What's with all the "Dropping out of Med"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The fact that medical education revolves around the lowest form of learning: rote memorization. Grades are a consequence of that, I suppose. Physiology, biochem, genetics, and molec bio are interesting because there is some problem solving. Everything else, especially anatomy, is disgustingly tedious. I've been struggling to find the motivation to study because I don't care whether or not I can remember what muscle x is, or which nerves innervate what. I mean it is clinically relevant, but I dread sitting down for a multi-hour stretch and pounding this inane bull**** into my brain. I can't see the rest of MS1 or MS2 getting any better, so...
Um who told you that Biochemistry and Cell Biology were problem solving? Those are complete memorization courses. Not every course you're going to take will have a "problem" to solve --- no matter how much PBL **** you get. Sometimes it's just knowing the information. That's the way basic sciences is, although at some it is probably watered down - nursing, PA, maybe dentistry, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it would be interesting to survey the people who are constantly complaining and find out if they have had any other life experiences such as testing the job market in today's economy and/or trying other areas of work, etc and then see if they would still be complaining. My feeling is a lack of perspective coupled with the entitlist attitudes of many med students leads them down a scary emotional road once they understand what med school really is
For about a year after graduating college, I worked a job with a demanding schedule and inhospitable to dangerous work conditions. It objectively sucked and the turnover was extremely high. Compared to med school, it was an enjoyable experience.
Um who told you that Biochemistry and Cell Biology were problem solving? Those are complete memorization courses. Not every course you're going to take will have a "problem" to solve --- no matter how much PBL **** you get. Sometimes it's just knowing the information. That's the way basic sciences is, although at some it is probably watered down - nursing, PA, maybe dentistry, etc.
I've already taken biochem/cell bio/genetics block. There was some problem solving -- not much, but enough to keep me interested and entertained.

These threads are mostly neurotic premeds who happened to get into med school and now can't handle not getting in the 90s on every test. Either grow the **** up or GTFO.
Not exactly. But thanks for your contribution.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Pre-health Field undecided"
Thank you sir, you can return to your seat
Scholar-Armchair-Destroyed-Raw-weathered-oak-legs-h.jpg

I actually have had a very similar experience in regards to another schooling and am offering some helpful advice based on experience. It might be worth it for you to reconsider that you have no clue who is writing this info behind the walls of the internet and disrespecting individuals (whether on the internet or in person) is just downright immature.

Reactions: 1 users
it would be interesting to survey the people who are constantly complaining and find out if they have had any other life experiences such as testing the job market in today's economy and/or trying other areas of work, etc and then see if they would still be complaining. My feeling is a lack of perspective coupled with the entitlist attitudes of many med students leads them down a scary emotional road once they understand what med school really is
You're know what's more "entitlist"? A Pre-Health (Field Undecided) student lecturing to med students. But please feel free to grace them with you your perspective that they so lack.

You're know what's more "entitlist"? A Pre-Health (Field Undecided) student lecturing to med students. But please feel free to grace them with you your perspective that they so lack.

We have someone here who is genuinely reaching out for help, why can't everyone just be nice and give him some perspective based on your experiences rather than sit here and talk like an ignorant person

We have someone here who is genuinely reaching out for help, why can't everyone just be nice and give him some perspective based on your experiences rather than sit here and talk like an ignorant person
It is unfortunate you have this type of attitude when someone is seeking real help, I feel bad that these personalities fill the internet
The OP is an MS-2 avidly looking for Derm research (based on previous threads). He is not a person who is wanting help. He's asking a question about threads that have popped up lately.

The OP is an MS-2 avidly looking for Derm research (based on previous threads). He is not a person who is wanting help. He's asking a question about threads that have popped up lately.

No, there is someone in this thread, who if you read all his posts, you will see is struggling and could really use some guided information to help him make the best decision.

No, there is someone in this thread, who if you read all his posts, you will see is struggling and could really use some guided information to help him make the best decision.
I don't need guidance, I'm just explaining why I think medical school sucks balls.

I hope you're not talking about circulus vitios. He has been complaining before med school even started. He doesn't need guidance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have had a very similar experience in regards to another schooling and am offering some helpful advice based on experience. It might be worth it for you to reconsider that you have no clue who is writing this info behind the walls of the internet and disrespecting individuals (whether on the internet or in person) is just downright immature.

Yeah, maturity is dismissing other people's concerns without experience or data. Not buying it.

I think maturity would be demonstrated by keeping your mouth shut when someone tells you they're unhappy. Not telling them it's not justified.

