Low gpa - feeling hopeless on what I should do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloworld56

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just recently graduated from UC Berkeley as a Biology major. Before UC Berkeley, I attended a local community college for 2 years. I had done well in community college (GPA - 3.51), and I took most of my prerequisites including gen Chem, ochem, and physics. Because I had wanted to transfer within 2 years, I chose to take bio at UC Berkeley. I guess that had been my mistake. After transferring to UC Berkeley, I did not do well and it was really hard to deal with the competition that exists at Berkeley. I felt that trad Berkeley students were at an advantage because they know the available resources while I still had to navigate resources as a transfer student. The first semester, I got a C in Biology 1a and then another set of C's in Biology Ib and Biochem during spring semester. I did well in other courses including anatomy (B+) and physio lab (A). My gpa was around 2.97 by the time I graduated this May. I decided to take additional public health courses this summer online, and I got A's in both of these courses. I did exceptionally well, and I wished that I had chose public health as my major rather than Bio. Now, my gpa is 3.187. My cumulative gpa is 3.35, and my sGPA should be at least 3.3.

In terms of my extracurricular activities, I volunteered as a reading/homework buddy for 7th/8th and high schools seniors who were struggling with reading and homework such as calculus. I started this during my second year of community college because I had just turned 18 and got my driver's license. I also did research through a program at my local community college. After transferring to UC Berkeley, I was looking for research positions and I was rejected multiple times. I had been looking for local clinic volunteer positions, however, I was not successful. In the meantime, I decided to volunteer for a year as a reading buddy for 1st graders. During the second semester, I was accepted for a cancer research position and medical scribe at UCSF.

I am still working as a medical scribe remotely, however, research was discontinued for undergraduates in March, 2020. For my research position, I was very involved in terms of knocking out genes and doing post-doc level work. I think I have good lab and clinical experiences although I did just start recently.

I am posting on this forum because I would like to have advice about local available post-bacc/SMP programs preferably in CA. I had talked to my prehealth advisor that I don't think I can even apply to med schools at this year, and I want to consider doing post-bacc programs. He suggested that I should do the UC post-bacc programs, but I told him that I am unable to get 3 letters of recommendation because I have not done well in my science courses. I could try getting a letter of rec from my cc gen chem professor, if needed.

Please suggest any programs, and I am open to consider out of state post-bacc programs. I am also currently studying for the MCAT. I will be taking the test on 09/04. I am hoping if I do well, then I will consider applying this year. Also, I would appreciate any other advice or suggestion. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

n=1 but I've had good experiences with Harvard's Extension School in terms of quality instructors, classes, and TAs. I believe they have a formal postbacc program for premeds, as well as classes that you can simply sign up for (no LORs required). The latter would be a DIY postbacc route, if you're open to that. They're online for the 2020-21 academic year.

You can do this.

If your MCAT exceeds 500, I recommend Post-Baccalaureate Program | School of Medicine | University of Nevada, Reno. Guaranteed acceptance, not guaranteed interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve heard good things about the Berkeley extension program if you’re ok with going back

n=1 but I've had good experiences with Harvard's Extension School in terms of quality instructors, classes, and TAs. I believe they have a formal postbacc program for premeds, as well as classes that you can simply sign up for (no LORs required). The latter would be a DIY postbacc route, if you're open to that. They're online for the 2020-21 academic year.

Hi, I was looking into that program. I could not apply because I was graduating this May. The website that I can apply if I have already grauduated. Can you please elaborate on DIY postbacc and what does that mean?

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

I’ve heard good things about the Berkeley extension program if you’re ok with going back

Hi, do you recommend that I should apply to their premed program or just take courses separately on my own?

Thanks!

You can do this.

If your MCAT exceeds 500, I recommend Post-Baccalaureate Program | School of Medicine | University of Nevada, Reno. Guaranteed acceptance, not guaranteed interview.

I will definitely apply to Reno program next year. Thank you for sharing this link with me! I really appreciate it.

Hi, do you recommend that I should apply to their premed program or just take courses separately on my own?

Thanks!
I’d personally take classes independently but either way should work as long as you do well. Good luck!

Hi, I was looking into that program. I could not apply because I was graduating this May. The website that I can apply if I have already grauduated. Can you please elaborate on DIY postbacc and what does that mean?

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

DIY (do it yourself) means that you take whatever classes you need without being a part of a formal postbacc program. Pros to a DIY postbacc is that it is usually cheaper, you don't need to apply for it or submit LORs, and you can take a class or two while still working as opposed to being a full time student. At least for HES, you literally just register, pay, and take the class. The cons to a DIY postbacc is that it may be harder to get the premed advising/resources that traditional postbaccs/SMPs offer, they don't include MCAT prep, and they don't include linkage to a medical school. I don't have experience with a formal premed postbacc/SMP, but from what I gather this option is better for career changers and/or people who graduated undergrad with zero med school prereqs, or people who need serious GPA repair and advising. I am doing a DIY postbacc because I am only missing a few prereqs (I was a science major but not a premed in undergrad) and have a solid UG GPA. Since I only need a few classes, doing a formal postbacc program would be a waste of time and money.

If you go on the HES website and look through their course catalogue, you should be able to see all of their available science courses that will fulfill prereqs that you can just sign up for. I don't think it matters when you graduated.