Do I have a chance at getting into a UC? Or USC?

Astrid VB

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior at Beverly Hills High and my gpa is looking pretty iffy. In the low 3 range on a 4.0 scale (unweighted). My main problem is that I've always stretched myself too thin and taken a lot of honors/AP courses. Last year I got a 4 on AP Biology. This year I am taking AP Lang and AP US History. Next year I'll have AP Lit and AP Calculus, all with lots of honors courses sprinkled in.

I'm also a part of my school's Medical Science Academy and have over 100 hours of volunteer experience at UCLA medical center. I'm a regular blood donor (don't know if you can say anything about that on applications!).

I was on the swim team for two years and water polo for one, but have since quit both.

I really don't know where I want to apply, but I'm pretty sure I want to stay in California. I'd love to go to a UC or USC, but they are so competitive that I'm worried they wouldn't even look past my gpa..

Also as far as SAT's go, I have not yet taken one, but I took a practice and with no previous work I got a 1270 so I'm aiming for mid 1300's-possible 1400's on the real deal since I have started reviewing with a tutor.

Any input greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a chance. Sorry. Honestly who cares, go to a small college or a community college and just get the best GPA possible

Not a chance. Sorry. Honestly who cares, go to a small college or a community college and just get the best GPA possible
Thank you. Yeah that's what I've figured. I'm checking out private schools in the socal area. Any suggestions for small schools with good science programs that are more reasonable considering my situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you just go to a JC then transfer out. I had really bad stats in high school, went to a JC. Now USC, UCLA, etc are asking me to apply! With a JC do not expect a cakewalk, work hard, and do not overload to transfer. Make sure you plan your schedule carefully, and unless you are some rich kid (I think so, since beverly hills high) just plan along the UC system and Assist. USC honestly is not worth the money. Once you get the good grades, apply to CAL, UCLA etc and there ya go! Hoped I helped.

If I were you just go to a JC then transfer out. I had really bad stats in high school, went to a JC. Now USC, UCLA, etc are asking me to apply! With a JC do not expect a cakewalk, work hard, and do not overload to transfer. Make sure you plan your schedule carefully, and unless you are some rich kid (I think so, since beverly hills high) just plan along the UC system and Assist. USC honestly is not worth the money. Once you get the good grades, apply to CAL, UCLA etc and there ya go! Hoped I helped.

Thank you! Yeah I've been thinking about that option as well. My family can afford a private school, but it would certainly be nice to save money. I'm just worried about spending extra time in school though when I already want to go into medicine and that takes so many years.

Thank you! Yeah I've been thinking about that option as well. My family can afford a private school, but it would certainly be nice to save money. I'm just worried about spending extra time in school though when I already want to go into medicine and that takes so many years.
Go to a JC. Best decision in my life. All of my friends in college wish they went to a JC since they would have saved so much money. I graduated from UCLA last year and applying to med schools now.

My only advice would be that IF you do choose to go the JC route, the classes are significantly easier (I would argue that some GE's are easier than high school classes). Going from a JC to a hard university like UCLA was a huge adjustment to make, and since I entered as a junior, I essentially had 1-2 quarters to make that adjustment. I had about the same GPA (low 3.0) in high school, I got a 3.7 at my JC and I ended up getting into all the UCs and USC.

Go to a JC. Best decision in my life. All of my friends in college wish they went to a JC since they would have saved so much money. I graduated from UCLA last year and applying to med schools now.

My only advice would be that IF you do choose to go the JC route, the classes are significantly easier (I would argue that some GE's are easier than high school classes). Going from a JC to a hard university like UCLA was a huge adjustment to make, and since I entered as a junior, I essentially had 1-2 quarters to make that adjustment. I had about the same GPA (low 3.0) in high school, I got a 3.7 at my JC and I ended up getting into all the UCs and USC.
Thank you for that. It's definitely an option. Academically it sounds pretty ideal, but one thing holding me back from going the JC route though is that I want to live in the dorms and have the college experience for my first couple of years. Do you feel like you missed out at all?

Hello Astrid VB,

I understand your concerns about admissions to a UC campus; however, I get the impression that, while in high school, you have spent time exploring different interests through various high level courses. You have done fairly well in your coursework, especially at a competitive public school like Beverly High. In my opinion, you would be a competitive applicant to a UC campus.

• Your weighted UC GPA would be very high (see details for calculating: GPA requirement | UC Admissions). This would likely be the strongest aspect of your profile.
  • You may want to become involved in some extra-curricular activities this summer before you apply for colleges. You should also consider studying for the SAT or ACT, which is a particularly important component for UC admissions.
  • Keep in mind that different UC campuses have different standards for admissions. While UC Berkeley and UCLA are particularly competitive, UC Riverside and UC Merced are noticeably more relaxed. These campuses may be more appropriate options for you; however, that should not prohibit you from applying to more selective campuses. Ultimately, there are nine to choose from for undergrad.
  • You should spend some time looking at the admissions requirements outlined for the UC system (Admission requirements | UC Admissions). You do "fit" the profile.
  • You may want to consider the California State University (CSU) system, which is the other public university system in California.
  • If you decide that a four-year school is not right for you, think about attending Santa Monica College (SMC) and then transferring your credits to a UC or CSU campus after two years.
  • I would also suggest that you talk to a college counselor—at your school or independent. He or she will be able to give you the best advice on this decision.
Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Astrid VB,

I understand your concerns about admissions to a UC campus; however, I get the impression that, while in high school, you have spent time exploring different interests through various high level courses. You have done fairly well in your coursework, especially at a competitive public school like Beverly High. In my opinion, you would be a competitive applicant to a UC campus..

• Your weighted UC GPA would be very high (see details for calculating: GPA requirement | UC Admissions). This would likely be the strongest aspect of your profile..
      [*]You may want to become involved in some extra-curricular activities this summer before you apply for colleges. You should also consider studying for the SAT or ACT, which is a particularly important component for UC admissions..
      [*]Keep in mind that different UC campuses have different standards for admissions. While UC Berkeley and UCLA are particularly competitive, UC Riverside and UC Merced are noticeably more relaxed. These campuses may be more appropriate options for you; however, that should not prohibit you from applying to more selective campuses. Ultimately, there are nine to choose from for undergrad..
      [*]You should spend some time looking at the admissions requirements outlined for the UC system (Admission requirements | UC Admissions). You do "fit" the profile..
      [*]You may want to consider the California State University (CSU) system, which is the other public university system in California..
      [*]If you decide that a four-year school is not right for you, think about attending Santa Monica College (SMC) and then transferring your credits to a UC or CSU campus after two years..
      [*]I would also suggest that you talk to a college counselor—at your school or independent. He or she will be able to give you the best advice on this decision..
Good luck with your applications!.
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate this info. I have already taken the SAT once and I am still studying to take it again. I got a score of 1350 on the 1600 score.
I also have 100+ hours of volunteer time at UCLA medical center in Santa Monica and I played water polo and swam at my school for two years. I'm also a part of my school's Medical Science Academy, which is both a class and a club. And I am going to Warsaw poland to shadow surgeons as a part of the program Gap Medics for the second time on Saturday (I also went over Christmas).

I'm feeling more confident! Thank you for breaking that down for me.

Reactions: 1 user