Medical What should I do moving forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Hi everyone, I’ve tried to speak to my pre-health advisors, but I can’t get a “straight” answer on what to do. I just got rejected during this cycle because of my metrics and need a metric revamp. I’m a socio-economically disadvantaged student BTW — I was homeless (working since 17 yrld) and have always had to pay my way through undergrad, immigrant, and ESL.
  • My story in extra detail was shown on my school news once I graduated, so you can see there for more detail here: Once homeless, USC neuroscience grad uses grit and determination to pursue his dreams
  • Metrics (Denied across the board, of course)
    • GPA overall 2.92//Science 3.18//MCAT 492
      • I was working roughly 60-75hours per week while studying for the MCAT for two months
  • I’ve been naive and rushed — but I need to slow down, which I have, so advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have gotten accepted to the Georgetown SMP for Fall 2021 — however that’s the thing should I go? Or should I do a DIY Post-Bacc? I also think the the UC Post-Bacc for re-apps is really good for me, thoughts?
  • If anyone could PM me I would love to share my AMCAS
Research - include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): Around 1000 hours of research in clinical setting. Two posters & 1 publication
Volunteering (clinical) - include hours/sites: 100 hours volunteering at a children's hospital
Physician shadowing - include hours/specialties: 500 hours shadowing a neurosurgeon cardiologist and 10 shadowing an orthopedic surgeon. 100 hours on call with a resident neurosurgeon
Non-clinical volunteering: 4500 hours as president for transfer students at my undergrad institution. Did a lot… large list but major was to enact academic policy that helps underserved students that potential fail out.
Employment history: I have worked full time/part-time since undergrad. Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): nope first-generation college student
Was it absolutely necessary to work that many hours while studying for the MCAT? Aside from your GPA, you are going to need to retake your MCAT to have any shot at MD or DO. I had to take time off work to study and (if this is something that is a possibility for you), you may need to do that. From your story, it seems that this may not be an option, so maybe decreasing the hours you work would suffice?

A post-bac would be fine as long as you ace it. Your goal is to show medical schools that you can handle the rigorous courses medical school offers. If you do a post-bac or SMP and do not do well, your chances are basically gone.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the response. I had two jobs because one paid the bills yet it was at-risk of going bankrupt due to COVID (which it did) the other was my back up (which now makes ends meet). Things are calm now, I guess my question is if I should take the GT SMP?

Thanks
Read this for the pluses and minuses of post-bac vs SMP.
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Status
Not open for further replies.