Medical Guidance moving forward after bad first year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I finished my first year studying BME and I regretfully completed the year with a 2.68 GPA and a record of an institutional action. If I hypothetically do everything in my power in the following 3-4 years of my undergrad and turn things around to become a model medical school applicant, would I still be competitive for medical school as an ORM?

Should I continue the path towards med school or should I turn away from it before it is too late.

Thank you

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to this question is very much “it depends” (with a fair dose of “anything is technically possible”). A few off the top of my head:
- what classes did you struggle with and why?
- what have you done to address those struggles?
- what was the IA and what have you done to reflect on that and what is your plan for mitigation?

I could come up with more, but those would get you started on a path to fixing things enough over the next couple years.

It would be good to know what the IA was.

You can do a post-bac program if you haven't done a lot of the requirements through your BME but if you have maybe doing an SMP would be more ideal.

It will be a long, difficult journey, but you wouldn't be the first to go through it and be successful

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, it's possible. But you need to figure out why you didn't succeed so far. The "I'm going to just work way harder and pull myself up by my bootstraps" plan rarely works.

OP: ... hypothetically do everything in my power in the following 3-4 years of my undergrad and turn things around to become a model medical school applicant ...

This is magical thinking. What's your actual plan?

As for a solid plan of action moving forward, I'm confident that I am able to pull my grades up,

How will you pull your grades up? Have you identified why you have done poorly up to this point?

Until you can articulate why your grades are not strong, you can’t make a plan to address them. And you certainly should not be confident that it will just happen by sheer force of will. You need to outline concrete/tangible/actionable steps that you will take, and identify outside supports that you will seek (tutoring, counseling, mentorship, whatever is needed). Before that plan can take shape, you need to understand where you’re going wrong. Determination and positive thinking will be important but they aren’t the framework on which this transformation should take place.

I'd refer you to your academic services office to be sure about your study habits and time management. Going to professor office hours and forming study groups where you are not the (only) smartest one in the group should help, even if it is a virtual study group. Control your time dedicated to fun; you are allowed to have some but don't go overboard.

I was constantly in professor office hours during undergrad. Don’t try and do this by yourself. College is a major adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.