When does a med student learn to do abortions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way. How come most people who are against abortion, are for capital punishment? And vice versa?

One of the many things that mystifies me about politics. Maybe that's why I always write in myself for all the elections.

Members don't see this ad.

NEATOMD said:
Maybe we could find a procedure to transfer a fetus from a pregnant woman who doesn't want the fetus to another who would like to, but cannot become pregnant. Ever consider that?

What about the psychological aspect of wanting to have children but not being able to?

What about the psychological aspect of having had an abortion and regretting it later?

What about the psychological aspect of living in a society that kills what one believes are humans deserving full human rights simply because those humans cannot speak to have a voice?

Continuing abortions doesn't address these problems.

Your points are valid and I won't dispute them. We both agree, at least I think, that abortions are a complicated issue with nothing black or white about it. It would be either radical or naive to deny that there are problems with abortions. It is a grey area of human life and yes there are psychological consequences for the woman - we are biologically wired to mourn the loss of even unwanted children. I agree, we should look for ways to minimize abortions- through better sex ed, better financial support for future mothers, etc. I am all for efforts in this area because while I am pro-choice I don't view abortions as a happy event (although for some women it udoubtedly is). Many pro-lifers see pro-choicers as people who are happy and excited about killing fetuses. That's simply not true. WE are concerned about the freedom of choice and health of the mother.
But at the same time, I still say it's wrong to outlaw abortions. I think doing that will cause damage that we can't even begin to predict and reduce the freedoms of this country. We should be very very wary of taking this step, especially based solely on convictions of a certain population segment.

Flea girl said:
What I find a bit amazing is that for an Intern you have an ENORMOUS amount of time to post? Man, so is that what intern life is???!! Or wait is it just you???

Well, I am on call. I don't know what you mean by an enormous amount of time. My posts are generally short you notice because I am being paged every fifteen minutes or so. Besides, SDN is my hobby (along with my blog).

Members don't see this ad :)
ForbiddenComma said:
By the way. How come most people who are against abortion, are for capital punishment? And vice versa?

One of the many things that mystifies me about politics. Maybe that's why I always write in myself for all the elections.
Love the fetus, hate the child.

I have posted earlier about my feelings on this topic and they are just that. However, I think one thing that distinguishes the US from other countries that don't seem to be as "hung up" about abortion (even though they all want to subordinate women) is that we are concerned with when LIFE begins, whereas other countries are concerned with when PERSONHOOD begins. Is a blastula living? Perhaps. Is it a person? I personally don't think so. Perhaps this is why so many pro-choicers are against capital punishment. Cows, lettuce, soybeans are all living things, but they are not people which makes it easier for us to terminate their lives. Capital punishment is the murder of another person--that's harder to deal with.

ForbiddenComma said:

And why are obsessive PETA supporters uniformly Pro-Choice? Never have understood this one.

Perhaps it's another variation of one poster's clever saying,

"Love the Furballs, Hate the Fetus."

bigfrank said:

Didn't think I'd ever respond on a thread like this... but...

I like the sound of that one! :D

(and before the flames begin, you'd just have to know me to understand)

bigfrank said:
And why are obsessive PETA supporters uniformly Pro-Choice? Never have understood this one.

Perhaps it's another variation of one poster's clever saying,

Personaly, I am pro-choice(big surprise) and have a huge problem with PETA. Sorry, to blow your theory!

Panda Bear said:
"Collateral Damage."

"We had to burn the village to save it."

"Reproductive Health."

I know you're trying to be inflammatory. I'm going to let it slide. Abortion is a perfectly legal procedure (or procedures, if we're being technical, since there are several, and some of those procedures have more than one use. A D&C can be done to terminate a pregnancy, or it can be done to clear out tissue after a fetal demise). Sometimes it is necessary. Someone out there has to know how to do it. Clearly, you're not that person, and that's okay.

Flea girl said:
Personaly, I am pro-choice(big surprise) and have a huge problem with PETA. Sorry, to blow your theory!

