What was your lifestyle during your residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beerus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm new resident "not in U.S" but i would like to know how was your life during your residency

PGY‑2: .......

PGY‑3: ......

PGY‑4: .......

PGY‑5: ......

i would love to know your experience I'm actually anxious about how hard and intense it will be, and how much studying it's required specially physics i hate physics.

Members don't see this ad.

TY, very chill
Pgy 2: very hard and long hours
Pgy 3: hard but not as bad as Pgy 2.
Pgy 4-5: generally chill

Reactions: 1 users
PG1- busy as hell 36/12 for a few months. Surgical internship.
PG2-5 Heaven. AP/CP residency 180 degrees from PG1.
PG 6 AFIP fellowship, another year of heaven.

Everything is easy after a year of gen surgery internship.

You will study VERY little physics. Maybe like Beer’s law or such.

Sorry guys, i thought i was on the path board 🤣. I think y’all study a bit more physics😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
My residency time was a little weird, due to COVID hitting midway through my PGY4 year, but:

PGY1 - classic old-school prelim medicine year (28 hour shifts, almost no Golden Weekends, etc), but what I expected it to be
PGY2 - awful, while the "in hospital" hours were better than my intern year, medical school DOES NOT prepare you well for RadOnc
PGY3 - better, I felt like I sort of had my feet under me
PGY4 - "easier" (traditionally you get elective/research time during PGY4 in the US), but then COVID hit, which made things...interesting
PGY5 - intense, because of the job search, while back in the clinic full-time, and studying/taking all three written exams in ~4 months

I know you're asking out of anxiety, but everyone's experience is different, and yours will be, too. The perception of RadOnc residency is unique, because what people see from the outside is that our hours aren't as intense as something like Internal Medicine. However, in my experience, those "in-house" hours are replaced with "studying at home" hours.

It boils down to the fact that medical school prepares you much better for careers in IM or Peds or ID or whatever, but almost not at all for RadOnc. So, I like to describe the 4 years of RadOnc as "med school part deux".

Reactions: 3 users
So I'm new resident "not in U.S" but i would like to know how was your life during your residency

i would love to know your experience I'm actually anxious about how hard and intense it will be, and how much studying it's required specially physics i hate physics.

Great share by @elementaryschooleconomics

PGY-2 by far the worst. Clueless for most of the year

PGY-3 better as you start to repeat rotations

PGY-4 super chill, you're smarter and/or on research

PGY-5 sucks until you sign a job

for Physics, P = MD or DO or NP these days

Last edited:
Old school, I did gen surg intern year. PGY2 was not as physically demanding but was the hardest thing I ever did. My partner did his at a malignant midwestern program (funny many people think is nice/good on here) and told me it was worse than how his coresidents in neurosurgery and gen surg were doing

I am old so feel free to ignore :)

I trained when three year programs were allowed.

Basically worked 7a-6p five days a week seeing patients largely on my own (before the Medicare supervision requirements)

This was before the internet so I read hard copies of articles xeroxed from journals in the department.

I read 3-4 hours three nights a week and about 10 hours on weekends-Thursday was must see TV back in the day and Friday was Happy Hour

By two years in I felt very confident in all that was known in RO.

This created a problem as I asked my attendings "Why don't we do it like they do at institution XYZ?"

The answer was always we have done it this way for 20 years...stop asking questions.

In the last three decades the field has changed dramatically on multiple levels.

In short the "work" is very different than the old days of port films and wax pencils.

I know the youngsters will bellow "OK boomer" but I practice at a large academic center without a resident seeing patient 4 -5 days a week.

I bill 10-12K wRVU/year and have been fortunate to ride the IMRT wave (but never had access to the technical component which is where the money is nowadays; it used to be 50:50 prof to tech).

Counting the days to retirement; 4 years maximum but that could be sped up by APM.

Making way for the next generation

Reactions: 19 users

Basically worked 7a-6p five days a week seeing patients largely on my own (before the Medicare supervision requirements)

This was before the internet so I read hard copies of articles xeroxed from journals in the department.

I read 3-4 hours three nights a week and about 10 hours on weekends-Thursday was must see TV back in the day and Friday was Happy Hour

This created a problem as I asked my attendings "Why don't we do it like they do at institution XYZ?"

The answer was always we have done it this way for 20 years...stop asking questions.

In the last three decades the field has changed dramatically on multiple levels.

