What can you do with a biology degree if you're not going to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm back. Well, I did it. I'm working on commissioning with the Marines actually. But my parents have no idea. They think I'm applying to med school. The OSO said I should be headed to board the summer I graduate. But once I tell them, they'll be devastated. Should I just wait until the last minute? I even changed my major to graduate faster for OTS, they don't know that either. I'm trying to find a way to word it but I can't think of it.
Tell them that you're shipping off to the front lines in Iraq... then while they're in the shock of that, tell them that you're really going to officers school and they'll be relieved.
Door-in-the-face technique - Wikipedia

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I'm back. Well, I did it. I'm working on commissioning with the Marines actually. But my parents have no idea. They think I'm applying to med school. The OSO said I should be headed to board the summer I graduate. But once I tell them, they'll be devastated. Should I just wait until the last minute? I even changed my major to graduate faster for OTS, they don't know that either. I'm trying to find a way to word it but I can't think of it.

Congratulations! I hope this is a good path for you!

You can tell your parents whatever you want. You're an adult. I know it's hard though. I would tell them sooner rather than later, because lying to parents sucks, but you don't have to.

Reactions: 1 user
My honest opinion is that you should wait to tell your parents, but you should tell them the truth when you do.

This comes under the assumption that your parents are supporting you (partially or fully) for college and, as you have expressed, are hell-bent on you becoming a physician. If the semester you are in now is not your final semester, it's feasible to think your parents may pull their financial support before you finish college if they were to find out you are not going on the path they wanted you to follow.

I've seen this happen to some of my friends and it sucks.

I think you should graduate and then tell your parents.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lie. When they ask about medical school, tell them you are not applying right now. As it gets closer to graduation, let them know you have plans after graduation, and you will tell them after the stress of class and graduation is over. Be adult about it.

Own up to your mistakes and tell your parents. It'll save a lot of heartbreak and stress on both ends... trust me, I've been there.

Reactions: 1 user
If you apply to my school, auto-accept from me!!!

OP, off the top of my head:
lab tech (clinical or research)
vet tech
teaching
scientific writing
quality control
allied health sciences (PR, RT, for example)
As an ex-vet tech and current teacher, I can vouch for those two options. Many many animal hospitals do not require the actual certification for you to be a vet tech. As for teaching, you will have to pass a few content area exams with a C or better, so if you feel you can manage that, I'd strongly recommend it. There are a number of loan forgiveness programs that are offered for STEM teachers.