What Happens When You Don't Match..Residency Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Of these unmatched students, nearly one-half had been discussed in promotions committees at their schools, indicating they had performance problems, said Geoffrey Young, senior director of student affairs and programs at AAMC. (second link you posted."

Most of the time people do not match is because of unrealistic residency ranking of specialties. when this happens, they have a chance to enter a scramble and match for another unmatched hospital residency slot so long as the hospital wants them there. Be realistic with your rankings and speciality choices. I really believe more residency slots will be funded by the government in the coming years.

The new guy Tom Price wants more funding for GME. At first I thought this meant higher pay fore residents, then I realized he probably just wants more residency slots which I hope doesnt happen. I'd rather have a slightly harder time matching now, than a saturated job market in the future.