Looking for Career advice in consulting, MLS, or Physician executive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathbusiness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a brief introduction. I am a 45 year old Pathologist who did Five years of residency and then a year of fellowship from very good university programs. Soon after I joined a private practice. We were a group of six pathologists with a very nice lab and mostly out of state clients. We did very well for eleven years and became an extremely busy practice(Revenues in excess of $18M per year). I was the junior most partner. Two years ago someone made an offer to buy us that we could not refuse(Almost 3.5 times our annual revenue). All other partners were above 65 and happily retired. Me and other partner stayed on with new company to ensure smooth transition which took a year approx.
I took a six months break to straighten up my investments etc. I also helped a friend of mine who owns a Medical IT company acting as Medical executive for one of the projects his company had contracted which involved acting as a liaison between the two entities. It involved fair deal of travel and actually liked it.
I want to venture into business side of medicine(fields like MSL, Medical executive etc) but don't know how to start. I have great experience in dealing with sales teams, design and implementation of Pathology EMR's and pretty good interpersonal skills.
Obviously money is not the driving force this time around and the idea of working as a staff pathologist for a big company does not appeal anymore.
I will really appreciate input from people who have ventured from active practice into this field.

Members don't see this ad.