Low GPA Guidance. Too Many Units! SMP or Postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1059464

Hi everyone!

I kinda need some help, again. Sorry! So, I got in the GT SMP, but haven't gotten in to any MD & DO schools (duh. based off my stats), or post-baccs! I dug myself a hole, because I worked most of my undergrad and MCAT studies. But I want out. I do work in a clinical setting.

Stats:
MCAT: 492 (Plan to retake in 2022) -> I took this without properly studying.
cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 3.12
Units! -- cUnits -> 188; sUnits -> 96
1 - publication (3,4 for to come - all in top journals)
Tons of clinical/shadowing hours
No docs in the family
URM (latino)
Immigrant
First-generation
CA resident

Should I take the GT SMP or do a DIY Postbacc? After calculating if I do a "40" unit postbacc all science with "As" my stats would be sGPA 3.4 & cGPA 3.11

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Do a diy post-bac and make sure you crush it as well as your MCAT retake. Are you fluent in spanish?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Portuguese, entry level spanish.
Good enough. You're bilingual. Maintain a 4.0 in your post-bac. Improve your MCAT with solid preparation and you'll have a decent shot at DO and MD schools. A SMP won't help/factor into your undergrad GPA, it's high risk/expensive, the degree is useless, and it's a last ditched attempt at getting into medical school. If you bomb an SMP, it's game over.

Good enough. You're bilingual. Maintain a 4.0 in your post-bac. Improve your MCAT with solid preparation and you'll have a decent shot at DO and MD schools. A SMP won't help/factor into your undergrad GPA, it's high risk/expensive, the degree is useless, and it's a last ditched attempt at getting into medical school. If you bomb an SMP, it's game over.
You're right. I feel like the "degree is useless" part for 80k

You're right. I feel like the "degree is useless" part for 80k
Yep. I was in your position. I've taken/maintained a 4.0 in 40+ post-bac science courses with a few retakes. It's doable/affordable and less stressful to get As than in a SMP. I'm going to take a few more classes and take the Mcat next January and apply in 2022.
Make sure your post-bac professors mention your upward trend in your post-bac coursework in their letters of rec. And make sure your PS shows how you've matured as a student.

Edited: you want your PS to tell a story.

Hi everyone!

I kinda need some help, again. Sorry! So, I got in the GT SMP, but haven't gotten in to any MD & DO schools (duh. based off my stats), or post-baccs! I dug myself a hole, because I worked most of my undergrad and MCAT studies. But I want out. I do work in a clinical setting.

Stats:
MCAT: 492 (Plan to retake in 2022) -> I took this without properly studying.
cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 3.12
Units! -- cUnits -> 188; sUnits -> 96
1 - publication (3,4 for to come - all in top journals)
Tons of clinical/shadowing hours
No docs in the family
URM (latino)
Immigrant
First-generation
CA resident

Should I take the GT SMP or do a DIY Postbacc? After calculating if I do a "40" unit postbacc all science with "As" my stats would be sGPA 3.4 & cGPA 3.11

Thanks for the help!Y
OSUCOM (DO, Oklahoma with two campus: Tulsa and Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation at an IHS clinic/hospital) has a progam with guaranteed interview if you have a B average in-program, no Cs and 492 or better MCAT. Undergraduate GPA is ignored. No tuition for URM or low-income and in a low COL area (rent is under $450 for 2 BR new apt.) Think you would have a good shot at this program.

OSUCOM (DO, Oklahoma with two campus: Tulsa and Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation at an IHS clinic/hospital) has a progam with guaranteed interview if you have a B average in-program, no Cs and 492 or better MCAT. Undergraduate GPA is ignored. No tuition for URM or low-income and in a low COL area (rent is under $450 for 2 BR new apt.) Think you would have a good shot at this program.
You think that's better than the SMP program I got accepted to?

You think that's better than the SMP program I got accepted to?
Sounds like it's cheaper. Definitely you can teach community college classes with an SMP degree.

Don't know your preferences.

Do you want a low cost program? Do you care it's a feeder to a DO school? No one is arguing that OSUCOM is prestigious, except perhaps the deans to the state legislature appropriations committee, but the people are genuinely nice and the students seem chill, and it gets you into medical school.

Oh, and it's the only SMP that I have toured. Took note of the program in case my kid bombs her GPA/MCAT. Nice to have options.

For example, the only colleges my kids considered were full ride places. Lucky for them/us they got accepted to full ride places. The fact that this program is cheap is part of its appeal to my family. YMMV. Good luck.