When does Putin turn off our lights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you want to lurk on a Russian women forum, it's interesting to see their perspectives.

Clearly, the expression on the forum is measured and guarded. The top comment is from mods who cite the new Russian law, advising commenters to avoid political discussions.

There's a post lamenting all their favorite brands like Gucci leaving Russia.

There are comments like, "we love our president, let's stick together comrades!" Very interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish they wouldn't do that. It'd be nice if more people would post and not less. I enjoy reading what other people have to say. I hope more people lurking on this site would give their opinions.

On another note, I learned how to make memes for the modern-day braveheart.

View attachment 351419

Ukraine needs to hang on for as long as possible.

If this goes into the summer (I'd be surprised if this feverish intensity keeps up another 2 weeks TBH), and the world continues to isolate and punish the Russian economy, Putin's gonna get got.

I'm shocked Visa/MC halted Russian transactions. That may be the most severe move that's been made. Apple and Goodle Pay too.

I've struggled daily since this started. My Marine Corps buddies have all been struggling, and the reason why is simple - Ordinary people are the ones who will suffer the most. People in both nations who are trying to live ordinary lives, pay their bills, watch their kids grow up...Either death or severe discomfort is coming for you despite your wishes or desires.

Every American veteran I know has experienced shame on some level in the last 6 months, with incident number one being the egregious events surrounding our Afghanistan withdrawal.

I got emails from the VA containing suicide hotlines, avenues for psych assistance and lots of resources for those with worsening depression and anxiety resulting from the Afghan story.

Incredible shame.

The Ukraine situation has taken it a step further, only this time it's occurring in a modern society and Ukrainians look and pray like we do.

Initially, I wanted Western boots on the ground from multiple nations as a show of supreme intolerance to unprovoked aggression anywhere in the modern world.

Set a new standard. No more of this BS. If multiple nations committed troops simultaneously, Russia's aggression gets wiped TFO and the world stands shoulder-to-shoulder in solidarity.

He can make nuke threats, but he won't nuke multiple nations simultaneously.

Putin's desire to rebuild the USSR fails; he makes passive-aggressive statements on the world stage; we move on with our lives.

Now, I'm torn. I don't want further escalation. It may be the safest way for the West to handle this is make Russian existence so difficult they take matters into their own hands.

What a shameful social media post by L Graham the other day. Calling for Putin's assassination. I can't stand LG.

If this goes into the summer (I'd be surprised if this feverish intensity keeps up another 2 weeks TBH), and the world continues to isolate and punish the Russian economy, Putin's gonna get got.

I'm shocked Visa/MC halted Russian transactions. That may be the most severe move that's been made. Apple and Goodle Pay too.

I've struggled daily since this started. My Marine Corps buddies have all been struggling, and the reason why is simple - Ordinary people are the ones who will suffer the most. People in both nations who are trying to live ordinary lives, pay their bills, watch their kids grow up...Either death or severe discomfort is coming for you despite your wishes or desires.

Every American veteran I know has experienced shame on some level in the last 6 months, with incident number one being the egregious events surrounding our Afghanistan withdrawal.

I got emails from the VA containing suicide hotlines, avenues for psych assistance and lots of resources for those with worsening depression and anxiety resulting from the Afghan story.

Incredible shame.

The Ukraine situation has taken it a step further, only this time it's occurring in a modern society and Ukrainians look and pray like we do.

Initially, I wanted Western boots on the ground from multiple nations as a show of supreme intolerance to unprovoked aggression anywhere in the modern world.

Set a new standard. No more of this BS. If multiple nations committed troops simultaneously, Russia's aggression gets wiped TFO and the world stands shoulder-to-shoulder in solidarity.

Putin's desire to rebuild the USSR fails; he makes passive-aggressive statements on the world stage; we move on with our lives.

Now, I'm torn. I don't want further escalation. It may be the safest way for the West to handle this is make Russian existence so difficult they take matters into their own hands.

What a shameful social media post by L Graham the other day. Calling for Putin's assassination. I can't stand LG.
The nuclear threat from Putin should be utterly ignored imo. We went through this in the 80s and resolved the question with MAD. If we backtrack now, we better start giving North Korea everything they desire.

I think we need to MASSIVELY build up NATO presence with American and allies troops and heavy equipment in all NATO nations surrounding Russia. Like yesterday. We should have warned Putin we would do this. This is not a symbolic move. We have to assume he will attempt to reconstitute the USSR and destroy the freedom of our allies in the process.

