When does it end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The clock hasn't stopped, so that's good. It's been more of the same, but the end is closer at least.

You're almost there!! The end is near! Then FREEDOM!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I'll bite.

I work harder as an attending.

Our contracts are take it or leave it style. There is no negotiation.

Our partnership tracks are three years. We're also full of stories of people getting screwed over in those three years and never actually making partner.

That's disappointing, especially to me.

The clock hasn't stopped, so that's good. It's been more of the same, but the end is closer at least.

If it's any consolation, I'm a PGY 7 and had my PD sent me a douchey email about my clinic notes not being thorough enough. I looked back in the EMR and there was 1 specific note that missed 1 sentence in the physical exam that really wasn't pertinent to the reason the patient was being seen. Meanwhile, any of his notes he writes without a fellow are complete %hit and impossible to follow at times with old exam findings copied and pasted through.

Meanwhile, 2 other attendings I actually respect have told me in the last 2 months how thorough and well written my notes/OP reports are.

I officially finish June 30, 2017 at 5pm. Not that I'm keeping track or anything.

Reactions: 1 users
If it's any consolation, I'm a PGY 7 and had my PD sent me a douchey email about my clinic notes not being thorough enough. I looked back in the EMR and there was 1 specific note that missed 1 sentence in the physical exam that really wasn't pertinent to the reason the patient was being seen. Meanwhile, any of his notes he writes without a fellow are complete %hit and impossible to follow at times with old exam findings copied and pasted through.

Meanwhile, 2 other attendings I actually respect have told me in the last 2 months how thorough and well written my notes/OP reports are.

I officially finish June 30, 2017 at 5pm. Not that I'm keeping track or anything.

That to me is always the worst. If attendings want to criticize my notes but have spotless documentation when they don't have a resident (especially in clinic), so be it, I can improve to try and please them (even if it's over the top, IMO). It's when attendings would cut multiple corners if they didn't have a resident/fellow on service and then complain.

You made his job require a couple seconds of extra work, how dare you! For me it's usually an email reminding me to include the volume of contrast injected on the CT that was performed at 3AM while the attending was fast asleep. Or maybe that I forgot to mention there was a little bit of motion artifact on the MRI that I read hours previously, and on whom I had subsequently performed a thrombectomy.

I, too, am done at 5PM on 6/30/17.

Sorry to break it, but it never ends.
Did you remember asking that question in high school after getting to college?
Then you asked that question again while studying for MCAT
Then you got your acceptance to medical school
Then you graduated
Then you were a MS1
Then you finished your Step 1
Then you finished your core rotations
Then your Subi
Then your interviews
Then you matched residency

Guess what. It never ends. Especially not in medicine. It will forever be a game. Whether it be with those above you in the department, your insurance, your accountants, your patients, your lawyers. IT WILL NEVER END.

Unless you walk.
Walk away from it all. And do something else you would enjoy better

I disagree, there is NEVER been a time in my life when you are so acutely powerless and open for abuse as when you are a resident. Attendings have their BC, their livelihood intact. Sure a single hospital or group could choose to part way, but you can easily pick up and go somewhere else, that is NOT the case when you are a resident. There is this noose that dangles over your head the whole time, and some people really like the dangle it out there.

I have never felt so vulnerable as I do now, and I hate it.

Really? I know of many new surgical attendings who may disagree with you, particularly out in practice as they take extra call and consults to pay down debt and establish their practice. This may be different than in the past as residents were pulling 36 hour shifts and entire weekend in-house chief calls, with duty hour restrictions these sorts of things don't happen anymore.

Heard this one many times across several specialties. Attendings work differently (maybe less pointless running around), but not necessarily less than residents.

The difference is that as an attending you CHOOSE to work long or short hours, and you get paid for your choice. If you start with something and don't like it, you can walk away. The choice is the most important part, even if it seems subtle. Residents have no choice. If their PD decides they want them to cover this service, or to take weekend call in the ICU, then that's just it, they have to do it.

This discussion is NOT about working hard, it is about being in a weak position where you have to accept whatever garbage comes at you, and that is just not the case as an attending.

I disagree, there is NEVER been a time in my life when you are so acutely powerless and open for abuse as when you are a resident. Attendings have their BC, their livelihood intact. Sure a single hospital or group could choose to part way, but you can easily pick up and go somewhere else, that is NOT the case when you are a resident. There is this noose that dangles over your head the whole time, and some people really like the dangle it out there.

what specialty are you?

I mean, you're not wrong but if that's something you worry about on a regular basis then something is wrong.

Maybe it's the wine speaking tonight, but I feel an obligation to update this thread. I'm now a month and a half out from that hell. I immediately started a fellowship and even with the stress that went along with moving across the country, I can promise you. It. Does. Get. Better. My new program is a breath of fresh air and my new PD is the antithesis of the worthless human being my former one was. She actually cares about her fellows as a person and is motivated to help further our careers, rather than figure out how to make hers easier/how to make us look bad. To all those reading this, hang in there. It sucks and you'll want to quit all the time, but it does end and there's nowhere to go but up!

Reactions: 11 users
Maybe it's the wine speaking tonight, but I feel an obligation to update this thread. I'm now a month and a half out from that hell. I immediately started a fellowship and even with the stress that went along with moving across the country, I can promise you. It. Does. Get. Better. My new program is a breath of fresh air and my new PD is the antithesis of the worthless human being my former one was. She actually cares about her fellows as a person and is motivated to help further our careers, rather than figure out how to make hers easier/how to make us look bad. To all those reading this, hang in there. It sucks and you'll want to quit all the time, but it does end and there's nowhere to go but up!

Awesome news! How inspiring!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you for taking the time to update us...and with good news! I'm so glad you found a supportive program for fellowship!

The BS never ends. Sure, you'll leave this PD, but there will be other hospital administrators lining up to give you crap all day long and tell you what to do. Your patients wait by carefully just to sue you and complain about you. If you're smart, you didn't get married, cause the last thing you need after a day of doctoring is to come home to a spouse who yells at you for spending too much time at a job you hate while they sit around and spend all your money.

But none of these people can stop time. The sweet, sweet embrace of death will be upon you before you know it.

Solid :hilarious: