When does Putin turn off our lights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point does Putin start messing with the US power grid and whatever else cyber attacks he wants to launch elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Man, I hope our hackers are as good or maybe better than their hackers.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know about Putin, but I do know how thrilled I am we're no longer energy independent (like we were not too long ago).

Europe is dependent on Russian oil.

Annexing Crimea gave Russia greater control of the Black Sea, and once they finish Ukraine they'll have even more control of oil transportation.

Putin knows the US is no longer a serious people, and he knows we're easily manipulated by propaganda and troll farms.

We won't do anything about this other than sanctions.

Terrible scenes and videos coming out of Ukraine.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
in the very very back of my head, there is one brain cell saying this is a "wag the dog" situation. You remember that movie where they made up a war to distract from something else (like covid related domestic issues in this case)/

Reactions: 1 users
At what point does Putin start messing with the US power grid and whatever else cyber attacks he wants to launch elsewhere?
Putin simply wanted to keep NATO out of Ukraine. Biden called his bluff. It was not a bluff. Putin has no interest in any area outside of Ukraine. The Germans (Hitler) , the French (Napoleon) they all invaded Russia via Ukraine. Putin wants NATO plenty far from his border. Taiwan should be worried. Putin and Xi probably already decided if Putin could have Ukraine Xi could have Taiwan.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Putin simply wanted to keep NATO out of Ukraine. Biden called his bluff. It was not a bluff. Putin has no interest in any area outside of Ukraine. The Germans (Hitler) , the French (Napoleon) they all invaded Russia via Ukraine. Putin wants NATO plenty far from his border. Taiwan should be worried. Putin and Xi probably already decided if Putin could have Ukraine Xi could have Taiwan.
That is incorrect. Putin wants the entire USSR back together, but his priority is Ukraine first and then he will next absorb Belarus as both countries have very strong historical, genetic, and language ties to Russia in contrast to the rest of the USSSR. Putin will next find a way to take Belarus, which is already a pseudo puppet state.

I'm of Scottish heritage but I speak Russian fluently and lived in Moscow for 6 months, and have studied Russian history & politics in depth.

I worry about Taiwan. China isn't worried about sanctions and is watching with interest how the West responds to Ukraine.
Only direct military conflict would protect Taiwan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
That is incorrect. Putin want's the entire USSR back together, but his priority is ukraine first and then he will absorb belarus as both countries have very strong genetic and language ties to Russia. Putin will next find a way to take Belarus, which is already a pseudo puppet state.

I'm of scottish heritage but I speak Russian fluently and lived in Moscow for 6 months, and have studied Russian history & politics in depth.

I worry about Taiwan. China isn't worried about sanctions and is watching with interest how the West responds to Ukraine.
Yes.

The fall of the Berlin Wall had a profound impact on Putin. He watched it happen in real time while stationed in Berlin. The man despises the West and wants to reassemble the USSR. I agree about Taiwan.

This is straight up propaganda. You are, either intentionally or unintentionally, painting Russia as the victim here.

Bot?

Reactions: 1 user
That is incorrect. Putin wants the entire USSR back together, but his priority is Ukraine first and then he will next absorb Belarus as both countries have very strong genetic and language ties to Russia in contrast to the rest of the USSSR. Putin will next find a way to take Belarus, which is already a pseudo puppet state.

I'm of Scottish heritage but I speak Russian fluently and lived in Moscow for 6 months, and have studied Russian history & politics in depth.

The Belarus admin is under Russian control. Alexander Grigoryevich Lukashenko is a pawn of Putin's. No need to invade. Unless the West can get a foothold in there. Anything is possible i suppose. Regarding Putin wanting to put the entire USSR back together. I am unable to read Putin's mind. Please tell me how you did it?

This is straight up propaganda. You are, either intentionally or unintentionally, painting Russia as the victim here.
It is all point if view. Who was the victim the two times Cuba was invaded by the USA? Whatever your answer, you can apply it to Ukraine/Russia.

It is all point if view. Who was the victim the two times Cuba was invaded by the USA? Whatever your answer, you can apply it to Ukraine/Russia.
This won't age well.

Regardless of victim or aggressor, at some point Putin will respond to the West for sanctions and the ruin of Russian economy. You think they perpetrated solarwinds just to see if they could? These plans have long been laid. It will be a ransomware on a much larger scale without need for bloodshed.

Agree with Tawain. They need to be much more prepared for incursion. Should start arming themselves up more now. Good thing for them, they are an island so the closest china can get, without subs, are those little islands they built.

New world war/order… and here I am wondering if I can use depomedrol or not in my esi.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Belarus admin is under Russian control. Alexander Grigoryevich Lukashenko is a pawn of Putin's. No need to invade. Unless the West can get a foothold in there. Anything is possible i suppose. Regarding Putin wanting to put the entire USSR back together. I am unable to read Putin's mind. Please tell me how you did it?
I believe I mentioned most of my credentials. I lived in Russia for six months, speak Russian fluently, have a degree in Russian literature and history, have traveled through Ukraine and Belarus, and have dated women who grew up in all three countries, including a Belarusian for 2 years.

If the political topic was Ecuador, I would bow out, but when discussing Russia and the former soviet republics, I know a thousand times more than you do. So time for you to get real about all you don't know, as you are just a retired guy on the couch in front of a TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I believe I mentioned most of my credentials. I lived in Russia for six months, speak Russian fluently, have a degree in Russian literature and history, have traveled through Ukraine and Belarus, and have dated women who grew up in all three countries, including a belorussian for 2 years.
What Bedrock means is, he’s been inside Mother Russia and then inside Sister Russia, as well

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I believe I mentioned most of my credentials. I lived in Russia for six months, speak Russian fluently, have a degree in Russian literature and history, have traveled through Ukraine and Belarus, and have dated women who grew up in all three countries, including a belorussian for 2 years.

If the political topic was Ecuador, I would bow out, but when discussing Russia and the former soviet republics, I know a thousand times more than you do. So time for you to get real about all you don't know, as you are just a retired guy on the couch in front of a TV.
So what kind of impact do you see this on the US? Economically I think it could represent a boon for US energy companies as we will need to bail out the EU. While we are not directly dependent on Russia for oil, we could get affected indirectly and that could create a window of opportunity for us. I would imagine that with a dem as prez, we will just keep sanctioning for no reason. It’s not like 80+ Biden is amping for direct military action…

how the f$ck did you get thru all that russian literature? i have tried to read Gulag Archipelago, Brothers Karamazov, and a bunch of tolstoy. makes me what to throw the book against the wall -- but I'm afraid it will put a hole in it b/c the books are so heavy. all that stream of consciousness crap. no sentences. just a bunch of words without organized paragraphs thoughts.

ill keep trying , but not willingly.

do you have single title to recommend that wont make me hate life?

• Haha
I believe I mentioned most of my credentials. I lived in Russia for six months, speak Russian fluently, have a degree in Russian literature and history, have traveled through Ukraine and Belarus, and have dated women who grew up in all three countries, including a Belarusian for 2 years.

...I'd like to know more about the Russian and Belarusian women...

Is that true what that guy said? Are you retired? If so, kudos to you. Please let me know as I'd like to ask you some questions.

How about this scenario? Russia fails in achieving it's goal because it's hard to truly assess the determination of those who have nothing to lose. We saw this in Vietnam in the 60s, Israel in 1948, and Afghanistan since I don't know, forever.

The longer this drags on the more others will get dragged into it.

Other areas in Russia who lean towards the west see an opportunity and begin to break away.

Ignorant fantasy or possible reality?

How about this scenario? Russia fails in achieving it's goal because it's hard to truly assess the determination of those who have nothing to lose. We saw this in Vietnam in the 60s, Israel in 1948, and Afghanistan since I don't know, forever.

The longer this drags on the more others will get dragged into it.

Other areas in Russia who lean towards the west see an opportunity and begin to break away.

Ignorant fantasy or possible reality?

I sure hope so. Theres some speculation, no idea how well grounded it is, that Putin's campaign is a desperate attempt to solidify his status within his own country and that if it fails then so does he. Sort of an all-in strategy akin to Crassus in Parthia.

One of my patients had an overseas Ukrainian "fiancee." I was a little skeptical of their relationship until he was able to bring her to the States, she came with him to an appointment. He lost a lot of weight and dressed nicer to match her. I was pleasantly surprised. Then a few months later he said she went back to Ukraine to take care of some things, but was sick for the last 2 months with COVID and hospitalized. Since he didn't speak the language he couldn't get any information from the hospital. So he was ordering hydroxychloroquine in Poland and paying someone to smuggle it to her at the hospital. I wonder if she ever came back.

I sure hope so. Theres some speculation, no idea how well grounded it is, that Putin's campaign is a desperate attempt to solidify his status within his own country and that if it fails then so does he. Sort of an all-in strategy akin to Crassus in Parthia.
Looks look it may be a possibility. Look what just popped up about an hour after my post.

only 4 things russia has going for itself: gas, steel, hackers and hookers

I understand what it means to sanction specific activities of government, but what does it mean to “sanction Putin and his inner circle”? Does this mean somehow take away his money in various international accounts or ?

I understand what it means to sanction specific activities of government, but what does it mean to “sanction Putin and his inner circle”? Does this mean somehow take away his money in various international accounts or ?
Freezing personal accounts of Putin and oligarchs is what I understand this to mean. I watched Biden's presser yesterday and was taken aback by how many times he blatantly ignored this question from the press pool.

I'm pretty sure Putin is prepared for this and doesn't have his retirement account at Vanguard. It's another meaningless symbolic move that will appease a certain portion of the electorate.

I'm pretty sure Putin is prepared for this and doesn't have his retirement account at Vanguard. It's another meaningless symbolic move that will appease a certain portion of the electorate.

Hmm. The way politicos vaunt these “sanctions” make me think there is something more to this…I will do some research (googling) and report back.

• Haha
It’s probably $ used to fund their extracurricular families

Freezing personal accounts of Putin and oligarchs is what I understand this to mean. I watched Biden's presser yesterday and was taken aback by how many times he blatantly ignored this question from the press pool.

you won't find his assets, he's like scrooge mcduck sleeping on a mattress of money and swimming in a vault of gold coins. so tank the oligarchs wealth first Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Putin's war will turn into a protracted insurgency, with infinite supplies of weapons flowing into Ukraine across the border from Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania - all countries protected by NATO with the activated response force now in place. Ukraine is huge for European standards, it's wider than Texas from east to west but around 89% sq km of Texas, so getting supplies and fuel to russian troops ain't gonna be easy especially in the midst of winter

you won't find his assets, he's like scrooge mcduck sleeping on a mattress of money and swimming in a vault of gold coins. so tank the oligarchs wealth first Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Putin's war will turn into a protracted insurgency, with infinite supplies of weapons flowing into Ukraine across the border from Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania - all countries protected by NATO with the activated response force now in place. Ukraine is huge for European standards, it's wider than Texas from east to west but around 89% sq km of Texas, so getting supplies and fuel to russian troops ain't gonna be easy especially in the midst of winter
I'm not entirely sure what would happen if Putin invaded Poland.

I was at my Daddy Daughter Prom tonight. Dancing with her and can't stop thinking about the regular civilians fighting for their lives right now.

There are car mechanics and electricians and plumbers right this very second in gun fights against professional soldiers.

Kiev isn't exactly London or NYC, but it is a modern city and we will see what an insurgency in a modern city looks like.

...can't think of another recent battlefield of this type, and you can't compare Baghdad or any of the Afghan cities to Kiev.

I've heard they're broadcasting Molotov instructions over the radio and handing out AKs to anyone who will take one. I saw the Klitschko bros have taken up arms.

I turned 23 yo in Mosul, Iraq (April 2003). Same age as the guy who broadcasted his telling the gunship to F off.

Edit: Speaking of Mayor (of Kiev) Klitschko and Putin's obvious plan to rebuild the USSR after watching the Berlin Wall collapse and hearing the infamous line, "Moscow is silent," (contrary to the poster above who thinks Putin and Russia are victims - LOL)...

Screenshot_20220225-211424_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Ukrainian woman confronts Russian soldiers with sunflower seeds

I think it's a pipe dream that Ukraine will bog Russia down Mujahideen style. It seems much more like a ww2 type scenario.

best bet is that the russian people or soldiers start a grass-roots resistance

best bet is that the russian people or soldiers start a grass-roots resistance
True.

I just can't see that gaining steam though. Fox reported they're equipped with mobile cremation units FFS. That's utterly wild to me. Information control at the highest level IMO.

I don't believe Russia as a nation can survive without outright state control of every aspect of life. That's historically a command economy and liberalization breaks the machine.

Gorbachev tried that, it collapsed the USSR and Putin is rebuilding that entire mechanism.

With China abstaining from the vote last week, my hopes of isolating Putin are getting less and less.

With success comes more bravado and pride. There's not gonna be an uprising against a national war hero that brings glory to the nation. Anonymous is also not gonna take Russia down.

Putin is calling on the Ukrainian military to overthrow its government. The invasion must not be going as well as he planned.

With success comes more bravado and pride. There's not gonna be an uprising against a national war hero that brings glory to the nation. Anonymous is also not gonna take Russia down.
Q'Anon? NM, I misread your post. I thought we were about to get real for a minute.

Anonymous could have a legitimate impact in terms of propaganda.

how the f$ck did you get thru all that russian literature? i have tried to read Gulag Archipelago, Brothers Karamazov, and a bunch of tolstoy. makes me what to throw the book against the wall -- but I'm afraid it will put a hole in it b/c the books are so heavy. all that stream of consciousness crap. no sentences. just a bunch of words without organized paragraphs thoughts.

ill keep trying , but not willingly.

do you have single title to recommend that wont make me hate life?
Two most accessible titles I would recommend are

One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn, actually his first novel.
A Hero for our Time by Lermontov

LOL. If you speak their language fluently, you don't need/want a mail order bride. All of them are shocked/happy to meet an American who understands their language and culture.
Met all of them organically, some while living in Moscow and others later. Met the belarusian in Boston which has a large Russian/Slavic population. The most beautiful woman I've ever been with and I still kick myself for screwing that up.

Last edited:
Putin is calling on the Ukrainian military to overthrow its government. The invasion must not be going as well as he planned.
Correct. Putin thought he would conquer the country easily and that most of Ukraine would be happy to join him. He was wrong. If Putin had just stopped at the Donbass area of eastern ukraine, he could have taken and held that like Crimea as both areas are mostly Russian natives, speaking Russian who might welcome him, in contrast to the entire rest of the country which is Ukraine in both nationality and language.
Putin was greedy in his attempt to take everything.