Do I have a chance to turn my life around?

Dream0852

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this thread format is posted a lot, but I've always wanted to attend medical school and I'm afraid due to my past I am not going to achieve this goal. I have a clean record, but mugshots with 3 violent felonies on the internet. Is this going to hinder my chances later on down the road? I also have done very poorly in high school, primarily because I never went. I am now sober and working towards finishing my high school diploma at a self-paced high school. I am intelligent and have intense drive to succeed, I just had a hard time coping with my father going to prison and spiraled out of control.

So can I finish out high school and go to a community college for 2 years then transfer to a better school and have a chance at med school? Or has my past destroyed my dream? And any advice for how I can begin to prepare now would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it's not about what happened in the past. You can't change that. Yes you can turn your life around. You can go to that community college and then transfer to a 4 year. You can do all of that. It all comes down to how hard you are willing to work. You have to study hard and get the grades you need to become a competitive applicant. It's all up to you and yeah your past can possibly hinder your future but somebody is gonna be willing to take you as long as you have everything else handled. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
You could always try going to med schools abroad. European ones might not do American backgroundchecks

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could always try going to med schools abroad. European ones might not do American backgroundchecks
Thank-you for replying. I will definitely keep this in mind. I'm really wondering if it matters that much though. Maybe I can get the mugshots taken down when I get some money (it's pricey). I've beaten every case I've had so my record is completely clean. I never show up on background checks for the jobs I've had.
Honestly it's not about what happened in the past. You can't change that. Yes you can turn your life around. You can go to that community college and then transfer to a 4 year. You can do all of that. It all comes down to how hard you are willing to work. You have to study hard and get the grades you need to become a competitive applicant. It's all up to you and yeah your past can possibly hinder your future but somebody is gonna be willing to take you as long as you have everything else handled. Good luck.
This is fantastic news. The more I read the more I believe I have a great chance. I'm ready to work my ass off and I have a passion for medicine. I've also been on many psych meds so I believe I will have invaluable experience when I become a psychiatrist. I think my past will help me tremendously in this line of work. I've been in jail, solitary confinement for a long period of time, psych wards. I've experienced full disassociation when I was in psychosis for 3 months. I have experienced many aspects of where the human mind can take you. I'm ready to hit a home run in college. This is my dream and I am going to achieve it.

Thank you so much for replying. I can't wait to help people and bounce back from the hell I've put myself through! Let's do this!!

Any advice on preparation for now? Any online classes I can take to prepare for the classes I will be taking in college?

If you were an adult, 3 violent felonies would've permanently sunk your chances at med school. Life has possibly given you a second chance here, please don't mess it up. Hospitals affiliated with med schools can see everything they want, even expunged records, DON'T LIE. I was arrested, once, with no conviction, over six years ago, and I was still asked about it at every interview. If I were you, I would spend a year working on getting my life together before jumping into college.

Last edited:
If you were an adult, 3 violent felonies would've permanently sunk your chances at med school. Life has possibly given you a second chance here, please don't mess it up. Med schools can see everything they want, even expunged records, DON'T LIE. I was arrested, once, with no conviction, over six years ago, and I was still asked about it at every interview. If I were you, I would spend a year working on getting my life together before jumping into college.
I was an adult. I will be honest in my interviews and just do my best I suppose. I have decided that I will be enrolling into a regular high school for this next year so I can learn how to learn and be in a classroom environment. Thank-you for sharing your experience. I guess I am just going to have to give this my all and hope my past doesn't ruin my chances.

I was an adult. I will be honest in my interviews and just do my best I suppose. I have decided that I will be enrolling into a regular high school for this next year so I can learn how to learn and be in a classroom environment. Thank-you for sharing your experience. I guess I am just going to have to give this my all and hope my past doesn't ruin my chances.
In that case I strongly recommend you find some positions of responsibility. You are going to have to make up for this, big time. Finish high school first. Then, become a volunteer firefighter, or join the peace corps, or serve your country (totally not kidding), etc. DO schools tend to be more forgiving of applicants such as yourself. If this is truly your dream, then you will be willing to put in the work necessary here. I wish you the best of luck.

You have a long road ahead of you. But the beauty of America as opposed to many other countries is that you do have another chance. You are going to face naysayers every step of the way. You're going to fight an uphill battle, but if medicine is where your passion lies, then nothing should stop you from trying ot achieve your goals. Holding positions of leadership whether it's through community service or work (say teaching, volunteering w/ organizations such as Americorps/Peacecorps/red cross ect) will help you reestablish yourself. Most importantly, stay true to yourself, be honest and faithful.

Also, word of advice, do NOT talk about your psych meds and stuff when it comes to applications/interviews because you can run into the problem of schools thinking that you might not be able to handle it being on meds and whatnot.

I wish you the best of luck in life, you seem like a genuine person, and it's unfortunate that things happen in life.

You have a long road ahead of you. But the beauty of America as opposed to many other countries is that you do have another chance. You are going to face naysayers every step of the way. You're going to fight an uphill battle, but if medicine is where your passion lies, then nothing should stop you from trying ot achieve your goals. Holding positions of leadership whether it's through community service or work (say teaching, volunteering w/ organizations such as Americorps/Peacecorps/red cross ect) will help you reestablish yourself. Most importantly, stay true to yourself, be honest and faithful.

Also, word of advice, do NOT talk about your psych meds and stuff when it comes to applications/interviews because you can run into the problem of schools thinking that you might not be able to handle it being on meds and whatnot.

I wish you the best of luck in life, you seem like a genuine person, and it's unfortunate that things happen in life.

I don't understand. The term "internet violent felonies".

I can't sugar coat this: three arrests for violent crimes means your medical aspirations are over.

Time for Plan B, and good luck.

I'm sure this thread format is posted a lot, but I've always wanted to attend medical school and I'm afraid due to my past I am not going to achieve this goal. I have a clean record, but mugshots with 3 violent felonies on the internet. Is this going to hinder my chances later on down the road? I also have done very poorly in high school, primarily because I never went. I am now sober and working towards finishing my high school diploma at a self-paced high school. I am intelligent and have intense drive to succeed, I just had a hard time coping with my father going to prison and spiraled out of control.

So can I finish out high school and go to a community college for 2 years then transfer to a better school and have a chance at med school? Or has my past destroyed my dream? And any advice for how I can begin to prepare now would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Three violent felonies mean medicine is almost impossible, you'll need a different career

Listen, I would be lying to say that having mugshots on the internet would not hinder you're chances at all to get into medical school. That being said, I think you still have a shot, but you're going to be taking a harder and more difficult route than everyone else. You have to spend your 4 years in college showcasing your excellent academic capabilities, working/shadowing physicians, performing medical research, trying to have some research articles published, and volunteering. It's so important to have a competitive GPA/MCAT score and to show to medical schools that you truly want to become a doctor..you have to flip 180 degrees. If your academics and activities are superb you have a shot in getting 1 or 2 interviews (MD or most likely DO). When you get an interview you're going to have to explain the troubles you went through and how you've learned from them and matured....and how you discovered your passion in medicine....

Of course all of this is easier said than done. But I always believe there's nothing that can't be accomplished. Dont think your chances are 0% just because you went through some hardships. There are tons of people who went through hardships and rather than feeling sorry for themselves, they worked their butts off and achieved their dreams (arnold shwarznegger, ellen, oprah, steve harvey, michael jordan, etc.) . If you really really want to become a physician...you will find ways to do so. Keep your spirits high, dominate your college years, and explore the medical field as much as you can. If you don't get into medical school after truly doing the best and knowing you did everything that you could've done...then maybe there's another successful path you're meant for. You never know...life is weird in the way things work out. Anyways, from someone who also went through a lot of obstacles and is chasing his dream...I wish you the best.

Last edited:
I believe AMCAS lets you exclude juvenile crimes. I'm not sure what you mean by clean record with 3 violent felonies though. Were you arrested and charged but never found guilty? 3 arrests for a violent crime does mean something suspicious has been going on with you though. I have a family member who had a drug related felony, he had a mountain to climb but did turn his life around. After a lot of hard work, He graduated a carribbean medical school but now practices with a limited license and has to check in with someone from law enforcement occasionally to make sure he is sober. I'm not sure what's worse, a violent felony or a drug related felony. You need to talk a lawyer involved in professional licensure or school law.
What classifies as a juvenile crime? Like specific age?