I don't like escalation/tension either but America has lost a lot of blood for freedom and we are ready to lose more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, for the moment, Visa and MC will still work internally but are blocked outside of Russia. It's still wild though. I'm not sure how effective it will be but if we can end world wars like this, it will be a major breakthrough.
I figured there would be details to the Visa/MC thing. I know nothing about how all that works TBH, but if it is hard to use credit for daily purchases...GFY Putin.

Money wiring, electronic payment of bills. Where does that end? There are major companies now under political pressure to close their Russian stores like McDonald's and many others.

How long can they survive that? Putin will have demonstrations in the streets that could potentially lead to bloodshed.

The vet community is largely furious the Biden Administration and many other Western nations didn't build up Ukrainian defenses in the weeks and months prior to the actual invasion.

It will get harder and harder to send aid to Ukraine as Russian forces begin to encircle Kiev and other major cities.

Putin watched Russia get its head beat in by Chechens. He took power and sent dudes right back in and resorted to criminal tactics meant to instill fear in the population. They set off bombs in the basements of apartment buildings and put a volume of artillery into their cities that was incredible.

I'm fearful he does the same in Kiev.

Last edited:
If you want to lurk on a Russian women forum, it's interesting to see their perspectives.

Clearly, the expression on the forum is measured and guarded. The top comment is from mods who cite the new Russian law, advising commenters to avoid political discussions.

There are comments like, "we love our president, let's stick together comrades!" Very interesting.

Clicked on it and got nervous after I switched to English. My phone is probably now a remote bomb with a button somewhere in Moscow waiting to be pushed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Not the Gucciiiiiiiiii

Somewhere out there there’s a Russian mistress ready to beat her oligarch boyfriend with a stiletto because she’s number two on the Birkin waiting list and he can’t mobilize the funds to get it for her.

• Haha
This is interesting, but who knows if any of this is true.

This is interesting, but who knows if any of this is true.

Just read the entire thing. Matches up with a report I heard out of Ukraine a few days ago. Fascinating to read, and if accurate it explains a great of what is happening on the ground, particularly all the russian mistakes....and russian casualties

Just read the entire thing. Matches up with a report I heard out of Ukraine a few days ago. Fascinating to read, and if accurate it explains a great of what is happening on the ground, particularly all the russian mistakes....and russian casualties
A grand example of dysfunction in an authoritarian govt...When you're tasked with answering a Q...Such as what is mentioned in that thread...You're too scared to bring objectivity with you in the answer.

You only bring the news your boss wants to hear.

Incredible shame.

I feel terrible too, for both sides. Did you see the captured Russian soldiers? They don't even look like soldiers. I'm assuming they're poor rural folks who were picked up and thrown in the front lines. Some were wearing muck boots. I use muck boots on my farm but I wouldn't want to even hike in them much less go into combat with them.

I know less than nothing about going to war and I put my faith in my government and military but I really wonder if Putin would ever go nuclear. If he did it would guarantee his destruction. Seems like a scare tactic. I wish all free countries would enter this war. Yesterday it was the Jewish people at the hands of the Nazis and the Chinese people at the hands of the Japanese. Now it's the Ukrainian people at the hands of the Russians. What if it's us tomorrow? The free world needs the be united. This world is too small for dictators. Plus, I think Ukraine had and a third of former Soviet union's atomic weaponry until we pushed them to the npt. I imagine that it was implied we would protect them from something like this.

I feel terrible too, for both sides. Did you see the captured Russian soldiers? They don't even look like soldiers. I'm assuming they're poor rural folks who were picked up and thrown in the front lines. Some were wearing muck boots. I use muck boots on my farm but I wouldn't want to even hike in them much less go into combat with them.

I know less than nothing about going to war and I put my faith in my government and military but I really wonder if Putin would ever go nuclear. If he did it would guarantee his destruction. Seems like a scare tactic. I wish all free countries would enter this war. Yesterday it was the Jewish people at the hands of the Nazis and the Chinese people at the hands of the Japanese. Now it's the Ukrainian people at the hands of the Russians. What if it's us tomorrow? The free world needs the be united. This world is too small for dictators. Plus, I think Ukraine had and a third of former Soviet union's atomic weaponry until we pushed them to the npt. I imagine that it was implied we would protect them from something like this.
Many of these Russians were mislead and believed they were heading to a training exercise.