In short the "work" is very different than the old days of port films and wax pencils.

I know the youngsters will bellow "OK boomer" but I practice at a large academic center without a resident seeing patient 4 -5 days a week.

I bill 10-12K wRVU/year and have been fortunate to ride the IMRT wave (but never had access to the technical component which is where the money is nowadays; it used to be 50:50 prof to tech).

Counting the days to retirement; 4 years maximum but that could be sped up by APM.

I know a few folks that trained in a similar cohort - your guys' stories are sometimes unfathomable to me. The things you could do "back in the day"...it sounds pretty crazy.

Reactions: 1 user

You're part of the boomer gen that's responsible for advancing the field. When people use the word in a derogatory fashion they are referring to the leaches (you work at an academic center you probably know) whose main interest is bleeding the field dry for their own interest.

You're part of the boomer gen that's responsible for advancing the field. When people use the word in a derogatory fashion they are referring to the leaches (you work at an academic center you probably know) whose main interest is bleeding the field dry for their own interest.
I really try not to categorize people according to where they work. Plenty of fine people in academics and in private practice; and scumbags in both settings as well. The distinction between the two that was so stark (sorry) when I finished training is narrowing quickly as the independent physician becomes an endangered species.

Reactions: 4 users

I salute the man, not the rank

the next residency I will inevitably end up pursuing will definitely have a worse lifestyle than RO residency. Unless we are also counting the mental emotional toll of watching the specialty you were brainwashed into believing was the only thing you should aspire to go to complete **** over the course of your training then no probably not.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
the next residency I will inevitably end up pursuing will definitely have a worse lifestyle than RO residency. Unless we are also counting the mental emotional toll of watching the specialty you were brainwashed into believing was the only thing you should aspire to go to complete **** over the course of your training then no probably not.
WOW that's dark. Is it solely because of the job market in the U.S? Or is there something else?
I see a lot of people complaining about the job market "which is understandable" but what if we removed this factor for people outside America, do you think RO still worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW that's dark. Is it solely because of the job market in the U.S? Or is there something else?
I see a lot of people complaining about the job market "which is understandable" but what if we removed this factor for people outside America, do you think RO still worth it?
Uhhhh. A job after residency is kinda important.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Uhhhh. A job after residency is kinda important
I know that is why i said "what if we removed this factor for people outside America".
In my country the job market for RO is not that bad. So i wanna see if there is anything else other than the job market, because i heard RO was the most competitive specialty at one time in U.S!!!

I know that is why i said "what if we removed this factor for people outside America".
In my country the job market for RO is not that bad. So i wanna see if there is anything else other than the job market, because i heard RO was the most competitive specialty at one time in U.S!!!
Job market is the main issue. If you will be going back to your country and you're happy with the job market there, it's a great specialty otherwise

For me, what made residency challenging wasn’t the hours or clinical work but instead were the numerous toxic personalities of attendings (most of whom entered the field when they were begging anyone with a pulse to become a rad onc). I was a trainee during the competitive era, and for whatever reason the attendings not only were constantly at one another’s necks, but felt the need to be as toxic as possible with trainees who had no choice but to put up with their 💩. They made it their job to try to make us feel unworthy at all times while virtue signaling and acting self righteous constantly.

Of course their lack of interest in providing any meaningful education to us also made things challenging, but fortunately we were all good enough students to teach ourselves an entire field of medicine along with physics etc too in order to pass board exams and actually treat patients well.

As a resident, hope was kept alive by the false belief that we had matched into the greatest field and would have an amazing career and life post-training. Unfortunately, that belief proved to be a farce thanks once again to our amazing bottom of the med school class turned professor/chairmen leadership who proceeded to drive our field to the bottom. I also had no idea how much bs would arise as a result of being in a bottom of the food chain specialty with high overhead and now an over supply problem. It just keeps getting worse folks.

Reactions: 8 users
I trained at a top-ten program. I was surrounded by a lot of really smart people and I had perpetual imposter syndrome, feeling like I was always screwing up. Even when a project worked out well, I couldn’t escape the feeling that I was simply lucky -just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

It wasn’t until fellowship at another top ten program (yeah, I said it haha) when I finally realized that I was well trained and some of it stuck. Now I am an attending and I don’t know that I would change anything in retrospect because I am pretty happy with how things are going.