Affirming the consequent, non sequitur

I may have been mistaken because I wasn't able to construct the argument.
I think it's just a non sequitur (does not follow).

He said that PETA members are uniformly pro-choice. If P -> Q.
You said that you are pro-choice, but have a problem with PETA (and aren't a member). Q -> P, this is the reverse of his argument. Showing that Q does not lead to P does not mean that P does not lead to Q. In order to dispute his premise, you need to be a PETA member who is anti-abortion (or know of one).

Now I'm confused. Here's a link.

Members don't see this ad :)
want2beadoc said:
I may have been mistaken because I wasn't able to construct the argument.
I think it's just a non sequitur (does not follow).

He said that PETA members are uniformly pro-choice. If P -> Q.
You said that you are pro-choice, but have a problem with PETA (and aren't a member). Q -> P, this is the reverse of his argument. Showing that Q does not lead to P does not mean that P does not lead to Q. In order to dispute his premise, you need to be a PETA member who is anti-abortion (or know of one).

Now I'm confused. Here's a link.
Thanks, I was going to leave it alone.

And, fleagirl, good luck finding me a ProLife PETA member. Believe me, I live in one of the most liberal cities in the US and I've tried. :)

bigfrank said:
Thanks, I was going to leave it alone.

And, fleagirl, good luck finding me a ProLife PETA member. Believe me, I live in one of the most liberal cities in the US and I've tried. :)

Here's a candidate for ya: http://notmilk.com/abortion2.html

And another: http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/art-vegprolife.html

And the guy who wrote comment number 3 here: http://polipundit.com/wp-comments-popup.php?p=5373&c=1

And these kids (who seem kind of scary to me): http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm...&MyToken=c42ae498-aa2d-4147-aef6-c3398bc280df

I have a friend who's hardcore vegan and she actually had a hard time fitting in with a significant subset of animal rights activists because she is pro-choice. Most animal rights activists are indeed pro-choice (animals are autonomously viable creatures which have awareness and feel pain - whereas fetuses are not - this was my friend's philosophy) but by no means do all of them feel this way.

trustwomen said:
Here's a candidate for ya: http://notmilk.com/abortion2.html

And another: http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/art-vegprolife.html

And the guy who wrote comment number 3 here: http://polipundit.com/wp-comments-popup.php?p=5373&c=1

And these kids (who seem kind of scary to me): http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm...&MyToken=c42ae498-aa2d-4147-aef6-c3398bc280df

I have a friend who's hardcore vegan and she actually had a hard time fitting in with a significant subset of animal rights activists because she is pro-choice. Most animal rights activists are indeed pro-choice (animals are autonomously viable creatures which have awareness and feel pain - whereas fetuses are not - this was my friend's philosophy) but by no means do all of them feel this way.
Most of the "animal rights" individuals which you've cited are opposed to animal abuse, which is by no means radical and does not meet my criteria of "obsessive PETA supporters." Many of your postings center around religion and not the secular-progressive ideology of PETA.

But it was a vaguely interesting peruse.

Well I am very much pro-choice and also support PETA. Part of what is missing from this debate is a fundamental point of abortion and the original passing of Roe V Wade - privacy and personal autonomy.

It is silly to think that this shouldn't be discussed in med school or wherever b/c we'll never come to an agreement regarding when life begins. That is just a part of the debate. One can believe that life begins at conception yet still support personal choice and the right of the individual to make the decision regarding their future-not someone else or the government making the decision for them. It is the right of EVERY WOMAN - not any man, not any church, or any state - to decide whether or not she wants to carry a pregnancy to term.

It is also well-known that when women do not have access to safe, clean abortions, women die. In fact, 80,000 women a year according to the World Health Organization. So, the term "Pro-Life" is a misnomer, a lie. How do the people who want to take us back to the deadly dark ages of back-alley abortions justify the women, already living and breathing women, who will suffer the consequences of restrictions on abortion rights - let alone an all-out ban?