If an attending or resident wants to rip on students, I can get that. They've been through it, and so they can make whatever statement they want to. Their experience is relevant and important.

The reason I'm mocking your post is that you're in a forum designed for medical students to share their experiences.

It's sort of like you're a guy talking to a lady giving birth "you wouldn't think this was so bad if you'd passed a kidney stone!!" Might be true, but it's not helpful.

If I have to read yet another thread that just devolves into...

"I'm the best qualified person to give advice"
"No, I'm the best qualified. You're not experienced"
"Yes I am because XYZ"
"Nuh uh"
"Yea huh"

... then I might have to drop out of medicine.

Nuh uh!

Yeah, maturity is dismissing other people's concerns without experience or data. Not buying it.

I think maturity would be demonstrated by keeping your mouth shut when someone tells you they're unhappy. Not telling them it's not justified.

If an attending or resident wants to rip on students, I can get that. They've been through it, and so they can make whatever statement they want to. Their experience is relevant and important.

The reason I'm mocking your post is that you're in a forum designed for medical students to share their experiences.

It's sort of like you're a guy talking to a lady giving birth "you wouldn't think this was so bad if you'd passed a kidney stone!!" Might be true, but it's not helpful.
The guy thought circulous vitios was a person really asking for advice and help. That should tell you something.

If I have to read yet another thread that just devolves into...

"I'm the best qualified person to give advice"
"No, I'm the best qualified. You're not experienced"
"Yes I am because XYZ"
"Nuh uh"
"Yea huh"

... then I might have to drop out of medicine.
Just don't do it in the middle of bronching a patient.

Med school sucks... I am leaving in December.

I guess the bigger question is what things can an undergrad (or even before that) do to make them 1-2 SDs above the mean. Go to a better college that challenges them? Do research to spur critical thinking skills?
Look at what medical school is and how you are tested and evaluated. Are you really prepared for that. One may not be prepared at all depending on their previous classwork and personality.
You need to be able to sit down and memorize a lot of facts. Thousands and thousands of facts. Hopefully you retain the clinically important things.
Then you need to be able to process a lot of potentially related data and look for connections and how x+y+z might equal conditions A, B or C.
Then you need to be able to successfully streamline all of that into coherent couple minute long presentations which you deliver to small groups several times a day.
All the while being peppered with questions about minutiae you forgot long ago and concerns about your ability to edit your presentations and of the validity of your hypotheses. And you've been up since 5am and won't be making dinner with your lady friend since the attending wants to round again at 7pm.
Oh, and don't forget that you're constantly being compared to everyone else around you, including residents that have infinitely more experience.
Figure out how to prepare yourself for that.

Last edited:
The fact that medical education revolves around the lowest form of learning: rote memorization. Grades are a consequence of that, I suppose. Physiology, biochem, genetics, and molec bio are interesting because there is some problem solving. Everything else, especially anatomy, is disgustingly tedious. I've been struggling to find the motivation to study because I don't care whether or not I can remember what muscle x is, or which nerves innervate what. I mean it is clinically relevant, but I dread sitting down for a multi-hour stretch and pounding this inane bull**** into my brain. I can't see the rest of MS1 or MS2 getting any better, so...

M2 is better champ

@circulus vitios Nursing sucks too... to become a CRNA, you still have to do nursing and work for 2 years :(. PA/PharmD are better... I am signing up to take the PCAT to see if I can a spot for pharmacy class of 2019...

Look at what medical school is and how you are tested and evaluated. Are you really prepared for that. One may not be prepared at all depending on their previous classwork and personality.
You need to be able to sit down and memorize a lot of facts. Thousands and thousands of facts. Hopefully you retain the clinically important things.
Then you need to be able to process a lot of potentially related data and look for connections and how x+y+z might equal conditions A, B or C.
Then you need to be able to successfully streamline all of that into coherent couple minute long presentations which you deliver to small groups several times a day.
All the while being peppered with questions about minutea you forgot long ago and concerns about your ability to edit your presentations and of the validity of your hypotheses. And you've been up since 5am and won't be making dinner with your lady friend since the attending wants to round again at 7pm.
Oh, and don't forget that you're constantly being compared to everyone else around you, including residents that have infinitely more experience.
Figure out how to prepare yourself for that.
Unfortunately, we don't have pre-med school matriculation metrics to measure that, as you well know, and also you're a very mean and cruel person.

