What does an MD consultant do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Axes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do MD consultants do that differentiates them from guys hired out of college? My understanding is that they consult medical device companies, health systems, pharmas etc. But to what extent does medical education really factor in? Will 99% of acquired knowledge be dead weight? Any people with first hand experience? TY

(My story: I've been shadowing doctors and the pace and uniformity of the career isn't really for me. I did a consulting internship at MBB and loved it. I could really see myself thriving in that environment. As of now, I'm leaning toward skipping med school altogether and just letting my summer position become a job at the end of college. That said, I've always loved biology, anatomy, physiology etc..I think I'd really enjoy and gain a lot from medical school. I'd like to incorporate it into my career if possible. People I met during my internship hadn't really worked closely with MDs, as the firm I was at had relatively few.)

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice medicine clinically, get the MD.
If you want to work in the healthcare industry, skip the MD.

Having spoken to MBB consultants with an MD, I've been told that the value of the degree diminishes as you progress in your career. Your abilities to manage people and sell projects are more important than what you know or the letters behind your name.

That's what I figured. Thanks