RN to MD/DO route with international BSN degree, if anyone has done it could you share the process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dani Cawai

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if my chances of getting accepted into med school are higher if I went to a CC or a university for the prereqs/premed? I plan to work while studying for the prereqs/premed, how should I maintain my GPA? Given my situation (w/ international degree from the PH) would you recommend DIY or formal pre med? Any other things to consider?

Please thank you!

Background: I work at a hospital in Chicago and would like to move and study there this year

Members don't see this ad.

Start by purchasing access to Medical School Admission Requirements™ (MSAR®) for Applicants available from AAMC.org

You will get a better idea of the schools that will accept CC credits and how many credits you'll need to earn in the US to qualify for admission to a medical school in the US.

In essence, you are likely to need the equivalent of 3 years of full-time college attendance to qualify for admission. Unfortunately, your education done abroad is not factored into the application process at all.

Given the time, cost and competition, you may want to give serious consideration as to whether you can provide the clinical services that interest you by pursuing a career as an advance practice nurse (nurse practitioner, nurse-midwife, nurse anesthetist).

Reactions: 1 users
Start by purchasing access to Medical School Admission Requirements™ (MSAR®) for Applicants available from AAMC.org

You will get a better idea of the schools that will accept CC credits and how many credits you'll need to earn in the US to qualify for admission to a medical school in the US.

In essence, you are likely to need the equivalent of 3 years of full-time college attendance to qualify for admission. Unfortunately, your education done abroad is not factored into the application process at all.

Given the time, cost and competition, you may want to give serious consideration as to whether you can provide the clinical services that interest you by pursuing a career as an advance practice nurse (nurse practitioner, nurse-midwife, nurse anesthetist).

Thank you for the insight!

If I may suggest Madam Speaker @LizzyM, that there are some US medical schools that may only require 1 or 2 full years of US UG work for those with foreign degrees. For example Einstein has done so but I do notice they currently have a moratorium on this. As you have so accurately suggested it behooves the potential applicant to get a subscription to the MSAR and see what schools will even accept an non USA/Canadian degree.

And I now yield the floor
You’re right! I know some med schools in my state require at least one year of coursework here in the USA and also accept CC credits but recommend upper coursework in a 4-yr degree granting university. I guess I’m asking for more inputs and just to see if there’s anyone that has done the same that could give me hope or assurance 😅

The best hope and assurance would be to plan for at least 60 to 90 credits across both a CC and a 4 year school. It is difficult for a 4 year college student with USA degree to be accepted so you would have, I am sure, more difficulty as well. This is not to say it cant be done. But I want to make sure that all students, especially those nontraditional, problematic, and atypical applicants see things with their eyes open.

Rule one: take a breath
I know it’s not gonna be an easy path, am scared but I still try to be optimistic 😅 I really appreciate the encouragement 🙏 I’ll probably start my registration with lower level cw next week