at least a week prior to fellowship orientation (seriously?). Consequently, I have 24 hours to move all of my **** 300 miles (although I do have weekends this block, thank god, which helps).

It still sucks.

And a graduation on June 30 would be utterly pointless given that many of the people in that residency will have to be starting fellowship orientation approximately 12 hours later.

I did an OOS elective here in FL for my last month of residency and moved down at the end of May. Didn't go back for graduation, which was a few weeks later. But yes, technically you're done with residency at midnight on July 1. Best to try to schedule yourself some time off during your last month for moving purposes as others have already said.

At my program, the graduation celebration was in mid-June. The chiefs came off service about a week before the end of the year then the juniors switched July 1. While technically residency was not over until June 30 this did give the graduating residents time to get packed up and move on. Also, it ensures that the whole team is not new July 1 so there is some continuity in patient care.

My program's graduation is the 17th, but they technically don't end until June 30th. Those that are moving away to fellowship have rotations at the end that allow them to take the last week off to move and get settled, but there are several who are staying right up until the end. There are also juniors that are being promoted a week early in order to cover all the services, so staffing is a bit thin that last week.

Like the others, our ceremony was in mid June with the official last date June 30; traditionally Chiefs took off after graduation. I stayed around because my fellowship was only 2.5 hrs away and everything was transitioning anyway so it wasn't like there was much I had to do.

Like the others, our ceremony was in mid June with the official last date June 30; traditionally Chiefs took off after graduation. I stayed around because my fellowship was only 2.5 hrs away and everything was transitioning anyway so it wasn't like there was much I had to do.

Pretty much same here.

Just watch out, OP...you don't want to burn any bridges by jetting early. Anyone remember that thread floating around here about those three chiefs that got busted for not coming in the last day of residency? I think it was a urology program or something. Their PG/head rescinded their permission to take boards basically the day before their exam iirc.

Reactions: 1 user
I think our graduation was a week or two before the end of June, but we had to work right up until the bitter end.

I actually finished PG4 year with unused vacation time, which was a huge mistake. I hoarded toward the beginning of the year, figuring I'd need a lot of it to go on interviews, then didn't wind up using nearly as much as I thought I would. So those are my words of wisdom to current residents: make sure you use all your vacation time. Even if I'd just taken a staycation in January to sit around my apartment drinking hot chocolate and playing video games, that would have been better than working!

Pretty much same here.

Just watch out, OP...you don't want to burn any bridges by jetting early. Anyone remember that thread floating around here about those three chiefs that got busted for not coming in the last day of residency? I think it was a urology program or something. Their PG/head rescinded their permission to take boards basically the day before their exam iirc.

Wow that is vindictive

My graduation is June 9 but we are expected to work right up until June 30. I saved 2 weeks of vacation for the end of the year so I'll end the week after graduation.

When I walked out of the hospital, after my last shift, it was 10 minutes before July 1st.

Graduation ceremony =/= end of residency.

Ours they just pick a weekend in June based on facility availability

You got to graduate on a weekend? Fancy. My program picked a random Thursday so none of the attendings would have to give up a weekend day.

When I walked out of the hospital, after my last shift, it was 10 minutes before July 1st.

You got to graduate on a weekend? Fancy. My program picked a random Thursday so none of the attendings would have to give up a weekend day.

Mine was nice enough to end on June 28. I drove to my fellowship June 29-30 (in a city I'd never been to, to an apartment I took sight unseen) - and woke up July 1 and went to work.

Fortunately I am taking a 2 month break between fellowship and the grownup job...

If you're really a Chief resident, and you didn't construct your schedule so that you had all of June off, you've go nobody to blame but yourself.

In my (IM) program, the rising chiefs took over on June 1 and that year's chiefs were about 50/50 for showing up to the graduation celebration in mid-June.