@circulus vitios Nursing sucks too... to become a CRNA, you still have to do nursing and work for 2 years :(. PA/PharmD are better... I am signing up to take the PCAT to see if I can a spot for pharmacy class of 2019...
Nursing education is way ****ing easier than medical school. Breeze through a 4 year bachelors in nursing, work in an ICU for 3 years to gain experience ($50k/yr x3 years), then go to CRNA school for 28 months and come out making $150k/yr at 28 years old. Pay off all of your educational debt in a year or two and enjoy an upper middle class life. If nursing anesthesia ever ****s the bed, then switch back to plain old nursing and work your way into nursing administration for nearly the same money.

Are you seriously leaving in December? What are your plans?

Friend is in pharm... pharm = med... just no residency... you learn almost same material (except no ECGs in cardio, and no physical exams) except more minutiae cuz of drugs

Nursing education is way ******* easier than medical school. Breeze through a 4 year bachelors in nursing, work in an ICU for 3 years to gain experience ($50k/yr x3 years), then go to CRNA school for 28 months and come out making $150k/yr at 28 years old. Pay off all of your educational debt in a year or two and enjoy an upper middle class life. If nursing anesthesia ever ****s the bed, then switch back to plain old nursing and work your way into nursing administration for nearly the same money.
So then knowing that (since you were a non-traditional and in theory weighed all types of options before making the switch), why did you choose medical school?

Friend is in pharm... pharm = med... just no residency... you learn almost same material (except no ECGs in cardio, and no physical exams) except more minutiae cuz of drugs
:rolleyes:

So then knowing that (since you were a non-traditional and in theory weighed all types of options before making the switch), why did you choose medical school?
Because I didn't really have a plan until senior year of undergrad, and by then it was too late to switch majors to nursing because I had exhausted my federal undergrad loans. My degree is useless so I was like, screw it let's apply to medical school and see what happens. I mean I still want to be a doctor.

Pharm isn't any better. A lot of my pharm friends are miserable (tons of exams, actually less time for outside activities), and a few of them are considering a different career, but they're just finishing out their degrees because they've already put in 5 years.

@circulus vitios Nursing is definitely way easier, but the sh1t you have to deal with during clinical i.e cleaning up bodily fluid is not... I was not interested in anesthesia anyway so that was why I never thought about CRNA. I am thinking about taking the PCAT/GRE and apply to pharm/PA schools. That plan is not set in stone yet. I will contact some schools (PA/PharmD) and if they told me that because I drop out of med school that my chance to get in will be low, I am staying....

Last edited:
@qw098 I have a former classmate from nursing school who did pharmacy and she was able to work part time while going to pharmacy school... She is not the most intelligent person that I know... I am not sure pharm school is as intense as med... My friend is making 130k+ right now as a pharmacist and she likes it... I should have listened to her when she told me to leave nursing as quick as I can and go to pharm school.

If pharm=med, why do they have so much free time to play ping pong?

Because I didn't really have a plan until senior year of undergrad, and by then it was too late to switch majors to nursing because I had exhausted my federal undergrad loans. My degree is useless so I was like, screw it let's apply to medical school and see what happens. I mean I still want to be a doctor.
What did you mean you didn't have a plan until senior year of undergrad? You took premed requirements thru out your 4 years of undergrad right? You also don't have to have a BSN to enter nursing school. I don't know anyone who says in senior year, "Hey! I'll just apply to med school" and get it in that upcoming fall.

The majority of the people just starting med school who are NOT dropping out are probably too busy studying to post sunshine and daisies on SDN to balance out the gloom posts.

what? speak up
It isn't obvious? You're making the same foolish assumptions on another professional school you made prior to entering medical school.

If pharm=med, why do they have so much free time to play ping pong?
Maybe bc they know how to balance work and their life better during basic sciences, unlike you.

Pharm isn't any better. A lot of my pharm friends are miserable (tons of exams, actually less time for outside activities), and a few of them are considering a different career, but they're just finishing out their degrees because they've already put in 5 years.
This is what annoys me that some people here are not getting. Basic science is basic science. The dental students are taught physiology by the same professors and have the same materials (course packs, textbooks, etc.) as the medical students are. Guyton has not changed.

If you truly still want to be a doctor, more than being a nurse or CRNA, then suck it up and put your nose to the grindstone for the next year and a half. It sucks, and maybe you should take a LOA to fully consider what you want to do, but realize the grass is never greener on the other side. I think you will enjoy 3rd year more than pre-clinical, as most people do.
It's busier and you have less time for yourself, but it is SO much better.

If you don't think you can get through the next 2 years, then sure go do something else. But don't delude yourself into thinking that there won't be equally crappy things about CRNA or pharm or PA.