A large percentage of these Russian troops are not experienced professionals, they're kids. Of course, all militaries are full of kids on some level.

However, the behavior of these Russians seem unusual. The videos of civilians F'ing with them are odd. The reactions of the Russians are unprofessional like the tractor that starts dragging away the tank? WTH?

I dare you to try and attach some form of equipment or material to one of our tanks. You can come up to an American tank and talk to the crew and touch it in some cases, but no one is pulling a tractor up next to it and towing it. You'll be killed.

That said, there's no context to all these videos we're watching, so who knows.

I do NOT support the prisoner pictures. That is against the Geneva Convention BTW. You're not supposed to publish pictures of enemy prisoners of war. It is considered highly offensive, but I see pics all over the internet of Russian POWs.

Of course, the GC was done well before social media and the internet.

A lot of these Russian kids are watching atrocities occur and they know they were lied to initially. I can't see this ending well for anyone, but I'm thinking Russia suffers the most long term...At least Putin, bc someone is gonna do that guy.

I posted earlier if this goes on into the summer that guy is toast.

God help him if there's no reversal by FIFA come November.

Many of these Russians were mislead and believed they were heading to a training exercise.

A large percentage of these Russian troops are not experienced professionals, they're kids. Of course, all militaries are full of kids on some level.

However, the behavior of these Russians seem unusual. The videos of civilians F'ing with them are odd. The reactions of the Russians are unprofessional like the tractor that starts dragging away the tank? WTH?

I dare you to try and attach some form of equipment or material to one of our tanks. You can come up to an American tank and talk to the crew and touch it in some cases, but no one is pulling a tractor up next to it and towing it. You'll be killed.

That said, there's no context to all these videos we're watching, so who knows.

I do NOT support the prisoner pictures. That is against the Geneva Convention BTW. You're not supposed to publish pictures of enemy prisoners of war. It is considered highly offensive, but I see pics all over the internet of Russian POWs.

Of course, the GC was done well before social media and the internet.

A lot of these Russian kids are watching atrocities occur and they know they were lied to initially. I can't see this ending well for anyone, but I'm thinking Russia suffers the most long term...At least Putin, bc someone is gonna do that guy.

I posted earlier if this goes on into the summer that guy is toast.

God help him if there's no reversal by FIFA come November.
I think it's highly unlikely the Russian population will rise up and overthrow Putin. That population is generations away from showing any kind of initiative against their government. It looks to me like Russia will flatten Ukraine and occupy government buildings, driving the legit govt into hiding or exile, where they will marshal a diminishing force. Hope I'm wrong.

I think it's highly unlikely the Russian population will rise up and overthrow Putin. That population is generations away from showing any kind of initiative against their government. It looks to me like Russia will flatten Ukraine and occupy government buildings, driving the legit govt into hiding or exile, where they will marshal a diminishing force. Hope I'm wrong.
I don't know.

There's about to be serious BS going down in every major Russian city when no one can get to their money.

I'm not saying there will be a revolution in the streets, but I'm not saying their won't be a revolution in the streets.

If this goes on until summer Putin is in deep S.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the end point anyway? That Twitter thread makes a good point that propping up a new government and leaving won’t work, they would have to continue to occupy and if everyone else refuses to acknowledge the new government and supports a resistance that will just be more pain for Russia. And it’s probably really expensive. China isn’t going to bail them out for free.

What’s the end point anyway? That Twitter thread makes a good point that propping up a new government and leaving won’t work, they would have to continue to occupy and if everyone else refuses to acknowledge the new government and supports a resistance that will just be more pain for Russia. And it’s probably really expensive. China isn’t going to bail them out for free.
I think the end point in Putin's mind is a larger Russia. If you think about it, all of Russia is essentially "occupied" already.

Russia is not bound by the same constraints that we are when suppressing opposition and stifling descent...

Putin expected the Ukrainians to greet them with sunflowers, and I think he bet on that bc an insurgency in a modern city of 3 million makes Kiev virtually impossible to control.

There's no proto-insurgency period. No small scale insurgency period. It begins from day one a large scale insurgency.

Iraq and Afghanistan. Vast majority of the population liked us, especially the women and children.

Nearly ALL Ukrainians despise Russians as of today.

You can't just take over a country in 2022. Things are much different now.

I agree - What is the end goal exactly?