Being pro-choice is a position for self-determination and privacy.

Well I am very much pro-choice towards all forms of murder. Part of what is missing from this debate is a fundamental point of killing and the original constitutional right to pursuit of happiness - privacy and personal autonomy.

It is silly to think that this shouldn't be discussed in med school or wherever b/c we'll never come to an agreement regarding when life begins. That is just a part of the debate. One can believe that life begins at conception yet still support personal choice and the right of the individual to make the decision (about taking another life) regarding their future-not someone else or the government making the decision for them. It is the right of EVERY PERSON - not any man/woman, not any church, or any state - to decide whether or not he/she wants to kill any other human being (fetus or not).

It is also well-known that when women/men do not have access to safe, clean murder weapons, people die. In fact, 56,597,034 men/women a year according to the CIA World Fact Book. So, the term "Pro-Life" is a misnomer, a lie. How do the people who want to take us back to the deadly dark ages of back-alley killing justify the women/men, already living and breathing women/men, who will suffer the consequences of restrictions on killing rights - let alone an all-out ban?

Makes sense to me too. :thumbup:

NEATOMD said:
Well I am very much pro-choice towards all forms of murder. Part of what is missing from this debate is a fundamental point of killing and the original constitutional right to pursuit of happiness - privacy and personal autonomy.

It is silly to think that this shouldn't be discussed in med school or wherever b/c we'll never come to an agreement regarding when life begins. That is just a part of the debate. One can believe that life begins at conception yet still support personal choice and the right of the individual to make the decision (about taking another life) regarding their future-not someone else or the government making the decision for them. It is the right of EVERY PERSON - not any man/woman, not any church, or any state - to decide whether or not he/she wants to kill any other human being (fetus or not).

It is also well-known that when women/men do not have access to safe, clean murder weapons, people die. In fact, 56,597,034 men/women a year according to the CIA World Fact Book. So, the term "Pro-Life" is a misnomer, a lie. How do the people who want to take us back to the deadly dark ages of back-alley killing justify the women/men, already living and breathing women/men, who will suffer the consequences of restrictions on killing rights - let alone an all-out ban?

Makes sense to me too. :thumbup:
Sometimes liberals can't see the forest (murder) for the trees (autonomy!).

probably one of the more pertainent recent posts in this thread was completely ignored. imagine that!

the fundamental difference between most prolifers and prochoicers is the emphasis on life vs. personhood. does the life of a fetus deserve more respect and consideration than the life of the person? to me, the answer is clearly no.

i'm terrible with formal logical, so i'm sure someone can snidely correct my next statement:

often in medicine we use short acting, powerful benzo's to produce amnesia of a painful procedure during which the patient is technically awake (though pretty much gorked to the max). but because of the drug, the patient will have no memory of the event. we consider this an ok thing to do. an example would be conscious sedation for wisdom tooth removal (although i actually do have a little bit of memory from mine - it's not an unpleasent memory - very strange, and probably better suited for a different thread).

a fetus does not form concious memories. do you remember being a fetus? i don't. and i've never met anyone who does. and hence, i find it reprehensible that certain groups spend so much time/money/effort protecting the unborn when there are many - orders of magnitude - more children in the US and especially around the world suffereing, dying, starving, being killed in genocide, dying from diseases like TB and malaria and typhoid we can easily treat in the first world, and contracting HIV via the birthing process because their mothers can't get a few dollars (or is a few cents?) worth of anti-retrovirals. i really think it's disgusting.

or i guess maybe that unborn americans really are worth more than those suffering - and quite aware of their own suffering - right now all over the world.