It makes me wonder whether the soul-crushing humility I encountered during residency served a purpose… but not enough to stop me from being a push over with my residents.

Is imposter syndrome a useful component of training?

I trained at a top-ten program. I was surrounded by a lot of really smart people and I had perpetual imposter syndrome, feeling like I was always screwing up. Even when a project worked out well, I couldn’t escape the feeling that I was simply lucky -just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

It wasn’t until fellowship at another top ten program (yeah, I said it haha) when I finally realized that I was well trained and some of it stuck. Now I am an attending and I don’t know that I would change anything in retrospect because I am pretty happy with how things are going.

It makes me wonder whether the soul-crushing humility I encountered during residency served a purpose… but not enough to stop me from being a push over with my residents.

Depends on how you frame it. Probably a spectrum but one person's imposter syndrome is another's cognitive dissonance which is what motivates people to learn.

Imposter syndrome is closer to lack of confidence that looks like humility. Humility is and always will be a useful component of training and life. I guess they tend to go hand in hand, but imposter syndrome is more of a "negative" emotion, humility is not.

Imposter syndrome is closer to lack of confidence that looks like humility. Humility is and always will be a useful component of training and life. I guess they tend to go hand in hand, but imposter syndrome is more of a "negative" emotion, humility is not.
Humility: a modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness.

It's a fine line.

PGY-1 MY BODY WAS NOT READY, but actually ok when you are at home b/c you are not studying ie don't know how to read an EKG? Who cares!

PGY-2 It was great to FINALLY do rad onc, but it was very tough b/c you know nothing. Can barely do a consult, can't contour, don't know what 1.8 x 30 is off the top of your head. Reading all the time except while showering. ASTRO lecture during drives. Lots of late nights b/c of the reading and prep for patients, but I actually didn't mind all the reading and learning.

PGY-3 Same as above except easier.

PGY-4 Starts to be enjoyable and now getting hang of everything, but then you start worrying about your physics boards.

PGY-5 Oh, I must be the man b/c I can do a lot of things and I'm in an academic center. Worried about oral boards.

1st Year Out - Oh crap, my contours count now? Where is attending X when I need him/her? REALLY worried about oral boards

5+ Years Out - Love this job. Glad I have one. I do things differently from my attendings at the academic center and feel confident about it.

Reactions: 10 users

SDN RO forum is pretty US heavy for obvious reasons.

For me, what made residency challenging wasn’t the hours or clinical work but instead were the numerous toxic personalities of attendings (most of whom entered the field when they were begging anyone with a pulse to become a rad onc). I was a trainee during the competitive era, and for whatever reason the attendings not only were constantly at one another’s necks, but felt the need to be as toxic as possible with trainees who had no choice but to put up with their 💩. They made it their job to try to make us feel unworthy at all times while virtue signaling and acting self righteous constantly.

Of course their lack of interest in providing any meaningful education to us also made things challenging, but fortunately we were all good enough students to teach ourselves an entire field of medicine along with physics etc too in order to pass board exams and actually treat patients well.

As a resident, hope was kept alive by the false belief that we had matched into the greatest field and would have an amazing career and life post-training. Unfortunately, that belief proved to be a farce thanks once again to our amazing bottom of the med school class turned professor/chairmen leadership who proceeded to drive our field to the bottom. I also had no idea how much bs would arise as a result of being in a bottom of the food chain specialty with high overhead and now an over supply problem. It just keeps getting worse folks.
And now the toxic attendings and chairman have nothing left to sell the students or the residents (No job no good research prospects) but more brow beating. Its not like before the internet either...the cat is out of the bag on this one. They cant even dangle a job on the mega health system plantation anymore! There is nothing left.

PGY-1 MY BODY WAS NOT READY, but actually ok when you are at home b/c you are not studying ie don't know how to read an EKG? Who cares!

PGY-2 It was great to FINALLY do rad onc, but it was very tough b/c you know nothing. Can barely do a consult, can't contour, don't know what 1.8 x 30 is off the top of your head. Reading all the time except while showering. ASTRO lecture during drives. Lots of late nights b/c of the reading and prep for patients, but I actually didn't mind all the reading and learning.

PGY-3 Same as above except easier.

PGY-4 Starts to be enjoyable and now getting hang of everything, but then you start worrying about your physics boards.

PGY-5 Oh, I must be the man b/c I can do a lot of things and I'm in an academic center. Worried about oral boards.

