i was dating a medical resident but i think he dumped me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations:
  • First, thanks to OP. This thread reminds me of how women like to communicate, how they communicate with each other, and how thankful I am.
  • OP is using this thread to not seek answers, but more as a listening thread.
  • OP wants a more traditional relationship, but is attracted to a guy that doesn't conform to that. Hence, all the drama.
  • Dude made a decision: benefit of dating OP < cost of dating OP. Benefit is not just sex, btw. Costs: her demands/pressure, her insecurity, her reason for liking him, her insults.
  • If I were same dude, I would be reluctant to drop all other leads due to 1) negative interactions with OP, 2) start of relationship is fragile and can easily break, 3) trust seem frayed.
Just so you can relate what could be going on this guy's head, last semester a girl in my class was interested in me. She got real mad because I was still flirting with other girls. Why would I do that? Because I didn't trust her yet, and to be honest, I didn't know if I even liked her enough to let the other girls go. In the end, it didn't work out. I found out later she was dating another guy outside school, and my reaction is: she expected me to drop my leads when she still has a man?

Women are like that, incredibly egotistical and insecure. Any smart man would proceed with caution when dealing with a new potential love.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
+10000000000000000

The OP is hilarious. :corny:

You mean you wouldn't commit to someone after 4 dates and demonstrate your committment to all by changing your fb status ? :laugh: :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Its interesting, I missed the 4 dates part, for some reasons I thougt they saw each other much more frequently and wondered how that was possible given his schedule.

In all, I find it ironic how you preached to me about how getting to know someone is much more than just making sure the penis fits the vagina, yet you saw the guy 4 times for christ's sake, how much knowing could you have done in that time ?

Doing simple math, I saw my bf everyday bf we slept together for 3 weeks, that's 21 dates - 4 dates = 17 more dates than you guys had before we made sure the penis fits. :laugh: I am feeling mathy today ! :luck:

In light of this though, I dont blame you though, I would not sleep with a guy after 4 dates either. Six weeks and 4 dates is a terrible ratio- loose loose situation, too few dates, too long
of a time. Find someone within your own social circle, cruel to say this but him being a resident and you being a pre- med, you are on completely different dimensions in life. I wouldnt date a - pre-health student after I graduate for the simple reasin that I already worked my ass off for the past god knows how many years, I would want a partner I can now enjoy my life with - travel, etc, not someone who still has years and years of training ahead of them.

I feel like you're not telling us the whole story here. Guys don't text girls every day unless they're really, really into them. If he was just looking for sex, it would have been once every couple of days. So tell me this, did he ever directly ask you to have sex with him? Or did you just randomly assume that was all he was interested in?

I can tell you from personal experience that there is more to us guys than just a desire to have sex. If I got into a relationship where the woman I was dating said she didn't believe in physical intimacy at all, I'd call it off immediately, because you have to have that in order for a relationship to work. On the other hand, though, if a girl repeatedly accused me of only being into her for sex, I'd be so insulted that I'd call it off. Neither extreme is really a good thing (unless you've talked it over and decided that you're both ok with whatever is going to happen between the two of you).

Keep in mind that most guys that are even remotely mature will be up front about their relationship desires. It causes a huge amount of drama to say you're looking for a relationship when all you want is sex (and it's unnecessary drama too-most guys are capable of finding a girl who also only wants sex out of the relationship). Maybe I'm misreading your comments, but it seems like something doesn't add up.

I don't know dude, but that's exactly what happened. Maybe he was infatuated with me and it faded out? And, yes he tried to have sex with me several times and I always said no. I did not say I didn't believe in intimacy. We made out a lot and when doing that he would always try to go further. I did tell him I wouldn't sleep with him unless we were in a real relationship (i.e. changed facebook, I met his friends, etc.) Him telling me "we're bf/gf" is meaningless BS that he said hoping it would help him get what he wanted.

Last edited:
Women are like that, incredibly egotistical and insecure.

Yep, that's exactly how ALL women are! Just like all men only care about getting laid, right? :rolleyes:

I feel like my IQ drops the more I read of this thread...

Observations:
  • First, thanks to OP. This thread reminds me of how women like to communicate, how they communicate with each other, and how thankful I am.
  • OP is using this thread to not seek answers, but more as a listening thread.
  • OP wants a more traditional relationship, but is attracted to a guy that doesn't conform to that. Hence, all the drama.
  • Dude made a decision: benefit of dating OP < cost of dating OP. Benefit is not just sex, btw. Costs: her demands/pressure, her insecurity, her reason for liking him, her insults.
  • If I were same dude, I would be reluctant to drop all other leads due to 1) negative interactions with OP, 2) start of relationship is fragile and can easily break, 3) trust seem frayed.
Just so you can relate what could be going on this guy's head, last semester a girl in my class was interested in me. She got real mad because I was still flirting with other girls. Why would I do that? Because I didn't trust her yet, and to be honest, I didn't know if I even liked her enough to let the other girls go. In the end, it didn't work out. I found out later she was dating another guy outside school, and my reaction is: she expected me to drop my leads when she still has a man?

Women are like that, incredibly egotistical and insecure. Any smart man would proceed with caution when dealing with a new potential love.

Ok are you dense or just choosing not to listen. HE LIED! HE said he wanted to be bf/gf. I said if he wanted commitment he should delete his profile and change his fb. HE AGREED AND THEN DIDN'T - SO HE LIED. I didn't pressure him, but I was pissed that he lied. He told me what I wanted to hear and then did what he wanted.

Do you follow? Your communication sucks owing to the fact your reading comprehension skills are ****.

Last edited:
You mean you wouldn't commit to someone after 4 dates and demonstrate your committment to all by changing your fb status ? :laugh: :confused:

If he said "No, I don't feel comfortable doing that" It would be fine. But, he agreed to do something and then didn't. Which is a huge problem.

Are you so used to sneaky academic tactics that you do not see how his behavior was ****ty and reprehensible?

Its interesting, I missed the 4 dates part, for some reasons I thougt they saw each other much more frequently and wondered how that was possible given his schedule.

In all, I find it ironic how you preached to me about how getting to know someone is much more than just making sure the penis fits the vagina, yet you saw the guy 4 times for christ's sake, how much knowing could you have done in that time ?

Doing simple math, I saw my bf everyday bf we slept together for 3 weeks, that's 21 dates - 4 dates = 17 more dates than you guys had before we made sure the penis fits. :laugh: I am feeling mathy today ! :luck:

In light of this though, I dont blame you though, I would not sleep with a guy after 4 dates either. Six weeks and 4 dates is a terrible ratio- loose loose situation, too few dates, too long
of a time. Find someone within your own social circle, cruel to say this but him being a resident and you being a pre- med, you are on completely different dimensions in life. I wouldnt date a - pre-health student after I graduate for the simple reasin that I already worked my ass off for the past god knows how many years, I would want a partner I can now enjoy my life with - travel, etc, not someone who still has years and years of training ahead of them.

I graduated college and was doing a masters at the time. He lived forty minutes away and would need to drive to see me. Though we could have met in the city. We didn't. He definitely wanted to get laid. That's how those dating websites work. I think a lot of it has to do with propinquity and the fact you can meet so many people outside your city and social circle who you would never interact with otherwise. His texts in the beginning were weird as well. He would always tell me about news stories having to do with violence against women (he did this the first few times we talked).

Y That's also why lesbian culture is so promiscuous.

Also, why is promiscuity the norm in gay culture if men and women are not fundamentally different in their attitude to sex.

Has no one else noticed that rather blatant homophobia? Seriously OP....

I'm sorry, you sound like a complete and utter basketcase, overanalyzing and whining about why you got dumped, and making tons of assumptions to justify yourself. Seriously. No guy wants to date someone who acts like that.

Has no one else noticed that rather blatant homophobia? Seriously OP....

I'm sorry, you sound like a complete and utter basketcase, overanalyzing and whining about why you got dumped, and making tons of assumptions to justify yourself. Seriously. No guy wants to date someone who acts like that.
Lolz. I'm bisexual. What I said is not homophobic its fact. I do not convey judgment, but was saying the truth. Rates of STDS are lowest among lesbian women. That's not homophic or hateful, but a fact. You sound like the blond haired blue eyed girl from CT in my english class who accussed me of being a "pretty white girl" when I'm 1/4 turkish. Also, he didn't dump me because we were never in a relationship. He's just not chasing me anymore. AKA he gave up on trying to get me into bed.

Lolz. I'm bisexual. What I said is not homophobic its fact. I do not convey judgment, but was saying the truth. Rates of STDS are lowest among lesbian women. That's not homophic or hateful, but a fact. You sound like the blond haired blue eyed girl from CT in my english class who accussed me of being a "pretty white girl" when I'm 1/4 turkish. Also, he didn't dump me because we were never in a relationship. He's just not chasing me anymore. AKA he gave up on trying to get me into bed.

