How many programs do people typically apply to ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried searching on this thread and couldn't find anything. What is the typical number/range? How much can we expect to spend in just applying excluding the travel costs?

Members don't see this ad.

As a US grad who went to a large university residency, most of my colleagues and I applied to around 30 programs. Usually around 8-10 interviews. Cost depends on travel expenses. For example, I'm in a large city. I went to 4 interviews in my city alone; travel expenses were close to nill for those.

Last edited:
120 programs, 7 interviews, H1B requiring FMG

Members don't see this ad :)
any other takers?

Applied to 14. Got 9 interviews. Went on 7. I am a US grad who goes to a very solid residency program. We were told to shoot for 8-10 interview offers. Some of my classmates applied to ~30 since they did not know what city they wanted to live in. I was geographically limited making my options more limited.

If your program has a strong history of sending people to cards, your program director will be able to guide you well. If not, apply more broadly than you think you should unless you'd rather be a hospitalist.

I'm going to quibble: 74.8

cut.gif

So in summary:

30-120 applications + a minimum of 73.2 awesomeness + 1 knife = cardiology fellowship.

Thanks for the help everyone.