Do I even have a chance?

FutureNeurologist2025

Neuroscience is life!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 14 years old and if you can't tell by my username I want to be a neurologist. I've loved science since the third grade but I started loving neuro in sixth. I'm going to be a freshman in high school next year and I have two health related extracurriculars I'm going to start (volunteering at a hospital and a health club.)
My dream is to become a neurologist but there is one problem, I'm really shy. I feel like I have no chance because of this. A few months ago I had a interview for the STEM high school I was accepted into and I completely froze up! I just am looking for a way to get out of this shyness because if I don't I can kiss my chances at being a doctor goodbye already. Any tips to get out of my shyness? I used to be really outgoing but life happened and I just stopped opening up.

Members don't see this ad.

do you believe you can't overcome your shyness? just practice every day, make an effort to hang out with people, actively seek out people to talk to so you can raise your confidence etc.

I'd say this is the least of what you should be worried about; we all have problems we think are problems in middle/high school. focus on making good grades, try to take some AP classes and do well on SAT

Reactions: 1 user
It's okay to be shy at your stage. I've seen many of my shy classmates open up very much by senior year. Don't worry about it right now; focus on your grades and standardized tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're in high school and don't have a criminal record, you have a chance!

Reactions: 3 users
Of course you have a chance! Stepping out of your comfort zone is something everyone must do when becoming a doctor. It's great that you're joining your school's health club, you will be surrounded by people who share your interests so it will likely be much easier to open up.

Volunteering in a hospital is a great experience as well. I'm not sure if your hospital's program is similar to mine, but we got to pick what nursing floor we wanted to work on when we first started. I work on the oncology floor, and most of what I do is helping the techs and working directly with patients (simple daily care stuff like feeding them, washing them, changing sheets, getting water, etc.) so you get a lot of exposure to working with others. I know that this is how a lot of the high school volunteer programs are, so yours is probably similar. I was nervous when I started, but in the moment you're honestly more focused on whatever you're doing for the patient than being shy.

Seriously don't worry about your interview skills right now, I'm sure that I would have responded the same way if I had to do an interview when I was your age. High school does a good job at making people more outgoing, maybe just in a different way from than you were before. Right now your main concern should be preparing yourself for college, and any other issues will resolve themselves over time. If you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to message me, I'm going to be a senior in high school next year. Otherwise, don't worry about it and good luck!

Well, I think you have a better chance than any other fourteen year old out there right now haha. I'm graduating high-school this year and did not know what a Neurologist does until a few months ago. You should be able to get over your shyness naturally, and even if you don't there are lots of external resources out there to help you.

Anyways, you've got to be the most ambitious fourteen year old I've ever met. Just get good grades for now and enjoy high-school. Get drunk, date somebody, score a winning goal. You're already motivated and that puts you ahead of a lot of other people your age.

Try raising your hand in class more, being active in clubs, talking to new people at lunch - these simple things should help ease your shyness. Just work hard and enjoy your teenage years for now. :)

Remember that docs need skills that aren't going to be taught in premed club. The best thing I did in high school was being very active in speech and debate club. If you can just stick with it, it'll really help with your shyness (and your writing and your argumentation and your critical thinking and your public speaking!). I highly recommend it (or, if it's a joke at your school, something similar). The medical club was a joke at my high school anyways.

Dude, chill out and do the best you can grades wise. But even if u don't do great in HS it will not matter! Do well in college and you will do it! You are 14, go enjoy yourself and enjoy high school :)

P.S. I was shy too when I was 14 but it goes away with age if you work on it :)

As everyone else said, you will age out of the shyness if you just work on it consistently. Keep forcing yourself into situations where you have to socialize and communicate with others. You'll get through this, man.

Up until I graduated HS, I was so shy that I would cut class on seminar days just so I wouldn't have to speak up. I faked sick several times so I wouldn't have to go to academic banquets my parents kept RSVP'ing for because I knew I'd have to walk on stage. My lowest point was in 12th grade I stole a pill of clonazepam from someone with clinical anxiety and intended to take it before a group presentation. This was the turning point for me. College was a fresh start. I started forcing myself into situations where I would have to engage with others and joined a public speaking service organization. Long story short, within a few years I ended up the organization's president, leading public speaking trainings, and giving student-leader speeches to crowds of 800+ people. I still get super nervous before I walk onto the stage, but once I get started it gives me a high like no other now. People around me are addicted to drugs, alcohol, sex, video games, you name it. I'm addicted to public speaking.

So trust me when I say it: you'll get through this.

Remember that docs need skills that aren't going to be taught in premed club. The best thing I did in high school was being very active in speech and debate club. If you can just stick with it, it'll really help with your shyness (and your writing and your argumentation and your critical thinking and your public speaking!). I highly recommend it (or, if it's a joke at your school, something similar). The medical club was a joke at my high school anyways.

The medical club at my school isn't a joke. Either way I can't join speech and debate since it conflicts with me attending a different school but still being allowed to participate in the extracurriculars at my current one.

I'm 14 years old and if you can't tell by my username I want to be a neurologist. I've loved science since the third grade but I started loving neuro in sixth. I'm going to be a freshman in high school next year and I have two health related extracurriculars I'm going to start (volunteering at a hospital and a health club.)
My dream is to become a neurologist but there is one problem, I'm really shy. I feel like I have no chance because of this. A few months ago I had a interview for the STEM high school I was accepted into and I completely froze up! I just am looking for a way to get out of this shyness because if I don't I can kiss my chances at being a doctor goodbye already. Any tips to get out of my shyness? I used to be really outgoing but life happened and I just stopped opening up.
Get into college first, and start taking debate, speech and acting classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about it. Like everyone says you'll likely outgrow it Who cares if you don't. I have next some pretty shy neurogists, who still do a great job, but just don't talk much. I doubt shyness bears any relevance to your medical career. Want to gain some self confidence, join a really srtrict tradiotiinal martial arts school. They'll knock it out of you in a hurry, you won't believe yourself. That's what made a man out of me, it was brutal but the best experience of my life. I went in shy and came out the picture of confidence.

Try talking to people more. It's okay to be shy. Try to find friends that love the things that you do. You don't have to be outgoing and have a vibrant personality to do well. Just talk to people that share your interests and eventually you will find a way to not be shy WITH THEM. Then you will confide in them, be close with them, spend time, etc. and eventually you'll become more loquacious and much more ecstatic about meeting other people as well. You'll eventually change and evolve into being excited to talk to other people. Also you MUST take some AP Courses, see how you do in them and prepare for the SAT/ACT! Good luck!

Get a girlfriend first.

I'd suggest just putting yourself in more situations where you have to approach people, like volunteering, joining high school organizations, etc. However, you are younger so dont be too hard on yourself, and you will become less shy as you get older even if you aren't the most outgoing person in the room. High school may not be the best experiences for everyone, but by the time college rolls around it is your time to experience new things and being involved in more things with people. For me, I know i always felt nervous about patient interaction and I used to imagine i wouldn't be good at it haha (I know weird). However, when I started volunteering at hospitals and other organizations it came really easy to me and was natural, so you ll surprise yourself sometimes.