Id say he gave up because the cost benefit ratio of trying to pursue you and put up with your semantics is not worth it for him when there is probably a 100 hot single nurses/ medical students/ pharmacists at his hospital who got a good head on their shoulders, almost done with their training and have far more in common with him than you.

He may have talked sh@t about his colleagues talking too much about work but he secretly enjoyed it - truth is, health professiols love nothing more than to associate with other like minded health professionals who have similar experience, background, and also undergone years of grueling training. This is why this is student doctor network not doctors who love to talk about literature network. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

Pun intended? :p :laugh:

Honestly, I'd probably be more likely to throw the OP a bit of validity had it ever sounded like she was willing to own up to her part in all of this.

Btw, you titled the thread " but I think he dumped me", so technically you thought he dumped you, no need to argue now that he stopped pursuing you.

Biochemistry undergrad major = observational skills at its finest, bam ! :laugh:

Btw, you titled the thread " but I think he dumped me", so technically you thought he dumped you, no need to argue now that he stopped pursuing you.

Biochemistry undergrad major = observational skills at its finest, bam ! :laugh:

English undergrad major close reading skills: the post is entitled "i think he dumped me" The phrase "I think" before the statement "dumped me" implies I was unsure as to what happened. Did he dump me? Was I rejected? What happened? However, he could not have dumped me because we were never in a relationship. I made this post to clarify what happened. OK. Its akin to going for a lengthy job interview, not getting the job, and then saying "I think I was fired from this bizarre hiring process"

Id say he gave up because the cost benefit ratio of trying to pursue you and put up with your semantics is not worth it for him when there is probably a 100 hot single nurses/ medical students/ pharmacists at his hospital who got a good head on their shoulders, almost done with their training and have far more in common with him than you.

He may have talked sh@t about his colleagues talking too much about work but he secretly enjoyed it - truth is, health professiols love nothing more than to associate with other like minded health professionals who have similar experience, background, and also undergone years of grueling training. This is why this is student doctor network not doctors who love to talk about literature network. :laugh:

From what he said at his hospital a lot of the nurses are foreign (we are in the tristate area). His cohort seemed to consist of like ten people. And I don't think he would date people he worked with...

Do you follow? Your communication sucks owing to the fact your reading comprehension skills are ****.

Let me spell it out in kindergarden terms for you.

Boy meets girl.
Girl wonders why boy still has facebook status as single and dating profile is still up.
Boy wonders whether girl is just a tease and is stringing along other guys on the side that he doesn't know about.
Boy lies to girl. Girl puts down boy. Boy tells girl to get lost.

You sound like the blond haired blue eyed girl from CT in my english class who accussed me of being a "pretty white girl" when I'm 1/4 turkish.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Priceless......

Sounds like you have some insecurity issues to work out.

whambulance1.jpg

In reality, I'm a redhead from the South who cuts up dead s***.

Yep, that's exactly how ALL women are! Just like all men only care about getting laid, right? :rolleyes:

I feel like my IQ drops the more I read of this thread...

Caveat: I like the pretty girls, who tend to be unstable and difficult by nature. :p

Let me spell it out in kindergarden terms for you.

Boy meets girl.
Girl wonders why boy still has facebook status as single and dating profile is still up.
Boy wonders whether girl is just a tease and is stringing along other guys on the side that he doesn't know about.
Girl puts down boy. Boy tells girl to get lost.

But, if I was willing to change my facebook that would mean I was serious. Also, you are refusing to accept that HE LIED. Had he flatly said "i wont change my facebook" it would be one thing. But he is the one who said he wanted to be bf/gf and he is the one who said he would do something and didn't.

But, if I was willing to change my facebook that would mean I was serious. Also, you are refusing to accept that HE LIED. Had he flatly said "i wont change my facebook" it would be one thing. But he is the one who said he wanted to be bf/gf and he is the one who said he would do something and didn't.

I re-edited it before you re-posted. Man, you just can never win with women. :p

First you said gay men. Now you say gay women. And I wasn't referring to the STD comments. I was referring to saying that promiscuity is "the norm" in homosexual relationships. :rolleyes:

Ok, I believe what I said was not inherently homophobic. But, the term "normal" is offensive because as Bethenny Frankel said: there is no normal. It was homophobic to say "this is the norm for them" though I stand by saying promiscuity is more common in gay culture which indicates men are more prone to casual sex with lots of partners. What I said was indicative of something about ALL MEN not just gay men.

I give up....this is getting so ridiculous.