Happy to have posted something pertinent to someone.

stoic said:
a fetus does not form concious memories. do you remember being a fetus? i don't. and i've never met anyone who does. and hence, i find it reprehensible that certain groups spend so much time/money/effort protecting the unborn when there are many - orders of magnitude - more children in the US and especially around the world suffereing, dying, starving, being killed in genocide, dying from diseases like TB and malaria and typhoid we can easily treat in the first world, and contracting HIV via the birthing process because their mothers can't get a few dollars (or is a few cents?) worth of anti-retrovirals. i really think it's disgusting.

or i guess maybe that unborn americans really are worth more than those suffering - and quite aware of their own suffering - right now all over the world.
OK, so here's my proposal: We nuke the entire continent of Africa, it'll be quick, painless, cheap, and they won't remember a thing. And, if we have enough bombs left over, lets do away with Central America as well. As long as they don't form conscious memories of the event, it's OK, right?

Or, if you would like, it would cost a bit more, but we could administer anesthetics to the entire continent and then blow em' up. It's ok, we can kill them, they won't remember a thing. For those that die, no conscious memories will be formed.

It's the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to rid them of all their conscious suffering.

I'm a little curious though. I'd like to know what the ability to form conscious memories has to do with whether killing someone is right or not? If, you sedate someone, then intentionally kill them, I'm pretty sure they're gonna put you in the slammer. Even further, people with certain forms of anmesia don't form conscious memories either...so, you should be able to kill them without having to go to jail as well. Following your line of reasoning: their just leaches to society anyway, draining resources that we could be putting elsewhere.

stoic said:

The glaring and annoying flaw with YOUR logic is that you are inflicting your calloused view of life on the rest of humanity.

What about mentally ******ed individuals or comatose ones? If we can prove they are not actively suffering and/or going to remember the horrific event, are we justified in doing away with them?

Sheesh. Your post proves that there is very little deep/critical thinking going on in most liberal circles in America.

bigfrank said:
The glaring and annoying flaw with YOUR logic is that you are inflicting your calloused view of life on the rest of humanity.

Sheesh.
I thought that was the whole point of the abortion debate and why it will never rest. Because both sides inflict their views on life on the other. And each thinks they are right.

But to counter your ideas with one of my orginal posts: fine, no more abortions. However, whenever a child is born without access to the fundamental services that each human on this planet deserves, I will turn to you to foot the bill. Fair? Oh, you probably already think you are doing this.

gdbaby said:
But to counter your ideas with one of my orginal posts: fine, no more abortions. However, whenever a child is born without access to the fundamental services that each human on this planet deserves, I will turn to you to foot the bill. Fair? Oh, you probably already think you are doing this.
Sure, but if it becomes TOO DIFFICULT for me, can I send them to you for sedation and lethal injection?

bigfrank said:
Sure, but if it becomes TOO DIFFICULT for me, can I send them to you for sedation and lethal injection?
Deal.

bigfrank said:
Awesome, case closed, I think we solved the problem!
This could have been wrapped up pages ago! The answer was so simple. Geez, BigFrank, despite our conflicting views on probably every social and public health problem (I am just assuming based on this thread), perhaps we should go into some consulting business together.

Is this debate really closed =). Well, assuming that it isn’t, I’d like to interject with a logical argument on abortion’s morality and an opinion on abortion’s legality.

I usually stay away from debates like these because it tends to bring out the worst in people whether aligned to the right or left. I consider myself a political centrist, although I guess I do often take the conservative viewpoint.

--

It's necessary to separate the morality and legality of an issue. I believe that abortion is morally wrong (my reasons are below) but that it may be necessary for the time being (“wrong but necessary” isn’t a novel concept – just war theory takes a similar position). It is quite wrong to say that abortion is a religious opinion, as some people here have been arguing. Please follow the argument below before responding.

Morality
This is not a novel argument, but it hasn’t been brought up here and I’ve yet to see it debunked:

One of the few things that people here seem to be agreed on (and rightly so) is the fact that it’s currently difficult, if not impossible, to definitively determine in an uncontroversial way whether the unborn entity is a human being or not. There are intelligent and informed people, both scientists and physicians, on either side of the debate pulling for their respective sides. It would be presumptuous and probably erroneous to entirely discredit either side (and this is true for most political issues). Roe vs. Wade itself acknowledges this (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=410&invol=113 - Section IX B). However, for the issue of abortion, this stalemate is exactly what makes resolving the debate possible.