1st Year Out - Oh crap, my contours count now? Where is attending X when I need him/her? REALLY worried about oral boards

5+ Years Out - Love this job. Glad I have one. I do things differently from my attendings at the academic center and feel confident about it.

My journey was more like

PGY-1 - Excited to be a doctor for about 4 weeks pretty much evaporated after that. The rest was pure misery and I didn't even go to that bad of a program. I was a vitals ***** and scut monkey. Attending's would always find something to complain about. But hey at least the people that stuck it out ended up getting decent gigs and fellowships

PGY 2-5 - Excited to be done with intern year and have weekends. Then the slow burn down...combination of ignorance, fear, anger, dread, and hate. But at least there were jobs.

Early Attending - I don't really care anymore. its a job. I don't worry about missing stuff because I miss **** all the time as long as nobody dies I don't care and the stuff we used to care about in residency doesn't really matter anyway. Its remarkable how much of what I do doesn't change the outcome. And Im supposed to make a 30yr career out of this? What a joke. At the end of the day I feel like I was lied to or more accurately I lied to myself about what this was and where it was all headed. Sure I get my weekends off but so what I get to sit around and wonder when those weekends off become weeks off if I get canned. How am I supposed to raise a family? Or get the **** on with the rest of my life. COVID hits and BAM the bean counters are questioning your very value as a person.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Love
Early Attending - I don't really care anymore. its a job. I don't worry about missing stuff because I miss **** all the time as long as nobody dies I don't care and the stuff we used to care about in residency doesn't really matter anyway. Its remarkable how much of what I do doesn't change the outcome. And Im supposed to make a 30yr career out of this? What a joke. At the end of the day I feel like I was lied to or more accurately I lied to myself about what this was and where it was all headed. Sure I get my weekends off but so what I get to sit around and wonder when those weekends off become weeks off if I get canned. How am I supposed to raise a family? Or get the **** on with the rest of my life. COVID hits and BAM the bean counters are questioning your very value as a person.
No no no, mathematically speaking, for every 4 breast cancer recurrences you prevent, you save a life!

"Uhh, what do you think Abduhl? Can you give me a number crunch real quick?

Uhhh.. yeah, gimme a sec… I’m coming up with thirty-two point three three uh, repeating of course, percentage, of survival.

Uh…that’s a lot better than we usually do. Uhh, alright, you think we’re ready guys?

Alright chums, I’m back! Let’s do this… LEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEENKIIIIIIIIIIINS!"

i found the personalities at my program to be more toxic than surgical personalities. At least for them they were overworked into oblivion. My attendings were pieces of **** just because they could even though we facilitated them going home after 4 hrs of work a day. The arrogance and condescension seem to be very specific to our field and I don't know why, its a very specific type of ugliness. We would all talk about it and how x y or z would be a chair one day, but ironically the entire thing is self selection.

Those who had the potential to change academia and were exactly what it needed were the ones most disgusted and antithesis of it. Not all of course, but academia attracts a lot of the power climbers that should stay away from it.

Reactions: 10 users
. My attendings were pieces of **** just because they could even though we facilitated them going home after 4 hrs of work a day. The arrogance and condescension seem to be very specific to our field and I don't know why,
When did they train? Some real hot garbage matched into the specialty intermittently from the 70s all the way into the 90s.

Said garbage has now taken the field over the cliff

This thread is wild.

PGY-2 year: confused about what anything means for around 4-6 months

PGY-3: gaining more proficiency

PGY-4: have knowledge to practice with minimal supervision for most disease sites without hurting people but constrained by US supervision requirements and patient expectations of attending involvement

PGY-5: why cant I graduate already/get me out of here

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This thread is wild.

PGY-2 year: confused about what anything means for around 4-6 months

PGY-3: gaining more proficiency

PGY-4: have knowledge to practice with minimal supervision for most disease sites without hurting people but constrained by US supervision requirements and patient expectations of attending involvement

PGY-5: why cant I graduate already/get me out of here
Now you know why rad onc residency was only 3 years until the early 90s

When did they train? Some real hot garbage matched into the specialty intermittently from the 70s all the way into the 90s.

Said garbage has now taken the field over the cliff
80s/90s, one of them literally did not know how to use a computer. It baffles me to this day

I'm sorry but I can't resist.

