What to do? Do I have a chance?

DoctorFC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well Im gonna start at a CC now in June 22, and i have to do some college prep math classes cause in high school i didn't bother to learn it. But i know i can. I wonder if that would affect me?

Also I dont know what to major in i wanted to major in bio but then i thought what if i dont get into med school. So then i thought psychology, its something that i like and i wont mind doing. What do u think i should major in?

Is it better if i do my prerequisites at a 4 year university? What classes should i take at CC and what classes should i take at the university? Would it affect me if i dont take the MCAT junior year? i wanna finish my bachelor's, then apply.

I love the medical field and its something that i want to do. I would do anything there is to do to get there. I am planning on doing some volunteer work, some research, etc.

Can you guys help me answering some of my questions? Please I would appreaciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well Im gonna start at a CC now in June 22, and i have to do some college prep math classes cause in high school i didn't bother to learn it. But i know i can. I wonder if that would affect me?

Also I dont know what to major in i wanted to major in bio but then i thought what if i dont get into med school. So then i thought psychology, its something that i like and i wont mind doing. What do u think i should major in?

Is it better if i do my prerequisites at a 4 year university? What classes should i take at CC and what classes should i take at the university? Would it affect me if i dont take the MCAT junior year? i wanna finish my bachelor's, then apply.

I love the medical field and its something that i want to do. I would do anything there is to do to get there. I am planning on doing some volunteer work, some research, etc.

Can you guys help me answering some of my questions? Please I would appreaciate it. :)
I'm not sure on some of the other stuff but definately take your pre req classes at a 4 year university.

I would say that it doesn't hurt to take some pre-req classes at the CC, such as english or calculus.

Try to make your schedule as feasible as possible for a great GPA. Don't be a slacker though. :p

This means you should major in something you 1)enjoy, 2)can see yourself doing as a profession (I think you know that already) 3)won't hurt your GPA.

A common mistake is that some pre-meds make their schedule so rigorous that they just feel miserable the whole time and end up with a sucky GPA that is almost impossible to get out of.

My advice is also to make your first semester easy (which means make sure it is so easy you don't screw up like most freshman). This will also allow you to focus on your transition to college and work on study skills as well as maybe other stuff like friends.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing ALL of your pre-reqs at a CC probably isn't the best way to go. Whether you intended to or not, adcoms may presume that you tried to take an "easier" version of the class by taking it at a CC, which obviously would not be something you want them to think.

As far as majors go, do what interests you. Do something you wouldn't mind doing if you decide not to do med school.

I just want to point out that it is alright to start doing some pre reqs. at your CC.

Calc I and English are good examples, as the poster above pointed out.

Don't do all of them at your CC though. It is debatable but honestly, it is just better to get all of (or most of) your Gen Eds. out of the way, and focus on intro classes for your major and maybe a med school pre req or too.

Of course some things overlap. If you are a Bio major, you will want to take Intro to Bio, then Calc, Stats, some of those are pre reqs.

Just saying.

My rule of thumb is to take more or less whatever classes that a major that you'd like to be (ie Bio) would be taking at the school you want to transfer to - otherwise you will be waaay behind once you transfer. So that often means general bio and Gchem in your freshman year, and possibly Ochem the next year. I ended up taking almost all of my prereqs at my CC, and it only came up at one of my interviews, and Columbia didn't even bat an eye at it. As long as you do well on your MCAT (DAT on my part), it can go a long way towards porving that the classes you took were no easier than anywhere else.

Though I might not recommend to take all of the pre-reqs at the CC like I did, just do your best not to fall behiend. Good luck!

You can't do too much with a bachelors in Psychology, my Psychology teacher at my CC said it will be "the most useless piece of paper in a frame you will ever had." However, if you decide to persue higher education after a bachelors in psychology (PsyD, masters, PhD, etc.) then you can do something.

Biggest thing is to major in what you like, or what you think you can do well in.

If I were you, I would take the general eduation requirements at the CC, and save the courses involving your major for the 4 year institution. General education requirements are things such as English, Foriegn Language, etc.

Keep in mind that any research, volunteer ... or anything really won't "count" on your medical school application, if they are done while still in high school. If you start them in high school and continue them through college, then, that counts (for example, you volunteer at the SAME hospital your senior year in HS all the way through your senior year in college, then all 5 years counts.)