Is it resources? Lines on a map which carry emotional importance to Putin?

This won't work.

Putin expected the Ukrainians to greet them with sunflowers, and I think he bet on that bc an insurgency in a modern city of 3 million makes Kiev virtually impossible to control.

There's no proto-insurgency period. No small scale insurgency period. It begins from day one a large scale insurgency.

Iraq and Afghanistan. Vast majority of the population liked us, especially the women and children.

Nearly ALL Ukrainians despise Russians as of today.

You can't just take over a country in 2022. Things are much different now.

I agree - What is the end goal exactly?

Is it resources? Lines on a map which carry emotional importance to Putin?

This won't work.
I really hope you're right. It's impossible for Putin and his parliament to ignore the $hit storm that is about to rain down on the entire country.

I saw a large parade of people today walking in support of Ukraine. It's kind of nice to see just about everyone in America united for a change.

Incredible shame.

Putin is spread thin in Ukraine. He can’t spread himself even thinner in multiple European countries. And Graham tweeted what we were all thinking.

Putin is spread thin in Ukraine. He can’t spread himself even thinner in multiple European countries. And Graham tweeted what we were all thinking.
Graham's tweet was utterly foolish.

It'll be interesting to see what happens once he starts conscripting from the bourgeoisie. When deaths come from the children of the proletariat there are few who care but when it starts hitting home to those with some degree of power it's a different story.

Sorry for the manifesto terms but it's apropos.

its hard to envision a scenario where ukraine isnt completely flattened.

there is enough will for a legitimate ukrainian resistance, but not enough firepower to actually get the russians to back off. also, i think its clear that the "west" feels perfectly comfortable making russia poor, but doesnt have enough skin in the game to actually get involved in the day-to-day combat war.

2 other thoughts:

1. zelensky survives in the end
2. the red army has a history of forcing its soldiers to fight. many documented cases where troops were forced to charge or face gunfire from their own side (stalingrad). brutality is ingrained in the russian psyche -- at least for the old-schoolers. i'd love to see mass-scale desertion in the red arm, but i agree with hyperalgesia. life has to get REALLY bad for a wide-scale revolt or revolution. the overall standard of living everywhere right now isnt what it was in 1917 russia. definitely not the same as france in 1789

the red army has a history of forcing its soldiers to fight. many documented cases where troops were forced to charge or face gunfire from their own side (stalingrad). brutality is ingrained in the russian psyche -- at least for the old-schoolers. i'd love to see mass-scale desertion in the red arm, but i agree with hyperalgesia. life has to get REALLY bad for a wide-scale revolt or revolution. the overall standard of living everywhere right now isnt what it was in 1917 russia. definitely not the same as france in 1789
This holds true for most, if not all, armies during ww1 and ww2, not just the soviets. Britain did the exact same thing. If you fled your trench during ww1 you would be shot on site or executed later on once they caught up with you.

This holds true for most, if not all, armies during ww1 and ww2, not just the soviets. Britain did the exact same thing. If you fled your trench during ww1 you would be shot on site or executed later on once they caught up with you.

in my western education, i never learned about that. i pictured a wall of russian soldiers on one side, a wall or germans on the other and a bunch of russian officers with machine guns forcing the russian soldiers to charge

in my western education, i never learned about that. i pictured a wall of russian soldiers on one side, a wall or germans on the other and a bunch of russian officers with machine guns forcing the russian soldiers to charge
Look up cowardice and desertion/britain/ww1/Harry Farr, etc. if you'd care to.

I think they might have even been executed for things like what we would label as PTSD today.

The more I learn about ww1 the more I can't understand how these soldiers were able to endure what they did. To me, it seems impossible. I'd like to think I would have been brave had I been a soldier at that time but reading what I've read on it I fear I may have been the one being executed for cowardice. I guess you never know how you would react until you're in a situation like that. Stalingrad in ww2 also.

I think as American kids growing up during the cold war, we had a lot of propaganda about Russian people as did they about us. I remember always picturing Russian women as these rag-wearing beefy babushkas. However, a trip I took to Moscow some time ago quickly dispelled that perception. Most of the women there, as in much of the world, are beautiful.

Look up cowardice and desertion/britain/ww1/Harry Farr, etc. if you'd care to.

I think they might have even been executed for things like what we would label as PTSD today.

