Finance/Consulting Jobs for Dental Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InformMe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How feasible and what would it take for a recent dental school graduate to get into finance (like banking) or get consulting job?

Members don't see this ad.

Easy once they get actual training in finance

Reactions: 1 user
Easy once they get actual training in finance

Pretty much. The easiest thing to do would be to research each job type listed on Forums, and then search indeed.com or monster.com for jobs in each category to see what their requirements are (e.g. investment banking requires a BA in business, economics, or a related field; sales/trading requires broker's licenses, equity research requires the former plus specialized knowledge of a market area, etc.). To get into any field, you might consider doing something similar to what I did, which was finding a sales/trading internship that will sponsor me for the broker's license exams. After completing it and trading for a few years, I'd have exit opportunities in a few different fields, and be able to work my way up to a portfolio manager, managing director, etc at a hedge fund, go into private equity, venture capital, and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the thought on getting an MBA after dental school for this?

What's the thought on getting an MBA after dental school for this?

So MBAs can be helpful from the standpoint of setting you up with an internship at a consulting firm and improving your baseline knowledge of business (this can be hard to demonstrate to a company without prior business work experience). While an MD is certainly an added bonus (I'd liken it to a PhD) and can help market you as an expert within the field of healthcare, I'm not entirely sure what the perception of a dental degree would be (since it's more narrow in scope and most healthcare clients that consulting firms serve aren't dentistry specific). If your heart is set on healthcare consulting though, you may want to consider ditching the dental degree altogether and going straight to MBA (not sure if you've actually graduated, are still in school or are just considering dental school). Admittedly, people with advanced medical degrees typically start at those firms at a higher starting salary (between $110K - $150K) than perhaps some regular MBAs and certainly undergrads do. Do recognize, consulting is not easy and many of my friends who have done it have burned out after a couple years of averaging 60-70 hour weeks.

That said, consulting opens up many doors and head hunters love people with consulting backgrounds. Out of 3 good friends I have that did consulting, 2 left after 2 years but got very nice jobs in industries of their preference. One is still in it as he just got promoted...