I believe AMCAS lets you exclude juvenile crimes. I'm not sure what you mean by clean record with 3 violent felonies though. Were you arrested and charged but never found guilty? 3 arrests for a violent crime does mean something suspicious has been going on with you though. I have a family member who had a drug related felony, he had a mountain to climb but did turn his life around. After a lot of hard work, He graduated a carribbean medical school but now practices with a limited license and has to check in with someone from law enforcement occasionally to make sure he is sober. I'm not sure what's worse, a violent felony or a drug related felony. You need to talk a lawyer involved in professional licensure or school law.

Agree with talking to a lawyer.

While AMCAS may let you exclude juvenile crimes, the background checks done later by medical schools, residency programs, and hospitals may not.

Agree with talking to a lawyer.

While AMCAS may let you exclude juvenile crimes, the background checks done later by medical schools, residency programs, and hospitals may not.
Does that mean the automatically disqualify them from going to residency programs and hospitals? Because I heard a few people with expunged records go through the whole process..

You can do everything you just mentioned. I know this because it's basically what I did, and I'm currently sitting on multiple interviews from Top 20 schools. I don't wish to go into details in public, but if you msg me I'd be more than happy to discuss this further.

Best of luck to you, man. You remind me of myself.

I'm not entirely sure about this case, but I know Med schools like to see growth and self-development and a commitment to self-improvement. Honestly, I think by the time you finish high school, 2 years of community college and undergrad, it will be so far in the past that, as long as you've kept a completely clean record and can show that you really have changed and you have the grades and the devotion to helping people that med schools look for, I think med schools will be amazed. They don't want cookie-cutter applicants. They want people with a life story and they want people who show improvements and an unwavering devotion, even when that means overcoming past bad decisions.

I'd also say make sure you do loads of volunteer work in hospitals between now and when you apply--a) to make sure it's what you really want (I've known several people who were dead set on med school who couldn't stand the thought of anything medical after a year of volunteering) and b) to show that this is your passion.

Good luck!! :)

What's up with the sugarcoating SDN? I have no idea why the hell people think LAW has anything to do with whether medical schools want to deal with anyone associated with possibly perpetrating VIOLENCE multiple times as an adult. Medicine is NOT some government industry where they can't discriminate against someone that gives adcoms a bad vibe (and with good reason). There are plenty of highly qualified candidates to choose from and this EXCUSE is weak. Plenty of single-mother households with terrible situations do NOT lead to violence.
I just had a hard time coping with my father going to prison and spiraled out of control.

My Thoughts:

This is a very interesting topic however, I regret to inform you that so much as a misdemeanor can and will hinder your chances of succeeding in a medical school in the United States. Now, normally I would say with a felony such as "car theft" you may have a possibility but it significantly impacts. However, the fact that you did indeed committ violent crimes towards another individuals poses a danger to other individuals under your care. Even if you have changed. If I was a admissions officer I would discard your application.

What can you do?:
You can always apply to other medical schools outside of the United States like other people have said. I recommend the following places; Europe, Austrailia, Canada (much harder). You can always get a lawyer and attempt to appeal the felony charges down to misdemeanors, however, this may take some time and money. Even in some cases, it just can't be done based on the severity of the crime.

However, I highly recommnd you consider this... Get your batchlors or masters degree in something you love to do. I'm becoming a paramedic along my way to becoming a doctor. But, (that is subject to background checks too). I am not sure whether physician assistants, or nursing students are background. I'd assume they are. I'm sorry to say you have significantly impacted your future.

I'd like to apologize because everyone makes mistakes, but for example.. Neurosurgeon Ben Carson, and presidential canidate is being hammerd right now because of an incident when he was in his teen years. Now of course, this is a president nomination. But, medical schools are very strict at letting people in and will try to find a reason you shouldn't be a doctor. Or, very good reasons to where you should. Your best shot is getting one approved out of the United States, transferring back *hard*. Then taking the USMLE parts 1-3, getting your license in the United States.

There is one more potential option, but again, as said before the felony hinders your application majorly. You could apply to a Osteopathic Medical School (DO) instead of an Allopathic one (MD). I really do wish you the upmost luck. If I were in your position I would consult a lawyer, and look at my options outside of the United States. Good luck!