typical weekly schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CassieBagley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nothing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For cardiology fellows and cardiologist attending, what is a typical week like in terms of number of hours doing a given activity?

Looking for any and all insight into the work load, number of hours, and type of work of a fellow as well as attending (non-interventional and interventional)

It is like Monday through Friday 8 to 4, 35 hrs a week. Weekends and night off. Something like this. And you get paid 500,000+

It is like Monday through Friday 8 to 4, 35 hrs a week. Weekends and night off. Something like this. And you get paid 500,000+

Don't forget to multiply the time estimates by two, and divide the compensation in half, then... it about right...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
For cardiology fellows and cardiologist attending, what is a typical week like in terms of number of hours doing a given activity?

Looking for any and all insight into the work load, number of hours, and type of work of a fellow as well as attending (non-interventional and interventional)

I'm not sure as an attending but as a fellow, hours are much worse than residency. Even without call, fellows are in the hospital until late. I think it is more of an exception to be leaving around 5/6PM at night rather than the rule. I'm sure a lot depends on which rotation you are on.

Don't forget to multiply the time estimates by two, and divide the compensation in half, then... it about right...;)
So you're basically making $125,000 for a 40 hr week. That doesn't sound that great.

As a fellow (at least the first couple of years), it kind of looks like this:

Monday, 6am, bend over, grab ankles

Friday 8pm, stand back up and limp home (unless you're on call for the weekend)

There are probably 2 or 3 breaks of 6-8h in the middle there where you get to go home.

Do u have to bring lube? Or is it provided?

I'm not sure as an attending but as a fellow, hours are much worse than residency. Even without call, fellows are in the hospital until late. I think it is more of an exception to be leaving around 5/6PM at night rather than the rule. I'm sure a lot depends on which rotation you are on.

Depends on what kind of residency you go to and what type of fellowship you choose. You're gonna be working longish hours but it's not that bad.

Do u have to bring lube? Or is it provided?

BYOL.

At my program (big Univ program) its in house call where the ER bugs you for every elevated troponin. Most calls for first year (that's consistent fr most programs). First years cover pretty much all weekends and holidays. Q8 call first year, Q16 2nd year and only 5 or so calls third year.
A lot of programs term their call as "home call" but you need to make sure that they actually are or not - mostly if you need to go in 3-4 times anyways, and you have to work the next day anyways, home call may not seem so rosy.