Any MDs turned MBB consults here? How to I make the transition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomodel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. I'm an AMG that's exploring a transition to MBB consulting.

I did a search but a lot of the threads were either really old or didn't have much info from people who actually went from medicine to management consulting. I'm not worried about salary at this stage, I'm more concerned with how I go about developing contacts.

A little background on me...I didn't match the past 2 years due to multiple Step 2 attempts. MS1-3 and Step 1 were fine, beginning of 4th year I got sick and...yeah. I got better by Spring but I was already screwed by then; it totally sucks but I'm trying to make lemonade. While I study for step 3 and reapply, I'd like to explore other options since the match is becoming harder every year for unlucky souls like me. During the past 2 years I've done unpaid clinical research and I'm currently volunteering at a clinic in my area to keep up my clinical skills.

I'd always planned on doing some consulting later on in my medical career; I worked as an accounting clerk to save money before I went to med school so I'm comfortable in a corporate environment. Because of my corporate experience I know better than to submit my application/CV through an online form where it will promptly disappear.

I'd like to get in contact with an MD who has successfully made the leap so I can get an idea of what steps I need to take to hopefully get an interview. The major firms have offices in my city but I've missed all the deadlines for summer programs and since I've already graduated I don't qualify for the 4 week med student rotation that McKinsey offers. I'm reworking my CV/resume now before I email recruiters next week but I was hoping to get some info before then.

Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

Did you ever get any input on this question? I am just seeing this today (and I don't begin med school until May, so I def. don't have advice for you), but being a former corporate/banking type, I was interested in the topic. Hope you found a place to land this fall.

MBB all take MD MBAs, and have separate streams even for those just with the MD (no MBA)

Members don't see this ad :)
At the consulting world they always prefer MD with residency or clinical experience donot be fooled by the MBA extensive marketing and advertisements its not not worth the cost. all reputable consulting firms will be dedicated for training and developing their employees once they recruit them.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed for an APD position at McK before I decided to go on to residency. This was 3 yrs ago.

I had submitted my application online through their own website; and received an invite within a 48 hours. I was suprised - I'm not an AMG.

There was a ridiculous amount of math involved in the interviews. The other ~40 candidates were all from MPH backgrounds.

I interviewed for an APD position at McK before I decided to go on to residency. This was 3 yrs ago.

I had submitted my application online through their own website; and received an invite within a 48 hours. I was suprised - I'm not an AMG.

There was a ridiculous amount of math involved in the interviews. The other ~40 candidates were all from MPH backgrounds.

Would you mind sharing your stats when you applied? I am looking to do the same thing as a DO. I have a business/finance background as well so I thought that would help. Many people say to do at least intern year so you can be licensed but I really don't want to put myself through that hell if I don't have to!

Bump, can anyone offer any recent experiences?