Reactions: 5 users

Graduating pharmacy school this May. Going to medical school next fall. Everyone has their own opinion, but pharmacy is absolutely bogus from my experiences. Expect salaries to decrease. Jobs are already extremely difficult to get (look at how many pharmacy schools have opened up over the past few years) and retail pharmacy will drive a sane mad mad. The majority of your time spent in school will be pompous preceptors and professors justifying the importance of a pharmacist, trying to make a "doctorate" seem necessary in their titles (pharmacy was a two year bachelor's degree not all that long ago). By all means, if you really think you will love it, then pursue it but DEFINITELY get your shadowing in so you are not surprised by what the nature of pharmacy entails. I rashly switched from pre-med to pharmacy without any exposure in the field, and paid for it down the road as I am unhappy in this career. Better hours, less intense training and less responsibility than a doctor? Yes. But it all comes at a price. Pharmacy is great for someone who doesn't care about how meaningful their job is and just wants to make a decent paycheck without working too hard (for hospital pharmacists that is. In retail pharmacy, you get worked like a dog, similar to a fast food worker). Healthcare is a demanding field in general, in one way or another. All jobs have pros and cons to them; the difficult part is figuring out which career has the better pro:con ratio in terms of your goals and lifestyle. A shocking proportion of my 150 person class wishes they went medicine/vet/dental or just regrets pharmacy in general. Many students even claim they went pharmacy because they knew they couldn't get into medical school. It seems many people are dissatisfied in healthcare fields regardless of title. Whether it's mid-level practitioners constantly justifying their equality to doctors, disgruntled pharmacists or burnt out physicians, the grass always appears greener. Good luck with your pursuit of pharmacy, just make sure you get some good exposure to it first so you can really compare it to your path in medicine.

Reactions: 5 users
This is what annoys me that some people here are not getting. Basic science is basic science. The dental students are taught physiology by the same professors and have the same materials (course packs, textbooks, etc.) as the medical students are. Guyton has not changed.

Are we the only other ones who take all the classes with you med students the two years? Don't think I saw anyone else in there, but who knows

Are we the only other ones who take all the classes with you med students the two years? Don't think I saw anyone else in there, but who knows
It definitely varies by school - I believe Harvard still does this. I just think it's funny that some med students here think that somehow a PhD professor in Biochemistry is going to make 3 different versions of their lectures that is some how hard for the med students, "easier" for the dental students, and I guess "easiest" for the pharmacy students. Getting them to make one good version of their lecture with a good powerpoint is hard enough of a battle in and of itself.

Pharmacy is great for someone who doesn't care about how meaningful their job is and just wants to make a decent paycheck without working too hard (for hospital pharmacists that is. In retail pharmacy, you get worked like a dog, similar to a fast food worker). Healthcare is a demanding field in general, in one way or another. All jobs have pros and cons to them; the difficult part is figuring out which career has the better pro:con ratio in terms of your goals and lifestyle. A shocking proportion of my 150 person class wishes they went medicine/vet/dental or just regrets pharmacy in general. Many students even claim they went pharmacy because they knew they couldn't get into medical school. It seems many people are dissatisfied in healthcare fields regardless of title. Whether it's mid-level practitioners constantly justifying their equality to doctors, disgruntled pharmacists or burnt out physicians, the grass always appears greener. Good luck with your pursuit of pharmacy, just make sure you get some good exposure to it first so you can really compare it to your path in medicine.
I think circulus vitios just found his calling.

It definitely varies by school - I believe Harvard still does this. I just think it's funny that some med students here think that somehow a PhD professor in Biochemistry is going to make 3 different versions of their lectures that is some how hard for the med students, "easier" for the dental students, and I guess "easiest" for the pharmacy students. Getting them to make one good version of their lecture with a good powerpoint is hard enough of a battle in and of itself.

There are other schools that still do it besides Preparation H :p

Also, 130k after taxes is not that much $...depending on your lifestyle and where you live
Well your lifestyle is quite different to maintain than for a lot of us. :p

I think circulus vitios just found his calling.
Except pharmacy school is expensive. If this doesn't work out, I'll go back to my old job or explore other career options. I'm done pumping money into the educational system.

Except pharmacy school is expensive. If this doesn't work out, I'll go back to my old job or explore other career options. I'm done pumping money into the educational system.
All 3-4 year professional schools (Dentistry, Law, Medical School) are expensive. I don't know about Physical Therapy, Optometry, etc. but I believe those professions don't have a residency and their lifestyle is much more normal.