1628179845407.png

Some of the classes before me had been real misfits (showing up drunk or totally incompetent) and I was treated like royalty because I was a drug-free (mostly) American grad who did some reading outside work and did well on exams. I could really impress attendings by being able to stage common malignancies as a pgy 4. Very cushy time of my life. Never left after 4-5. Subsequently, expectations changed at the program, and it reportedly became highly malignant.

Last edited:
Thank you all for sharing your experience, it's great to hear different perspectives, but what about the social life aspect during your residency? did you guys and girls had a enough time for social activities?
during my med school my social life was 💩, I didn't do much honestly other than studying and i only traveled once it was stupid of me I always thought I needed to improve that during the residency I don't want to waste much more of my prime years.

my ranking if social life during med school and training
Years 1-2 of med school - great. Not too much different than college.
Year 3 med school - not as good. Just a lot more hours of the day taken up by being in hospital/clinic so less free time. But still pretty good
Year 4 medical school-better than 3rd. Electives were generally less time consuming than core clinical years.

intern year-worked hard but had good group of co interns and about half the year was conducive to having life outside of work

radonc- way worse than any of the above. Smaller group of people. Difficult to have time to meet people outside of work or even outside department. Routinely worked weekends (research, studying, etc). I went to a program with reputation for hard work/longer hours but I’d be surprised if your social life is better in residency than med school .
My social life was way better intern year

Rad Onc residency, gives a lot more time out of the hospital compared to most intern years.

What you do with that time is up to you.

There will be less of a built in departmental comraderie in terms of socializing outside of work, as it's smaller of a resident pool compared to any IM, TY, or Surgical class, with likely a higher percentage of people with SOs, kids, etc. due to higher percentage of MD/PhDs.

Too bad you're so far out from residency 'cause you could go whistleblow and make a mint. (I'm surprised more rad onc residents don't try this.) The supervision req's were always there. They just got "fashionable" ~10 years ago; of course it was sound and fury signifying nothing in the end. Look at what I wrote in 1998:

CD9XNWJ.png

Rad Onc residency, gives a lot more time out of the hospital compared to most intern years.

What you do with that time is up to you.
I moonlit *a lot* last year of residency at the local inner-city hospital in a sickle cell clinic. I made $120K my last year of residency which was a lot of cheddar back in those days. We got time off for electives, time off to job interview, got a month off for boards (we took all the boards before graduating)...

Too bad you're so far out from residency 'cause you could go whistleblow and make a mint. (I'm surprised more rad onc residents don't try this.) The supervision req's were always there. They just got "fashionable" ~10 years ago; of course it was sound and fury signifying nothing in the end. Look at what I wrote in 1998:

CD9XNWJ.png

I moonlit *a lot* last year of residency at the local inner-city hospital in a sickle cell clinic. I made $120K my last year of residency which was a lot of cheddar back in those days. We got time off for electives, time off to job interview, got a month off for boards (we took all the boards before graduating)...
Don't misunderstand. The faculty were PRESENT in their offices down the hall (writing papers)

my ranking if social life during med school and training
Years 1-2 of med school - great. Not too much different than college.
Year 3 med school - not as good. Just a lot more hours of the day taken up by being in hospital/clinic so less free time. But still pretty good
Year 4 medical school-better than 3rd. Electives were generally less time consuming than core clinical years.

intern year-worked hard but had good group of co interns and about half the year was conducive to having life outside of work

radonc- way worse than any of the above. Smaller group of people. Difficult to have time to meet people outside of work or even outside department. Routinely worked weekends (research, studying, etc). I went to a program with reputation for hard work/longer hours but I’d be surprised if your social life is better in residency than med school .
My social life was way better intern year
First 2 years of med school great??? Those were some of the most difficult years of my life lol

I’ll just say for me it’s all about free time. First 2 years of med school, you are obligated to about 20 hours a week of class (and most programs have lectures transcribed or online). After that you are in clinic 40-80 hours per week. The more flexibility in schedule the better for me

CD9XNWJ.png

I tried to make some extra monet but any avenue I tried to pursue they were like nope cant do that...dinguses till the end. Wish I was born earlier

I tried to make some extra monet but any avenue I tried to pursue they were like nope cant do that...dinguses till the end. Wish I was born earlier
My program was similar. No moonlighting allowed although some did it anyway
I have some radiology friends who made 200k or more Per year towards end of residency

• Wow
  • Love