Medical What should I do moving forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am relatively new to this forum, I used to roam around on here quite a bit but never fully committed to making an account because there's already a lot of informative threads on here. Nonetheless, I will go over some aspects of my history as a student and my current status as a pre-med.

(tl;dr below)

I started at a top 30 state school and ended up doing pretty well my first year of college (sGPA and cGPA both ~ 3.6). I did not like the vibe at my school, though, and I ended up transferring to a top 20 liberal arts college for my sophomore to now senior year.

I actually enjoyed a lot of aspects of the current school (lived on campus before moving home due to virus) and now I am home and doing a lot of self-reflection, realizing I should have tried so much harder. Many of my professors knew I was a good studier and great at taking exams, but I was really distracted and failed to do assignments on time, sometimes not doing them at all, as well as often skipping class! This made my cGPA become a 2.9, while my science sGPA is around a 3.1. I have quite a few C's and even two D+s, while only a few classes are A's and many many B's.

My friend recently gave me her MCAT study materials because she just applied to med schools and expects me to as well, but it's so embarrassing not having the right credentials (GPA) to actually be accepted. I think I could do really really well on the MCAT if I really set my mind to it.

I have done a lot of clinical volunteering (in a hospital as well as hospice) that totals up to around 300 for now. I have done community service hours ~ 200-250 as of now, shadowed a variety of doctors in a special program affiliated with my school, and have been involved in many social justice organizations.

I calculated how many science classes I would need to raise my science GPA to around a 3.7, assuming I get all A's, it would take 20-25 classes! I could potentially do this in two years time, an option I am thinking of, because after a lot of self-reflection I am really motivated to succeed and pursue a career in medicine.

Do you have any valuable advice for me?

tl;dr

- Top 20 LAC (transferred after one year, 3.6 sGPA at prior, 3.1 sGPA at current).
- MCAT: have not taken yet, but intend on doing very well!
- 200-250 hours of community service
- ~300 hours of clinical experience
- Involved in many clubs at my school
- URM in terms of sexuality
- Shadowed several doctors (total of 50 hours, but will definitely do more)
- Little research experience, would love to do more before applying.

Would it be wise to take higher-level courses I know I could do well in with the right motivation / discipline (would take ~ 2 years to have a competitive GPA), or should I apply to an SMP? Other options?
Everyone always "intends" to do well on the MCAT. Once you start taking practice exams then you can see where you fall.

Regardless, if you wanna go to medical school you will need at least a year of strong post-bac work (meaning getting "A"s in most if not all your courses). You need to show the ADCOM you have what it takes to succeed in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Right, I definitely understand that. For me, I do very well under pressure, which means test-taking comes easier to me. I almost always score above average, except in some humanities courses. On the other hand, not feeling subject to pressure greatly attenuates my motivation :(.

Will it make a difference if I begin taking courses at my state school now? It's not as reputable as my current school but it's a top 70 public university. It will save me a lot of money moving forward.
As long as it’s a four year you will be good.

I know I could do well in with the right motivation / discipline (would take ~ 2 years to have a competitive GPA), or should I apply to an SMP? Other options?
You really need to have some introspection, figure out why you weren't motivated/disciplined previously, and what you're actively going to do this time that will be different. People don't generally just wake up one day and magically behave differently--it happens, but it's the exception not the rule. Furthermore, it's great that you're motivated right now, but this is something you have to sustain over the course of at least a year. Are you going to get a tutor who will keep you accountable? Address underlying mental health issues? Have a stronger support system? Not get distracted because you're not living on a college campus? You need to have a plan, because you're really at the end of the line here--another semester with the same results will probably permanently torpedo your GPA.

It's pointless to even consider MCAT hypotheticals at this point. Doing well in the next semester is step 1. If you succeed with that, then you can start thinking about step 2.

SMP is always high risk/high reward. I would strongly recommend that you demonstrate that you can hang with some undergrad classes before considering an SMP. There aren't really any other options at this point beyond rehabbing your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are definitely right about introspection and having a plan. I could potentially do three or four courses each semester and also do summer courses to speed up the process.

Are summer courses at four-year universities also factored into your GPA?
Yes they are factored in.

Again, just focus on your next semester for now.

Thank you for the valuable advice, everyone!

I am going to take this one step at a time because I know I really want to pursue this. Hopefully all goes well and one semester will lead to another successful semester. I know it's overall unlikely but I am willing to go against the odds.

Starting with a lot of introspection and a daily plan will be a good starter.
Piecemeal. Step by step.

Status
Not open for further replies.