What can you do with a biology degree if you're not going to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jorge921995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I have a bad GPA of 2.35. And I failed every class last semester. Literally. So I'm at a point with three paths. 1) continue and graduate with a bio degree and hope for a job. 2) continue and graduate with a bio degree and join the Air Force as an officer. Or 3) Stop college now, my senior year, I think, and enlist in the Air Force and go for air traffic control. I was going to go to med school, but that's obviously out of the picture. And I if I continue with a bio degree after college, what can I do with it besides joining the Air Force? I don't want a job where I'm in a lab earning barely more than minimum wage and I don't want more debt! What do?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're truly doing that terrible, it just shows a lack of maturity tbh. If you really are committed to serving your country, I say you go to the Air Force and look for that maturity, discipline, etc. you desperately need. Afterwards, medicine will still be here, apply yourself the second time around and do BETTER. Wish you the best.

Reactions: 5 users
If you're truly doing that terrible, it just shows a lack of maturity tbh. If you really are committed to serving your country, I say you go to the Air Force and look for that maturity, discipline, etc. you desperately need. Afterwards, medicine will still be here, apply yourself the second time around and do BETTER. Wish you the best.
You really think I can get a second chance after a hell of a muck up?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate, identify what you could have done better and do a DIY Postbacc while working. Reinvent yourself and show medical schools that you can handle it.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
You really think I can get a second chance after a hell of a muck up?
This country was built on second chances man. You're young. If serving is something you truly want to do go do it. Like I said, medicine isn't going anywhere. When you finish you'll have a GI bill to help you with paying tuition and you'll be much more mature. If you want to become a doctor, you can make it happen, military is the best thing that ever happened to me. In high school I never struggled but I wasn't the smartest guy either - the military gave me the discipline I so desperately needed. When I came back to school I routinely did better then "smarter" kids because I was disciplined in my studies, I was mature, I knew what I wanted and I wasn't going to let anybody, especially not myself, get in the way of my studies. So yes I do believe you can still get in someday no matter how bad you've messed up at this point. Only thing I do suggest though is that if you join, try to do something medicine related, it will help you tons in the long run.

EDIT: my opinion is just based on personal experiences, n=1

Reactions: 10 users
If you are a senior make sure you graduate now no matter what else you decide to do. Don't worry if you don't know exactly what you will do after the degree. That part of the equation is a no brainer. If you stop now life may take you down a path where you regret forever not finishing one year.
A bio degree is still a college degree. It may keep you on a higher plane for the next 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Whatever you do, do NOT trade the officer life for enlisted. Period. Opportunity cost/lifestyle difference is astronomical. Seriously, don't.

-former enlisted US marine infantryman

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
Why air traffic control in the military? Medic jobs exist in the military, and you could gain great experience in this role. However, if you want to leave medicine, air traffic control requires great control under stressful situations. Do you have that?

Why air traffic control in the military? Medic jobs exist in the military, and you could gain great experience in this role. However, if you want to leave medicine, air traffic control requires great control under stressful situations. Do you have that?
AC gets 100k. So if all else fails...

You can do some stuff with a bio degree, becoming a lab monkey, research coordinator, medical device sales, work for non profits aimed at ecological conservation, work for a zoo. Lots of things. But there are hardly any jobs out there that REQUIRE a bio degree.
I would graduate and get in as an officer if you are interested in serving your country in that capacity.
Most private employers do not care what your GPA is most of them do care that you have a piece of paper, so it is in your best interest to graduate.

Reactions: 3 users
AC gets 100k. So if all else fails...

I have a friend in the Army and he said ATC is one of the harder MOS. He said a lot of people drop out of it into like air maintenance. Or something to that effect, I'm not sure on his exact wording but he said it was challenging.

You might as well graduate because the bachelor degree will at least convert itself into a better job or at least better starting salary than a high school diploma.

Your only chance back into medicine is the Carribeans.

Alright, so I have a bad GPA of 2.35. And I failed every class last semester. Literally. So I'm at a point with three paths. 1) continue and graduate with a bio degree and hope for a job. 2) continue and graduate with a bio degree and join the Air Force as an officer. Or 3) Stop college now, my senior year, I think, and enlist in the Air Force and go for air traffic control. I was going to go to med school, but that's obviously out of the picture. And I if I continue with a bio degree after college, what can I do with it besides joining the Air Force? I don't want a job where I'm in a lab earning barely more than minimum wage and I don't want more debt! What do?!

I probably missed something but why are you continuing with your biology degree? Personally, I would've dropped that major and switched into economics/finance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I probably missed something but why are you continuing with your biology degree? Personally, I would've dropped that major and switched into economics/finance.
This advice is gold.