The more I learn about ww1 the more I can't understand how these soldiers were able to endure what they did. To me, it seems impossible. I'd like to think I would have been brave had I been a soldier at that time but reading what I've read on it I fear I may have been the one being executed for cowardice. I guess you never know how you would react until you're in a situation like that. Stalingrad in ww2 also.

I think as American kids growing up during the cold war, we had a lot of propaganda about Russian people as did they about us. I remember always picturing Russian women as these rag-wearing beefy babushkas. However, a trip I took to Moscow some time ago quickly dispelled that perception. Most of the women there, as in much of the world, are beautiful.
I think Stalingrad was obviously an egregious event in human history, and while they def were gunning down their own people, Russians were already introduced to death. It wasn't uncommon in general, and they were being invaded. So, while I don't condone that in any way...I kind of get it.

WW1 is a personal obsession of mine. I wouldn't have fared well at Passchendaele. Those conditions would have been the death of me.

Conditions of the soldiers fighting are worse than any other war in modern history, while WW2 was worse on the general public. IMO of course.

Yall know about Flanders Poppies? These poppies don't really produce opium in any sufficient quantity to make opiate. These are Papaver rhoeas, different than P. somniferum (opium poppy).

Drumfire artillery turned over the soil containing dead humans and horses. The minerals from the tissue fertilized the soil and poppies began to grow.

That's really cool.

These are two books I'd highly recommend, one being arguably the best military book ever written (AQotWF). You'll learn of human perseverance in conditions you never believed existed.

You know the walls of the trenches were used to bury the dead? Your buddy dies and you shove him into the dirt beside you.

916dAyucHqL.jpg

81W6FVnN-gL.jpg

Last edited:
i know words matter.....but not a big deal to say it in response to a country being flattened by the guy we all want taken out
Russians NEVER forget being slighted.

Yes, they're F'd up for Ukraine, but this conflict will come to an end one day and international relations will be restored.

...and they'll bring it up.

its hard to envision a scenario where ukraine isnt completely flattened.

there is enough will for a legitimate ukrainian resistance, but not enough firepower to actually get the russians to back off. also, i think its clear that the "west" feels perfectly comfortable making russia poor, but doesnt have enough skin in the game to actually get involved in the day-to-day combat war.

2 other thoughts:

1. zelensky survives in the end
2. the red army has a history of forcing its soldiers to fight. many documented cases where troops were forced to charge or face gunfire from their own side (stalingrad). brutality is ingrained in the russian psyche -- at least for the old-schoolers. i'd love to see mass-scale desertion in the red arm, but i agree with hyperalgesia. life has to get REALLY bad for a wide-scale revolt or revolution. the overall standard of living everywhere right now isnt what it was in 1917 russia. definitely not the same as france in 1789
It looks like the end game is coming into focus. Russia will decimate your entire country unless you recognize Donbass as independent, relinquish Crimea, and change your constitution to prevent NATO membership.

I doesn't look like there are any plans to permanently occupy Ukraine.

I guess we're gonna see if sanctions on Russia are as persuasive as utter destruction and death.

Pretty sure every fortune cookie ever eaten in America was made in Taiwan. Can't live without those.

...seriously.
fortune cookie was actually "invented" in Cali, most likely San Fran.

im not sure which is worse, Somme or Stalingrad. 1 million killed in battle of the Somme. 2 million in Stalingrad.

I think Stalingrad was obviously an egregious event in human history, and while they def were gunning down their own people, Russians were already introduced to death. It wasn't uncommon in general, and they were being invaded. So, while I don't condone that in any way...I kind of get it.

WW1 is a personal obsession of mine. I wouldn't have fared well at Passchendaele. Those conditions would have been the death of me.

Conditions of the soldiers fighting are worse than any other war in modern history, while WW2 was worse on the general public. IMO of course.

Yall know about Flanders Poppies? These poppies don't really produce opium in any sufficient quantity to make opiate. These are Papaver rhoeas, different than P. somniferum (opium poppy).

Drumfire artillery turned over the soil containing dead humans and horses. The minerals from the tissue fertilized the soil and poppies began to grow.

That's really cool.

These are two books I'd highly recommend, one being arguably the best military book ever written (AQotWF). You'll learn of human perseverance in conditions you never believed existed.

You know the walls of the trenches were used to bury the dead? Your buddy dies and you shove him into the dirt beside you.

View attachment 351469

View attachment 351470
The dead, the dysentery. I can't even imagine. I think it was so bad because of the industrial revolution.