Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering having a custom engagement ring made for my girlfriend....what do you all think of this?

ringdesign.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

i think this is quite lovely, elegant. but - your girlfriend might like princess cut or square even more. my husband bought my first engagement ring and though lovely, i did not like it (it was too big, loud really) so i had to exchange it. which kinda hurt his feelings (but on the bright side he was not permently scarred) i love love love the ring that i picked out (it kinda looks like yours) and he loves that i love it. :love:

It's very original ! I've never even heard of those stones before (alexandrite and tanzanite). The alexandrite sounds especially neat because it changes colors. Is there a reason why you chose those stones? Personally, I see nothing wrong with simplicity. I only got a diamond solitaire engagement ring and that was enough for me. If a woman starts fussing about the design of her engagement ring, it's not a very good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexandrite is one of her birthstones (the other being a pearl), and tanzanite is one of my birthstones.

Dude I dont want to totally rain on your parade but think real real hard about marriage...it simply isnt what it once was.

It always sounds like a good idea, but I would say for the most part its not.

Seriously, in some surveys up to 20% of children are not the biological offspring of the husband and that was taken of all marriages, not just ones where infidelty was suspected. Pretty shocking actually.

Then consider even if you found out your kids werent yours, you would still be on the hook for child support as crazy as that sounds.

The interesting thing is I think nearly everyone has the inclination at one time or another to cheat and its merely how many times you encounter temptation that becomes the variable. Now more than ever women have lots of "guy friends" they hang out with occasionally (of course to them its supposedly platonic, but you know that guy friend wants to hit that) and guys have all the women they interact with at work. Heck healthcare is becoming predominantly women, who when overworked start heading out on the prowl for new romance eventually.

Its inevitable really.

Everyone always says it wont happen to me, even I say that! but in reality it will and it does. Although you might think you and your GF are a team, you really are just individuals watching out for your own self interests first and foremost.

Regardless, be cautious, very cautious. Hide some cash every chance you get.

Trust me....I know....I'm giving a LOT of thought to it.

DropkickMurphy said:
Trust me....I know....I'm giving a LOT of thought to it.

Dude the no.1 golden rule. Never, ever tell her how much money you have stored away, always underestimate it. File you taxes separately. Understate your income by 25% or more. Trust no one.

LADoc00 said:
think real real hard about marriage...it simply isnt what it once was.

Seriously, in some surveys up to 20% of children are not the biological offspring of the husband and that was taken of all marriages, not just ones where infidelty was suspected. Pretty shocking actually.

Then consider even if you found out your kids werent yours, you would still be on the hook for child support as crazy as that sounds.

The interesting thing is I think nearly everyone has the inclination at one time or another to cheat and its merely how many times you encounter temptation that becomes the variable. Now more than ever women have lots of "guy friends" they hang out with occasionally (of course to them its supposedly platonic, but you know that guy friend wants to hit that) and guys have all the women they interact with at work. Heck healthcare is becoming predominantly women, who when overworked start heading out on the prowl for new romance eventually.

Its inevitable really.

Everyone always says it wont happen to me, even I say that! but in reality it will and it does. Although you might think you and your GF are a team, you really are just individuals watching out for your own self interests first and foremost.

Agreed!

LADoc00 said:
Dude the no.1 golden rule. Never, ever tell her how much money you have stored away, always underestimate it. File you taxes separately. Understate your income by 25% or more. Trust no one.

Agreed!

My first reaction was -- it depends on her taste. If it's very classical, then I would stay away from colored side-stones.

But then I read your reasons for choosing them and I think that's awesome!

What is palladium? I would get the color that she normally wears (ie. if she wears lots of silver, white gold, platinum, go with either WG or platimun, if she wears yellow gold, go with yellow).

White gold by the way, is just low grade gold with nickel electroplating. I was warned of this by one of my friends who is a jeweler. Palladium is another metal, it's similar to platinum, nearly as tough and not nearly as expensive. Chances are it will be yellow gold.....it's a judgment call because she doesn't wear ANY jewelry. She owns two pair of earrings, one pearl necklace that I bought her but no rings, bracelets, etc.....

LADoc00 said:
Dude I dont want to totally rain on your parade but think real real hard about marriage...it simply isnt what it once was.

Its inevitable really.

Regardless, be cautious, very cautious. Hide some cash every chance you get.

I am thrilled not to be married to you and feel sorry for anyone who would tolerate your self-centered and negative stance. :thumbdown:

TypeA said:
I am thrilled not to be married to you and feel sorry for anyone who would tolerate your self-centered and negative stance. :thumbdown:

I dont expect much more from someone who listens to Melissa Etheridge...Dr. Underdog? :laugh:

The ring is very nice, and I think that she will appreciate the fact that it is custom and meaningful.

As for LADoc00.....

His pattern seems to be that he comes out against anything anyone has to say. And there is no point in arguing with him since it will only justify his position as an antagonist.

