what to do with a low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThirdWay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the Post-bacc world, so I have been reading some of the posts here, and I was wondering, what is the general concensus for someone who wants to go to med school. but has a low undergrad GPA (83 hours=2.9 GPA)? Is more undergrad work better or is a masters degree? What is required (other than a ton of A's) to get into med school given these circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

To have your best shot, you have to raise your undergrad GPA. That means more undergrad classes, whether through a formal post bac program or just through taking classes at your local university. Masters degrees are not all that helpful unless your undergrad at least gets you in the door.

Other than that, rock the MCAT, start doing some clinical stuff, and make friends with people on the adcom. :)

My UGPA is 2.9 according to AMCAS (3.1 per AACOMAS!)
Iwill be a MS1 this fall.

No, it is not impossible. But it is frickin' hard.

I got my EMT, started working, and worked my way up to paramedic. I got a job in a hospital ED-based ambulance, working alongside nurses and doctors.

After a few years of that, I retook some classes, took some new ones; some were freshmen-level, others were graduate-level. All A's. I made an impression in those classes with my motivation and interest.

I studied like mad for the MCAT.

I ended up with a killer MCAT, LORs from doctors that were personal and passionate, and LORs from professors that attested to my newly-expressed academic abilities. My GPA still sucked (6 classes can't change it much), but the trend was good.

Got off the WL at the end of July.

It CAN be done. If you throw your heart sincerely and wholly into achieving a goal, people will respond to that. We all believe in redemption and second chances. Give them a reason to take a chance on you, and they will.

Good luck. You'll need it

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ThirdWay
I am new to the Post-bacc world, so I have been reading some of the posts here, and I was wondering, what is the general concensus for someone who wants to go to med school. but has a low undergrad GPA (83 hours=2.9 GPA)? Is more undergrad work better or is a masters degree? What is required (other than a ton of A's) to get into med school given these circumstances?

Does that GPA include the prereqs for med school?

Hey there paramed2premed,

Can I ask--which med school will you be attending in the next few weeks; also, can I say--CONGRATS!

Cheers,
Kirsteen

Originally posted by KirsteenB
Hey there paramed2premed,

Can I ask--which med school will you be attending in the next few weeks; also, can I say--CONGRATS!

Cheers,
Kirsteen

It says "Albany Med '07" at the end of paramed's post. I think that should answer your question.

Originally posted by PublicHealth
It says "Albany Med '07" at the end of paramed's post. I think that should answer your question.

It's in bold print if you still missed it

Sorry,

I have signatures disabled, so I did miss it. Cheers for the clarification, guys.

Kirsteen

Come on folks--are the *attitudes* really necessary? It was a congratulatory remark, for crying out loud.