Given that there is no uncontroversial way to determine whether the unborn is human or not, it is morally impermissible to abort the unborn.

Two common examples:
1) You are a building demolitions manager. You are contracted to knock down a building. Two mobs picket your office. One mob tells you that the building is empty. One mob tells you that there is someone in the building. It then becomes morally impermissible to demolish that building, knowing that it is possible (within reason) that a human may be inside.
2) You are hunting and hear movement in the bushes. You are obliged to not shoot until you are absolutely certain that it is not a human in those bushes (Hah! This sheds an ironic light on Cheney’s hunting accident). It would be morally irresponsible to risk the loss of a human life.

Put philosophically:
Abortion kills something. What is debated is whether what abortion kills is more akin to a tissue cell (or tumor, parasite, etc.) or a human being. Before taking life or liberty away from something (whether it be a skin growth or human), “prosecution” must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the entity is either guilty or not human. In democratic law, prosecution must prove beyond reasonable doubt that a human entity is guilty before taking away life or liberty. In the case of abortion, “prosecution” must prove beyond reasonable doubt that an innocent entity is not human before taking away life, because it is that humanity that gives the entity natural rights to life and liberty in the first place.

Put simply:
You must err on the side of safety.

In light of this argument, it is less accurate to say that abortion is morally impermissible and more accurate to say that the unborn must be considered human. Therefore, abortion is not immoral as long as the unborn is afforded the same natural rights as a born human is. For example, if both the mother and her unborn child are certain to die during the birth of the child, it is morally permissible to abort the child. In this case, the unborn child’s life is being treated with equal respect as the mother’s life.

This logic, of course, is open to argument. But any line of reason against this has to be argued logically. Ways to do this include:

Proving beyond reasonable doubt that the unborn is not a human being.
This is what debate has raged over for years. Most reasonable people agree that you cannot prove that one side or the other is wrong. However, from a persuasive inertia perspective, it’s actually easier for the pro-choicers to bring pro-lifers their way than vice-versa, since being pro-choice seems more convenient and because “reasonable doubt” is really such a soft term, especially when used outside the court. But I’d encourage integrity when considering issues like abortion.

Proving that it is morally permissible to kill an innocent human being.
The killing of an innocent human just flies every-which-way in the face of common morality. That shouldn’t need explanation. Some would try to prove that the unborn is not “innocent” but this reasoning doesn’t hold much promise since: 1) by the time the argument of whether or not the unborn is innocent begins, it has already been conceded that the unborn is human, since you can’t label a tissue cell “guilty;” 2) innocence is presumed until proven guilty; and 3) proving beyond reasonable doubt that an unborn child is guilty of something deserving death is rather difficult, since the death penalty usually requires a conscious choice.

Again, this argument is open to rational arguments. But please, if you are going to argue this, counter-argue the logic of this argument rather than form a novel argument (no red herrings please). Otherwise, I believe it stands that abortion is morally wrong.

Legality
The legality of abortion is an entirely different debate, since legality takes into account social consequence and other effects peripheral to the morality of an act. I confess that I’m nothing of an expert on this matter (or anything else, really) and that there are many more people in the public arena far, far more knowledgeable and qualified to address this issue.

I do know that if abortions become illegal, pro-lifers (and pro-choicers) must be more willing to adopt, orphanages must be held to a higher level of care, and I could go on and on. I also know that it is possible that millions of innocent human beings are being killed each year. And that possibility alone, for the same reasons that I am going to D.C. next Sunday for the Darfur genocide rally, is enough for me to feel that abortion should eventually be made illegal. This, of course, is just my opinion. I could quote studies and expert opinions all day long, but I’m sure that the other side has just as many studies and expert opinions that are just as persuasive.

