lung auscultation during weekly checkups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakFlag

spiral of silence
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm already having having flashbacks to residency after having a few drinks tonight...

does anyone actually auscultate lungs routinely during weekly on-treatment checkups for their lung patients? i saw attendings do that often on the thoracic service, even at 2 Gy cumulative with no complaints or chest pain.

sure, you might "hear" a new malignant pleural effusion, but the cone-beam CT would probably spot it sooner.

has lung auscultation ever significantly altered your radiation management?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. Sometimes pts ask though and I'm happy to oblige
Sometimes I do it to look the part... “concerned doctor”

1609494709640.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
About looking the part. During residency had an attending who would do rectal exams on prostate pts during treatment and assure them radiation was working. As field moves to hypofrac/5 fractions, we will shift to becoming technicians vs clinicians. Maybe playing doctor will become more important than ever?

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I don’t routinely do this in asymptotic patients in the COVID era... especially since we do daily CBCT. It’s most relevant in symptomatic patients. I’ve caught a few new a-fibs w/RVR missed by the vitals machine in patients who “just didn’t feel right”

Reactions: 2 users
If your vitals machine is somehow missing HR > 150 that seems like an indication to get a new machine.

• Haha
I’ve caught a few new a-fibs w/RVR missed by the vitals machine in patients who “just didn’t feel right”
Everyone remembers these.

I'm sure you've caught a few nothings that led to extra workup, overtreatment, and potential for harm too.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
One of the attendings I trained with insisted on scoping their head and neck patients on treatment every few weeks. Seemed crazy to everyone else. Is this common practice elsewhere?

Everyone remembers these.

I'm sure you've caught a few nothings that led to extra workup, overtreatment, and potential for harm too.
I’m pretty reluctant to send in an asymptomatic patient unless it’s for something like having an HR > 120

I’m pretty reluctant to send in an asymptomatic patient unless it’s for something like having an HR > 120
That's probably smart. There is a lot of statistical noise workup/treatment when doctors treat numbers instead of patients.

Regardless, I would say the sensitivity and specificity of a radiation oncologist using a stethoscope likely leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: 1 user
One of the attendings I trained with insisted on scoping their head and neck patients on treatment every few weeks. Seemed crazy to everyone else. Is this common practice elsewhere?

Mine as well - every other week. I've learned that it was mostly for scope charge.
If you're reviewing CBCT every day you will see if tumor/nodes are responding or not. Also on your weekly OTV if nodes are palpable or visible tumor in tonsil/oral cavity. If it's endophytic and tougher to see on CBCT, you probably can't see it on scope very well anyway.
The only utility I can see is for things like plaques on TVCs, larynx, pharyngeal wall creeping lesions - things you can't see as well on CBCT from the beginning.

Mine as well - every other week. I've learned that it was mostly for scope charge.
If you're reviewing CBCT every day you will see if tumor/nodes are responding or not. Also on your weekly OTV if nodes are palpable or visible tumor in tonsil/oral cavity. If it's endophytic and tougher to see on CBCT, you probably can't see it on scope very well anyway.
The only utility I can see is for things like plaques on TVCs, larynx, pharyngeal wall creeping lesions - things you can't see as well on CBCT from the beginning.
Yeah the only reason I do it is concerns regarding airway or symptomatic evidence of disease progression.

What the what?

I don't even scope people at 2 weeks or 1 month (or frequently even 2 months out) from the end of H&N RT without extenuating circumstances because of how uncomfortable a scope exam is for patients when there is any residual mucositis from radiation. And if I see residual tumor at 2 weeks or 1 month? So ****ing what? Great I saw it. We'll monitor it patient. Sorry that you're in rip roaring pain from passage of a rigid scope rubbing against your swollen inflamed oropharynx.

I could not in a million years thinking it's OK to scope a oropharynx patient actively on treatment while they're in the middle of G2 oropharyngeal mucositis in week 4 or 5 (or later) of RT. This **** is either being done for the money or people so stuck in dogma and "how they were trained" in a field where stuff is usually outdated within 5-10 years.

If there is a big exophytic primary, CBCT tells me that **** is shrinking as the airway opens up more... if there's a big palpable LN it shrinks visibly and becomes non-palpable during RT. Tada, look the RT is working, patient!

To the OP's question - I do not unless asked by patient. If they have inflammation from RT I usually see it on the CBCT. Lung patients are at extremely high risk of completely inappropriate Abx and mostly inappropriate use of a medrol dose pak during fractionated lung RT.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I perform routine rectal exams (despite MRI), auscultate the lungs (although asymptomatic and with CBCT), and come in on the weekends a lot to treat, does that make me a great radiation oncologist? :)

Reactions: 3 users
So if I perform routine rectal exams (despite MRI), auscultate the lungs (although asymptomatic and with CBCT), and come in on the weekends a lot to treat, does that make me a great radiation oncologist? :)
1609781895241.gif

• Haha
One of my attendings taught there are 3 types of radiation - curative, palliative, and lucrative... maybe less of the latter now...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Physical exam during treatment is useful to look at skin toxicity or if the patient is complaining of something.

I always felt that way, and now with COVID I strongly feel that way.

I had an attending who used to scope his H&N patients weekly on treat. Plenty of practice for me I guess. No way I'd do that now.

Common sense is STRONK in this forum. Next thing ya'll gonna say is that you don't really go through 10-15 Review of Systems with each and every patient.

Common sense is STRONK in this forum. Next thing ya'll gonna say is that you don't really go through 10-15 Review of Systems with each and every patient.
That's the nurses job as part of their rooming process, which they put into the templated note that automatically pulls in:

1609798735345.png

• Love
Review of systems is no longer required in the new billing rules for outpatient visits.

They never had a place in OTV notes as far as I'm aware.

I try to minimize documenting something I didn't do. And ain't nobody (including our nurses) got time for a full ROS every OTV.

Review of systems is no longer required in the new billing rules for outpatient visits.

They never had a place in OTV notes as far as I'm aware.

I try to minimize documenting something I didn't do. And ain't nobody (including our nurses) got time for a full ROS every OTV.

Right, figured he meant for consults. Very glad that it is no longer necessary as maybe now I can see my 10 o'clock patient at 10:45 instead of at 11:00

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users