I considered it but my parents didn't let me. Now it's too late. I've dropped so many classes I'm about to exceed the credit limit and am financially liable for that. So if I change my major it'd be worse.

You can do plenty of things with a biology degree! Of the people I know who graduated with a biology degree, most of them went into some type of graduate school (healthcare or Ph.D) but I definitely know people who went right into the workforce. A decent amount are working for Epic, I know a couple working for smaller biotech companies, I know one who brews beer professionally, I know one who has some kind of consulting job, etc. I don't know much about the military route but that sounds like a perfectly good idea as well.

You can always take Post-bac classes to boost your gpa, tutor, teach, research, HR, I can keep going. Your degree will not determine your future. I know people who have studied history and learned how to code to work for google. Keep moving forward!!

If you are a senior make sure you graduate now no matter what else you decide to do. Don't worry if you don't know exactly what you will do after the degree. That part of the equation is a no brainer. If you stop now life may take you down a path where you regret forever not finishing one year.
A bio degree is still a college degree. It may keep you on a higher plane for the next 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Too expensive

Degree holders earn a million more in lifetime earnings.it would be too expensive not to complete a degree.
It's not just tuition. Florida has this stupid law that's supposed to encourage faster graduation. In which if you surpass 120 credits, like me, you have to pay 150% tuition rate per credit. So I think next semester I'm going to have to lie to my parents and say I'm going to my school. Earn some money at work. And focus on working out to lose the weight for the Air Force.

It's not just tuition. Florida has this stupid law that's supposed to encourage faster graduation. In which if you surpass 120 credits, like me, you have to pay 150% tuition rate per credit. So I think next semester I'm going to have to lie to my parents and say I'm going to my school. Earn some money at work. And focus on working out to lose the weight for the Air Force.
Whatever you do, don't lie to your parents. Own up to your mistakes, it's how you learn from them.

Reactions: 6 users
Graduate, and get a job.

Is it too late to do ROTC? If you want to join the military anyways, why not get paid to finish however long you have left and go for free? I have no idea how ROTC works so I don't even know if that's a viable plan. I just have a friend in AF ROTC who doesn't have to work because he gets paid and goes to college for free. Plus officers make way more money than enlisted.

7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

Finish the degree, go to AF or Army. If not the service, get into the Career Center, get internships and find a job after you graduate.

You won't get into the Caribbean with that GPA unless you want to go to a school with minimal accreditation.

My advice is to get the degree and then focus on what you want to do next.

With the 2.35, do you really want to be directing air traffic?

You won't get into the Caribbean with that GPA unless you want to go to a school with minimal accreditation.

My advice is to get the degree and then focus on what you want to do next.

With the 2.35, do you really want to be directing air traffic?
Apples and oranges. Just because I ended up sucking at bio, it'll mean I suck at doing a real job? I tend to learn more from technical work rather than from stuff I'll never be able to apply in my own life.

Is it too late to do ROTC? If you want to join the military anyways, why not get paid to finish however long you have left and go for free? I have no idea how ROTC works so I don't even know if that's a viable plan. I just have a friend in AF ROTC who doesn't have to work because he gets paid and goes to college for free. Plus officers make way more money than enlisted.
Yes it is.

Yes it is.

I think if you can go active duty ROTC then try for it. However, talk to them first. Because last I heard going active duty is not as easy as it used to be. Now I guess it is pretty competitive because the Army is "downsizing". Here is a video for reference of some guy. He might have some other videos that help you too, talking in general about OCS. He was also a STEM major as well.

Good luck

If you don't do military, try medical technology. With a BS in biology, you do a one year internship at a hospital learning hematology, clinical biochemistry, immunology, serology, blood banking, clinical microbiology, and parasitology. Though with your low GPA, it may be difficult to gain an internship since most of them require a minimum GPA. Research some schools in your area if you're interested. Medical technologists (MT) can start making $50 - 60k after you take a national certification exam, much like what the RNs take. Your salary depends on what state you live in. If that doesn't cut it, most community colleges have a program for medical lab technicians (MLT) where you don't make as much but still learn the same material. Depending on the state you reside, the scope of what your permitted to do is limited. There is a huge shortage of medical technologists and technicians so finding a job wouldn't be too difficult. PM me if you want more information.