So in summary. Abortion: Morally wrong. Legally questionable. While people do immoral things everyday without the government stepping in, I would like those who would use abortion as a form of birth control to know that aborting an unborn child is almost always morally wrong.

Oookkkkaayy. Well that’s enough for today. I’m going to try to stay off of this thread for as long as possible so I don’t get sucked in.

Yay I wrote a textbook.

bigfrank said:

Oh, and you aren't? :rolleyes:

an aborted fetus never knows it's alive; so no, i don't think that it's nearly as bad as letting those who are aware of their own suffering suffer.

disagree?

NEATOMD said:
I'm a little curious though. I'd like to know what the ability to form conscious memories has to do with whether killing someone is right or not? If, you sedate someone, then intentionally kill them, I'm pretty sure they're gonna put you in the slammer. Even further, people with certain forms of anmesia don't form conscious memories either...so, you should be able to kill them without having to go to jail as well. Following your line of reasoning: their just leaches to society anyway, draining resources that we could be putting elsewhere.

fetuses don't ever know they are alive before they are aborted! duh! that's the difference. there is no suffering - aside from that of the mother - involved in an abortion.

and don't even pretend we, as american's do nearly enough to help those who are living and suffereing right now both in our own country and around the world. my concern lies with these people; not with a fetus that will never know the difference between being born and being aborted. sound harsh? no more harsh than the 45 million in our "developed" country without insurance.

our priorities are so fu(ked up in america.

Scubadoc said:
No offense, but when people come on here, sign up, and have something like this as their first post, they lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. If you believe strongly enough in something to write a tome about it, back it up by posting under your usual screen name. And don't even try to tell me you just happened to find this website, just happened to stumble into Allopathic of all places, and just happened to stumble into this thread and decided to post. That defies all odds.

You are entirely correct and no offense taken. I normally feel the exact same way. Explanation: I maintain "clean" accounts - I have separate email addresses for my "real" email and my "spam" email. I imagine that some people here would have nothing better to do than crowd my PM box with hate messages. Those people are free to do that on this account, but I'd rather keep my other account clean.

In any case, I actually am somewhat new (my other "real" sn is less than 3 weeks old) to the forum.

So your feelings are understandable. But in any case, what you said had nothing to do with the actual meat of the post. How credible you think or don't think I am has nothing to do with the logic of the argument I made. How strongly I feel or don't feel about something has nothing to do with its logic. How long an argument is has nothing to do with veracity, though I did make it as clear and succinct as I could while being thorough. So rather than skirt the issue, please provide your opinion. :)

stoic said:
fetuses don't ever know they are alive before they are aborted! duh! that's the difference. there is no suffering - aside from that of the mother - involved in an abortion.

and don't even pretend we, as american's do nearly enough to help those who are living and suffereing right now both in our own country and around the world. my concern lies with these people; not with a fetus that will never know the difference between being born and being aborted. sound harsh? no more harsh than the 45 million in our "developed" country without insurance.

I agree that we don't do enough to help those who are living and suffering right now in the US and globally. Personally, I'm all for helping and giving to other countries and the poor and I do.

However, I fail to see how knowing you are alive has anything to do with whether or not it acceptable to kill someone. Consider the comatose for instance.

My concern lies with both.

This thread needs an abortion.

NEATOMD said:
I agree that we don't do enough to help those who are living and suffering right now in the US and globally. Personally, I'm all for helping and giving to other countries and the poor and I do.

However, I fail to see how knowing you are alive has anything to do with whether or not it acceptable to kill someone. Consider the comatose for instance.

