What to do? should i go for Cardiology ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chikaficarika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Freinds,

I am new memeber to this forum. I just finished my residency. My program offered me cardiology fellowship for 2012. I have two years gap in between. now i am really frausted to wait 2 year for to just get cardiology and then another 3 to 4 years of cardiology. Should i wait for cardiology or start practicing as internal medicine ? can i get some idea.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

It depends on how confident are you about your matching potential in Cardiology. Given that Cardiology remains competitive- and it is unlikely to change in the next few years- it's always tempting to walk into a guaranteed spot. Plus you'd avoid all the hassles, headaches and expenses of the application process.

If I were you, I'd accept the position and plan my life around that. I'd use those 2 years to build myself up financially- by taking up a position as an IM Hospitalist in the location of your choice (a lot of flexibility in that)

Just my $ 0.02.

Good luck with your decision!

Dear Freinds,

I am new memeber to this forum. I just finished my residency. My program offered me cardiology fellowship for 2012. I have two years gap in between. now i am really frausted to wait 2 year for to just get cardiology and then another 3 to 4 years of cardiology. Should i wait for cardiology or start practicing as internal medicine ? can i get some idea.

Thanks

I'm not really sure what the problem is. If you want to be a cardiologist, take the spot, by all means. 2 years isn't really that long to wait. It's a drop in the bucket of your professional career. It's a free cardiology spot, for heaven's sake. A lot of people who want one can't get one...ever. You could go do research plus moonlight for 2 years, or go be a hospitalist for 2 years. If you don't want to wait to do cards, just do something else, like primary care.