And for the record, marriage is hard work, but if you have made the right choice, you gain much more than you give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
DropkickMurphy said:
White gold by the way, is just low grade gold with nickel electroplating. I was warned of this by one of my friends who is a jeweler. Palladium is another metal, it's similar to platinum, nearly as tough and not nearly as expensive. Chances are it will be yellow gold.....it's a judgment call because she doesn't wear ANY jewelry. She owns two pair of earrings, one pearl necklace that I bought her but no rings, bracelets, etc.....

platinum - oh so lovely and worth the price, it goes nicley with everything and will show off the stones better -
but again i'd let her pick since she will wear it for the rest of her life :love:

Zerosixjt said:
As for LADoc00.....

His pattern seems to be that he comes out against anything anyone has to say. And there is no point in arguing with him since it will only justify his position as an antagonist.

Slander I say! Im clearly the protagonist here.

The key issue is whether she'd rather be surprised be what you pick out or rather have the ring she'd pick out. I suggest trying to find that out by window shopping at a few jewelry stores with her and dropping a few hints... My wife picked out her own somewhat non-traditional engagement ring. I never would have gotten it right! Some want only a single diamond, others more non-traditional. You might as least try to get that info out of her.

Regards

OBP

DropkickMurphy said:

Yellow gold is the best ! You can never go wrong with it.

I was talking to my bridesmaids-to-be this evening and we were discussing types of engagement rings. The ring type doesn't only depend on coordinating the ring with her other jewelry but her personality as well. If she is traditional, be modest and get her a classic diamond solitaire ring. If she likes being bold, you can add some color with side gemstones (like you mentioned) .

One girlfriend told me of this website where you can design your own ring (either you or her). http://adiamondisforever.com/dyoer/index.html I don't get the logic of women designing their own engagement ring but apparently some do.

Did you figure out her ring size? My fiancée confided his "dirty" secret to me. He took one of my rings (without me knowing) and pressed it into a bar of soap. He's a smart one. He could have given me a plastic ring from a box of Cracker Jack and I still would have squealed "yes! a million times yes!" :D :love:

18k white or yellow is the same amount of gold. The white coloring is achieved by mixing the yellow with rhodium. Here's a good comparison of white gold and platinum.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/SettingSearch/Platinum_WhiteGold/

I, for one, would not wear yellow gold. It's just personal preference. There are ladies who won't wear white or platinum either...

I would say go with white gold (I did) and cut the other stones out so you can get a bigger diamond. You only have one chance to get the diamond (unless you plan to upgrade later) and that is the one everyone looks at. There are many other opportunities in life (birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, child birth) when you can buy her a nice ring with her birthstone or yours or your kids.

I say dump all the cash into the diamond.

I don't know your financial situation, but 1-carat is a respectable stone.

I guess the question is moot now....we broke up last night. If anyone wants details...PM me.

DropkickMurphy said:
I guess the question is moot now....we broke up last night. If anyone wants details...PM me.

How sad

DropkickMurphy said:

OMFG I called that. Im psychic, I swear. Dude, I got your back.

Sorry bout the disappointment, but lots of fish in the sea. Crazy tho but when I first read this post I had this telepathic voice telling me something was amiss so I posted.

CYA, always and of course, trust no one.

Hey BTW, is this her??
funny_tshirts10.jpg

OMFG I called that. Im psychic, I swear. Dude, I got your back.

Sorry bout the disappointment, but lots of fish in the sea. Crazy tho but when I first read this post I had this telepathic voice telling me something was amiss so I posted.
*looks around for an Angiocath to decompress the tension egothorax*

:laugh: Yeah, there are plenty of fish. No disappointment on my end....it's her loss. :smuggrin:

My girlfriend here says she really likes it, and she's pritty picky lol

DropkickMurphy said:
*looks around for an Angiocath to decompress the tension egothorax*

:laugh: Yeah, there are plenty of fish. No disappointment on my end....it's her loss. :smuggrin:

I really son't understand how you can feel no dissapointment in losing the woman you had planned to ask to spend the rest fo your life with.....

but anyway, I agree with the other poster who said dump all the cash into the diamond and cut out the colored stones. They will just detract from the diamond which is the one everyone gets excited over anyway.

Also, I know this is moot now, but for future reference, white gold has a tendency to turn yellow over time and you have to keep taking it back to the jeweler to have it replated with the rhodium. If you want the white gold look, platinum is ultimately the best choice because it develops a patina over time and is much stronger than gold.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out, man. Better to realize it now than after the wedding and end up in a messy divorce though.

Poot, I came in on this pretty late.

Well, for the record, as far as metals go - it's all about taste. My engagement ring is white gold. I've had no problem with it yellowing, but I'm a woman. I don't work much with my hands, so it hasn't exactly had the chance to yellow. His, however, has. (Yes, we have matching rings - we're doing things differently, keep your opinions to yourself.) He uses his hands a lot more, so the rhodium wore off. I would say that if you have the money to put toward platinum from the get-go to do it, but if you don't, don't. My parents didn't at the time they got married, so for their 20th anniversary they upgraded to platinum. Getting married when they wanted to was more important than what metal the rings were made of (if only everyone still saw it that way.)