As far as military goes, I know how the Air Force works. You won't be making that 100k if you enlist. Since you have >60 credits, you'll enlist as an E3 (Airman First Class) and probably net somewhere in the $21 - 23k/year. In the military, you're only get paid twice a month, usually on the 1st and 15th of every month. You'll go to basic training, tech school for air traffic control (I think it's at Keesler AFB in Mississippi) and PCS (permanent change of station) to wherever the air force decides they need you (you can rank where you want to go but you may not get your 1st choice). You'll get paid while at basic training and tech school. If you're interested in special operations, you can become a combat controller which is air traffic controller but special operations (very very very tough course, very high attrition rate). I'm not too certain about what kind of job you can do when you commission with your degree. You'll have to talk to a recruiter and view airforce.com for all the jobs that are available to you. You'll go to officer candidate school and will commission as a 2nd lieutenant. As far as after that, the recruiter can help you with that. Those medical technology and technician jobs are also available as well, except as an officer you're called a biomedical laboratory officer. If you're interested in special operations and can endure 2 years of intense training, you can try combat rescue officer (CRO) and work with pararescue jumpers (PJ). There's also special tactics officer (STO) where you'll work with combat controllers. PM me if you need help understanding any of this information or find something you're interested in and I'll try my best to help.

Sorry for making this so long.

Well, well, well, Aformermedstudent got hit by the banhammer! I'm saying it for Goro since he's not here - Very satisfying smack, that banhammer.

Dude. Not cool.

I thought it was funny. I wasn't referring to his GPA. Just having a bio degree and not going to med school. They can't all be funny.

I thought it was funny. I wasn't referring to his GPA. Just having a bio degree and not going to med school. They can't all be funny.
Well yeah, that's actually terrifying. You spend all this time and money on a very minimally useful degree and now you can't go to med school? I didn't think it was that serious it just seemed a little out of place for you.
OP, what about PA school, have you thought of that?
Other than that I don't what to say

Well yeah, that's actually terrifying. You spend all this time and money on a very minimally useful degree and now you can't go to med school? I didn't think it was that serious it just seemed a little out of place for you.
OP, what about PA school, have you thought of that?
Other than that I don't what to say

That was actually pretty tame. We have pretty savage senses of humor in the military.

There's PA school, law school, or, if you don't mind graduating late, you can just change majors. Not graduating in 4 years is not, *gasp*, the end of the world.

Reactions: 4 users
That was actually pretty tame. We have pretty savage senses of humor in the military.

There's PA school, law school, or, if you don't mind graduating late, you can just change majors. Not graduating in 4 years is not, *gasp*, the end of the world.
It's just I don't want anything in the medical field. I'm 21. I want to join the Air Force not just for a job but

Thanks guys, for the input. But I've done some thinking. I'm realizing I'm just not cut out for college. The only reason I had a 3.5 GPA in high school was begging the teachers to change it and I successfully did so. That's the only reason I got in. I honestly feel like I'm wasting my time and youth taking things like philosophy and art history. Like, why ? So I've made my decision. I'm going straight to the Air Force. That way when I get out, if Trump hasn't messed with the FAA, I'll go straight to work.

Well, well, well, Aformermedstudent got hit by the banhammer! I'm saying it for Goro since he's not here - Very satisfying smack, that banhammer.

Dude. Not cool.
If you apply to my school, auto-accept from me!!!

OP, off the top of my head:
lab tech (clinical or research)
vet tech
teaching
scientific writing
quality control
allied health sciences (PR, RT, for example)

If you don't do military, try medical technology. With a BS in biology, you do a one year internship at a hospital learning hematology, clinical biochemistry, immunology, serology, blood banking, clinical microbiology, and parasitology. Though with your low GPA, it may be difficult to gain an internship since most of them require a minimum GPA. Research some schools in your area if you're interested. Medical technologists (MT) can start making $50 - 60k after you take a national certification exam, much like what the RNs take. Your salary depends on what state you live in. If that doesn't cut it, most community colleges have a program for medical lab technicians (MLT) where you don't make as much but still learn the same material. Depending on the state you reside, the scope of what your permitted to do is limited. There is a huge shortage of medical technologists and technicians so finding a job wouldn't be too difficult. PM me if you want more information.

While I agree that Medical Lab Science is a great field, someone with that gpa isn't anywhere nearing making the cut for any of the programs I'm familiar with. I did a bio degree first then went back to do the MLS and it was harder than my bio degree. Good option for some but probably not the OP.

He sounds like someone who might be a good fit for hands on technical work. I bet the airforce can help him find a good role.

If there's any way for you to finish, student loans, etc, I'd try to get that bachelors

You asked the same question last year. What can you do with a bio degree if you're not going to med school anymore?

It sounds like finishing school now is out. My suggestions - take them or leave them.

Select Plan B (joining armed forces, get job) that is a stepping-stone job that has a career path. Then work really hard and after you have started working, sit down and map out next steps. Keep your eyes and ears open. That could mean progressing in the company, taking training classes through the company or on your own, leveraging the experience to get a better job. I recommend a book "The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success" by Nicholas Lore which will help you find a career that fits you. Just because you have a low GPA does not mean you can't be successful - even wildly successful - in the working world.