Because the comatose person was once aware of being alive. And they could be aware of being alive in the future (but the first sentence is more important in this debate.) If they have zero chance of future awareness, we frequently turn off the ventilator's and disconnect the feeding tubes on these patients which kills them.

pillowhead said:
If they have zero chance of future awareness, we frequently turn off the ventilator's and disconnect the feeding tubes on these patients which kills them.
Of course, if it is determined to be the patient's choice/wishes. Which is a big problem with abortion.

so basically bigfrank and neato, you are telling my wife and i what we must do with an unplanned pregnancy? so it's your choice what happens? so if contraception fails, and we have an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy right now, you, bigfrank and neato, who have never met myself or my wife will be making this decision for us? and if we absolutely do not want to carry a pregnancy to term right now it doesn't matter, b/c your views have been imposed on all of us (assuming your desire to have abortion illegal again happens). and you honestly think that's ok?

sportsman said:
so basically bigfrank and neato, you are telling my wife and i what we must do with an unplanned pregnancy? so it's your choice what happens? so if contraception fails, and we have an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy right now, you, bigfrank and neato, who have never met myself or my wife will be making this decision for us? and if we absolutely do not want to carry a pregnancy to term right now it doesn't matter, b/c your views have been imposed on all of us (assuming your desire to have abortion illegal again happens). and you honestly think that's ok?
Honestly, I do. I also would ask you not to murder anyone else, if that's OK.

NEATOMD said:

How about quality of life? Is that an important issue for you as well? I'm really just curious because it seems that some people take right-to-life to an extreme. I don't know what I would do if I were dying of Huntingdon's but I do know that if I were braindead I wouldn't want to be kept alive. I think its fine to have pro-life views, but I really think that we should butt out of how other adults choose to live/end their lives.

yposhelley said:
How about quality of life? Is that an important issue for you as well? I'm really just curious because it seems that some people take right-to-life to an extreme. I don't know what I would do if I were dying of Huntingdon's but I do know that if I were braindead I wouldn't want to be kept alive. I think its fine to have pro-life views, but I really think that we should butt out of how other adults choose to live/end their lives.
Thanks goodness this mindset wasn't pervasive during our decision of not to "butt out" of Germany in WW II.

stoic said:
and don't even pretend we, as american's do nearly enough to help those who are living and suffereing right now both in our own country and around the world.

Are you a fruit seller? That is, are you one who sells fruit?

Med_Leviathan said:
Are you a fruit seller? That is, are you one who sells fruit?

And this relates to the topic...how?

Seriously, doesn't anyone see that the OP is a troll? And...he has succeeded ....247 times.

TypeA said:
And this relates to the topic...how?

Because he used an apostrophe in the way a greengrocer does. "Apple's for sale" and all that. It's very frustrating to encounter that type of error when one is trying to converse above an elementary school level.

sportsman said:
Go read the previous posts, this has all been covered already.

PS: Sit back, take a deep breath and breath slow...

bigfrank said:
Thanks goodness this mindset wasn't pervasive during our decision of not to "butt out" of Germany in WW II.

:laugh: The first reference to the Nazis. A sure sign of a necrotic thread. It won't be long now...

yposhelley said:
:laugh: The first reference to the Nazis. A sure sign of a necrotic thread. It won't be long now...
you said the word, not me.

Funny how you knew what I was talking about though. ;)

Funny how anytime someone on SDN has no rebuttal, they insert the --> :laugh: logo.

bigfrank said:
Funny how you knew what I was talking about though.

Yeah. It was hard because people don't usually associate WWII Germany with Nazis. I don't know how I managed to make the connection.

yposhelley said:
Yeah. It was hard because people don't usually associate WWII Germany with Nazis. I don't know how I managed to make the connection.
Your Step I score must have been out of this world!!!

Surely, with the ridiculous # of posts, you must have taken at least one. :eek:

bigfrank said:
Your Step I score must have been out of this world!!!

Surely, with the ridiculous # of posts, you must have taken at least one. :eek:

This is really creepy. I opened this thread with the intention of mentioning that this was the first time I've ever seen bigfrank post in a thread without mentioning his step I score... and here he is, bringing up step I. Creepy, but hilarious.