OP, you are overanalyzing this terribly. Just because a guy doesn't want to commit, and realizes me may not like you as much as he initially thought he did, doesn't mean he is some sort of he-***** who only wants sex. If you are this crazy about picking people apart, I bet facets of this aspect of your personality snuck through and he realized that he would constantly have to be walking on eggshells around you.

getting --> [already is]

giving advice --> [listen and agree]

Who needs jersey shore when this thread is so good ? I nominate for most epic thread of the year. :thumbup:

I have to study my ass off, but this is soooo good, its addicting.

Hi I met a guy on a dating website who is doing residency. We went on a handful of dates. At first he seemed to really like me and was texting me everyday. This lasted for about six weeks. I often would tell him he was just trying to get laid and only pretending to date me. Because of this I planned to not sleep with him until we were in a serious relationship. Obviously this never happened. After texting me everyday for 2 months and calling a few times a week we got into a fight on text message. He agreed to delete his dating profile to try to convince me we were bfgf. When he did not delete his dating profile I was pissed and called him on it. He said I had flaws. I said it was fine if he didn't delete his profile because no girls wanted to meet him anyway and anyone that did would be looking for marriage. I also plainly told him I would never sleep with him unless we were in a LTR.

After this he stopped texting me (which was about 1 and a half weeks ago). So what happened? Do you think he did just want to get laid and when I made it clear it wasn't going to happen he moved on? He claimed that his feelings for me were getting too intense so he pulled back.. Is it possible he is just pissed after our text message fight?

Isn't it obvious? You acted like a b****. If someone said that crap to me, *especially* in a new relationship, I would leave their ass.

This is the best advice on this thread:

If some guy told me during the honeymoon period that I was just looking to get laid/get paid/free meal and pretending to date him, I'd be pretty annoyed and offended. Why would I waste my time with someone who never even gave me a chance in the first place?

You came across as insecure and needy, because you feel the need to demonstrate to the entire world that you're in a relationship.

So WHAT if he doesn't put on Facebook that you're his girlfriend??? Who the eff cares?? It's FACEBOOK! Do you really NEED so much overt declaration to the world of exclusivity in order to feel secure?

And I also would be hesitant to delete my profile after only dating someone for a month or so, because you never know when they will bail early. It is very possible to be in a committed relationship, but also be mindful that it is very new, and keep it up just so you don't have to make it all over again. So he didn't delete it immediately. Who cares. A normal person would have said all right, well, I understand, since we are quite new; but if we are going to be bf/gf, just don't answer messages. And you need to trust them on that. But you threw a huge hissy fit, like it was your hubby that had cheated on you.

:smack:

So far we have been alluded to the wisdom of... the Millionaire Matchmaker, Jersey Shore, and a "real" housewife. You really know how to pick your role models OP!

He definitely wanted to get laid. That's how those dating websites work.

Or... you know... people meet on those websites and have long term relationships. Maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Any more personal attacks in this thread and it will be shut down. You can disagree with the op in a civil way or do not post. Calling her a mean or derogatory name or otherwise personally attacking her character will not be tolerated.

Or... you know... people meet on those websites and have long term relationships. Maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Agreed. I dated two men for two years each that I initially met on a dating site. There are creepers to be sure, but there are also young professionals that simply don't have the time to be as socially active as they would like.

I'm not a poor pre med I am an MA student in the humanities. Also, if I wanted his money (which he had none of because he's 200k in debt) he never took me on fancy dates or bought me presents. A resident makes 40-50 k a year and is hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. He's WAY poorer than I am.

I didn't withhold physical intimacy. Our relationship was v physical which is probably why he thought we'd sleep together at some point. He is the one who brought up commitment. Not me. He said he wanted to be bf/gf. Since actions speak louder then words I said he should change his facebook status. He said that he would and then didn't. So he lied.

In your mind, there's no way he could think you are using him, since he is the one who has six-figure debt and is making only 50,000 a year. Who is he to possibly think you have other motives? But perhaps in his mind, "masters in humanities" translates as future barista at starbucks (again, not saying this is fair of him), while he sees himself as someone earning 6 figures in a prestigious profession in just a few years. To quote Seinfeld, "I always knew that after I became a doctor, I would dump whoever I was with and find someone better. That's the dream of becoming a doctor"

Therefore, in his mind, you are trying to get a long term commitment from a doctor, for your own personal prestige and future financial security. Perhaps, he thinks you are of the feminist type who uses sex as leverage to get what you want, but in his mind, sex is NOT a commodity that you own, nor is it some kind of reward for him doing what you ask. Relationships don't start because you demand he change his facebook status and remove his profile after 4 casual dates, a series of text messages, and a no-sex blue-balls sleepover (likely the final straw lol), but rather they naturally progress in that direction if things are going well. Sounds like you two have different views of relationships. Best of luck with your long-term relationship goals in 2011 OP.

edit: this post is not meant to be a personal attack on OPs character, but how her "bf" views the situation (i.e. do not close epic thread).

