What to accomplish during TY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carotenoid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have started my TY at a program that does allow for a lot of flexibility/electives. I would really appreciate some advice on how to fully take advantage of this opportunity. I have planned on a good mix of surgery/medicine cores, will not be doing any rad onc here (the place is not exactly known for it), but what besides it? Have people done research (clinical, obviously, but may be something else) during their TY? Are there some elective you think would benefit a future rad onc resident?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with GFunk in that you should wait until you start your PGY-2 year to begin any research as you will have four years to be productive (provided your clinic schedule isn't so heavy that you don't have time for research outside of your dedicated research time, but that varies from program to program).

I wouldn't waste your time reading RadOnc specific books, staging, etc. However, I would focus on becoming excellent at anatomy (especially head and neck) as that will decrease the amount of time that you have to devote to it as a PGY-2.

I'd consider myself a gunner, and even I didn't pick up a single rad onc textbook during my intern year. I'd personally enjoy life and take the easy road because I found very little of what I did during my TY relevant to radiation oncology residency. Doing a head and neck rotation may sound like it's relevant to RadOnc, but all you're gonna be doing is managing floor patients and serving as your more senior resident's scut monkey. I felt that way entering residency and feel even more strongly about it now that I'm finising things up.