Eventually, if you decide to, you can finish your degree. I've seen many students re-invigorate their college career after working for a time. Working and maturing help students develop determination.

Once you've been working for a while, you may want to investigate degree completion programs such as those through Western Governors University or American Public University. It is unlikely that you could get a biology degree that way (lab classes are hard to complete online but not impossible) and this route rules out medical school normally but it is a viable route to an accredited college degree. Some employers pay tuition.

If you work for a while and feel that you can't let go of the med school dream, take classes at night and then enter SMP or post-bacc program to take another run at medical school. Look at the Non-traditional Forum thread - there are tons of successful applicants to med school that are 30, 35 or older. You are very very young. Best wishes.

I wanted to be a doctor. I was doing a bio degree. I failed out hard. Three times. I joined the Air Force. Granted, I wouldn't ever do it differently because this job has given me so much maturity and perspective, but in the end, I still wanted to be a doctor. Five years later and I am just starting to work towards my B.S. again and I still have to serve 2-3 more years.

So yes, invaluable. But at the same time, it really just delayed what I knew I already wanted to do.

Also, ATC is a very difficult job with an high suicide rate. Don't go into it for the bonus. It's heavily taxed anyway, and then you make crap enlisted pay for years after that. LOTS of other jobs have bonuses. My job did.

An alternative would be doing an enlisted medical job, but they are very in-demand and chances of getting one are low. Our enlisted medical guys mostly take vitals at the hospital and enter appointments.

You can ALWAYS get another chance at a CC or even some other college that might take you. Only you can decide if you want that to be in a year or so, or however long it takes before the military lets you start taking classes again (it took me 3+ years after I joined to be allowed to/have the schedule to start up again.)

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks guys, for the input. But I've done some thinking. I'm realizing I'm just not cut out for college. The only reason I had a 3.5 GPA in high school was begging the teachers to change it and I successfully did so. That's the only reason I got in. I honestly feel like I'm wasting my time and youth taking things like philosophy and art history. Like, why ? So I've made my decision. I'm going straight to the Air Force. That way when I get out, if Trump hasn't messed with the FAA, I'll go straight to work.

It doesn't sound like you're mentally prepared to take on medical school applications. That isn't due to a lack of your abilities but just from the motivation vibes I'm getting from your posts. It also sounds like your parents did a lot of your decision making to stay in biology, which is unfortunate because 100% of parents think their kids in biology will be the 10% that actually end up doing medicine. Do your thing don't listen to mom and dad. One nasty fight with them is nothing compared to the rest of your life.

I wanted to be a doctor. I was doing a bio degree. I failed out hard. Three times. I joined the Air Force. Granted, I wouldn't ever do it differently because this job has given me so much maturity and perspective, but in the end, I still wanted to be a doctor. Five years later and I am just starting to work towards my B.S. again and I still have to serve 2-3 more years.

So yes, invaluable. But at the same time, it really just delayed what I knew I already wanted to do.

Also, ATC is a very difficult job with an high suicide rate. Don't go into it for the bonus. It's heavily taxed anyway, and then you make crap enlisted pay for years after that. LOTS of other jobs have bonuses. My job did.

An alternative would be doing an enlisted medical job, but they are very in-demand and chances of getting one are low. Our enlisted medical guys mostly take vitals at the hospital and enter appointments.

You can ALWAYS get another chance at a CC or even some other college that might take you. Only you can decide if you want that to be in a year or so, or however long it takes before the military lets you start taking classes again (it took me 3+ years after I joined to be allowed to/have the schedule to start up again.)

The Navy lets you start a lot sooner. I started 18 months after I shipped to boot camp. It was difficult being in an operational command and going to school, but operational in the Navy means being underway a lot. Hard to go to class when you're in the middle of the ocean.

remember folks, it is not your degree that gets you a job, it is your experience.

You can work as a science tutor. You can do this on your own or through a company.

Pharmaceutical Industry.
You can get QA/QC lab tech type of jobs and work your way up.

Hey guys, I'm back. Well, I did it. I'm working on commissioning with the Marines actually. But my parents have no idea. They think I'm applying to med school. The OSO said I should be headed to board the summer I graduate. But once I tell them, they'll be devastated. Should I just wait until the last minute? I even changed my major to graduate faster for OTS, they don't know that either. I'm trying to find a way to word it but I can't think of it.

Hey guys, I'm back. Well, I did it. I'm working on commissioning with the Marines actually. But my parents have no idea. They think I'm applying to med school. The OSO said I should be headed to board the summer I graduate. But once I tell them, they'll be devastated. Should I just wait until the last minute? I even changed my major to graduate faster for OTS, they don't know that either. I'm trying to find a way to word it but I can't think of it.
yeah just wait till the last minute , they'll get over it by the time you see them again.