What's in a typical Workday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSBeagle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I would like to know what a typical day of a cardiologist is like. I dont mean general lifestyle, I just want to know how a day is in the life of the general cardiologist, EP and interventional. I'm not asking for this to influence a decision since it is far in my future; I'm just curious about what you guys do in a typical day. Thanks and by the way I think cardiologists have one of if not the most amazing job!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still in residency so I can't yet comment on this firsthand, but a typical workday varies tremendously depending on the practice setting, from academic cardiology with a research focus to a busy private clinical cardiologist. Most EP/Interventional cardiologists in practice will spend ~ 2 days a week in the office evaluating patients pre/post procedurally, and will spend the remaining days in the cath or EP lab doing procedures. Even on clinic days (for a private practice cardiologist at least), they would be required to round on their inpatients (often with the help of a PA). Call is everywhere from every 3rd to 7th day, and is typically general cardiology call (in the private setting).

Members don't see this ad :)
Myostatin are you MD/PhD or MD/MS in research or mD w/ research honors or are you just an MD who devotes some of his/her time to research?

MD with significant research experience and an interest in basic research (no PhD)