Last edited:
If he said "No, I don't feel comfortable doing that" It would be fine. But, he agreed to do something and then didn't. Which is a huge problem.

Are you so used to sneaky academic tactics that you do not see how his behavior was ****ty and reprehensible?
Overreact much :laugh: ZOMG you didn't change your FB status after 4 dates with me.....it's OVA :rolleyes:

Funny how he's no longer chasing you, according to your words, yet you're the one posting on SDN harping about it :rolleyes:

Ok are you dense or just choosing not to listen. HE LIED! HE said he wanted to be bf/gf. I said if he wanted commitment he should delete his profile and change his fb. HE AGREED AND THEN DIDN'T - SO HE LIED. I didn't pressure him, but I was pissed that he lied. He told me what I wanted to hear and then did what he wanted.

Who's the liar? You don't even know the title of your own thread :rolleyes:

i was dating a medical resident but i think he dumped me

In your mind, there's no way he could think you are using him, since he is the one who has six-figure debt and is making only 50,000 a year. Who is he to possibly think you have other motives? But perhaps in his mind, "masters in humanities" translates as future barista at starbucks (again, not saying this is fair of him), while he sees himself as someone earning 6 figures in a prestigious profession in just a few years. To quote Seinfeld, "I always knew that after I became a doctor, I would dump whoever I was with and find someone better. That's the dream of becoming a doctor"

Therefore, in his mind, you are trying to get a long term commitment from a doctor, for your own personal prestige and future financial security. Perhaps, he thinks you are of the feminist type who uses sex as leverage to get what you want, but in his mind, sex is NOT a commodity that you own, nor is it some kind of reward for him doing what you ask. Relationships don't start because you demand he change his facebook status and remove his profile after 4 casual dates, a series of text messages, and a no-sex blue-balls sleepover (likely the final straw lol), but rather they naturally progress in that direction if things are going well. Sounds like you two have different views of relationships. Best of luck with your long-term relationship goals in 2011 OP.

edit: this post is not meant to be a personal attack on OPs character, but how her "bf" views the situation (i.e. do not close epic thread).

If I were a gold digger why not date a doctor who actually has NON-HYPOTHETICAL money and power. Huh genius? Right I forgot gold diggers love to **** around with unimportant little bitch medical residents who get yelled at by nurses from the west indies all day long because they have no balls with which to stand up for themselves.

Also, english professors make 50 - 200 k a year and don't have any debt from their graduate education.

Who's the liar? You don't even know the title of your own thread :rolleyes:

Do you not see how lying and ignorance are two different things. You should save some of these come backs for when one of the black female nurses who you are scared of yells at you at work tomorrow rich white boy. Maybe you can call mommy and daddy and ask them for help ?

Do you not see how lying and ignorance are two different things. You should save some of these come backs for when one of the black female nurses who you are scared of yells at you at work tomorrow rich white boy. Maybe you can call mommy and daddy and ask them for help ?
Be a bigot much? You need to a see doctor for your mental condition. Oh wait, he dumped you :laugh:

If I were a gold digger why not date a doctor who actually has NON-HYPOTHETICAL money and power. Huh genius? Right I forgot gold diggers love to **** around with unimportant little bitch medical residents who get yelled at by nurses from the west indies all day long because they have no balls with which to stand up for themselves.

Also, english professors make 50 - 200 k a year and don't have any debt from their graduate education.

With an MA degree ? Yeah right. The school I went to, to be a professor even assistant one, you had to be a Ph.D, at most you could teach would be commubity college. :rolleyes: Plus, that's why you are a pre-med right ? Because of the high earning potential of english professors ? :laugh: Because it makes sense to forgo the next 10 years ( 3 years of taking
electives since you sound like you are a total humanity person with no science eduation whatsoever + 4 years of medical school + god knows how many years of residency) of earnings to pursue medical school ? In other words, willingly giving up 2M$ worth of earnings ? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Dude, tell this to someone else, there is a reason why humanities are some of the easiest majors around and the most statistically pursued ( psychology is the most common college major) yet some of the hardest ones to find a stable job with because the earning potential sucks ass.

I'm so insulted at being called rich :laugh:

I am suprised you are also not insulted at being called a man, I remember from the pics you posted years ago what a hot piece of man meat you are ! A typical rich white boy ! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.