Apply upcoming cycle or take another gap year? How do you know when you’re ready to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niv777

Reaction score
Basically the question above. Should I apply for 2025 cycle or take another year off to apply for 2026 cycle?

I graduated spring 2023. For stats rn I have a 3.9 cgpa, ~150 nonclinical, 35 hrs shadowing, got a scribe job this august, (+ recently started hospice volunteering), and 200+ research hrs in a neuropsych lab. i didn’t think of applying to med school until my senior year hence the 0 clinical hrs upon graduation. Planning on taking the mcat in January to apply for 2025 cycle.

My advisor encourages me to apply 2025 cycle (if I do well with the mcat) but if I’m being super honest with myself, I’m not ready. Or not sure if it’s ample time from now til 2025 cycle to be competitive. I feel like I’d be putting together a sloppy app for that cycle trying to juggle everything. Or maybe it’s doable, to apply and have a lot going on at the same time? I’m thinking that if I take another gap year and apply 2026 cycle (would have 3 gap years in total by then), I feel like I’d be in a better spot time wise and financially: I have ample time to study for the mcat, work, explore other passions outside med, ample time to write a good app, travel, etc.

But everyone (from parents to premed advisors) advise that I should apply soon and not “waste another year” since 3 years are too long of a gap but all I want to focus on rn is myself (ie learning how to better deal with my mental health, hobbies, clinical job, etc.). So I guess what im getting here is: how do you know when you’re ready to apply vs. take another year off? Or for those who applied recently or got in, how did you know when you were ready?

I’ve been all over the place recently I can’t think of a logical way to approach this so posting this here. im probably over my head/overthinking too much haha but thank you in advance. All advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Get in a good MCAT, 150+ hrs of non-clinical volunteering; 50ish hours of shadowing; and 150+ hrs of clinical exposure. I have a high regard for people who do hospice work!

Do not listen to your parents and allow them to sabotage this process. You apply when you're ready. You're not ready now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Basically the question above. Should I apply for 2025 cycle or take another year off to apply for 2026 cycle?

I graduated spring 2023. For stats rn I have a 3.9 cgpa, ~150 nonclinical, 35 hrs shadowing, got a scribe job this august, (+ recently started hospice volunteering), and 200+ research hrs in a neuropsych lab. i didn’t think of applying to med school until my senior year hence the 0 clinical hrs upon graduation. Planning on taking the mcat in January to apply for 2025 cycle.

My advisor encourages me to apply 2025 cycle (if I do well with the mcat) but if I’m being super honest with myself, I’m not ready. Or not sure if it’s ample time from now til 2025 cycle to be competitive. I feel like I’d be putting together a sloppy app for that cycle trying to juggle everything. Or maybe it’s doable, to apply and have a lot going on at the same time? I’m thinking that if I take another gap year and apply 2026 cycle (would have 3 gap years in total by then), I feel like I’d be in a better spot time wise and financially: I have ample time to study for the mcat, work, explore other passions outside med, ample time to write a good app, travel, etc.

But everyone (from parents to premed advisors) advise that I should apply soon and not “waste another year” since 3 years are too long of a gap but all I want to focus on rn is myself (ie learning how to better deal with my mental health, hobbies, clinical job, etc.). So I guess what im getting here is: how do you know when you’re ready to apply vs. take another year off? Or for those who applied recently or got in, how did you know when you were ready?

I’ve been all over the place recently I can’t think of a logical way to approach this so posting this here. im probably over my head/overthinking too much haha but thank you in advance. All advice is appreciated.
In terms of what you're doing and intend to do prior to next summer, you will be able to check the boxes. However, being ready is not just checking boxes. It's being mentally ready and committed to a difficult, time-consuming albeit ultimately rewarding path. You're not there. Don't start until you are there.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It sounds to me by just reading your post that you are not ready. “Learning how to deal with my mental health” is something that you should really focus on before taking MCAT and before applying to med schools because that can really take a mental toll on you. You know yourself best. Don’t allow someone to push you into doing something you are not ready to do.

• Love
You should apply when your application is the best it could be. When you feel as if your application, and your health, couldn't get any better, you've reached the point of diminishing returns and you should apply. Of course, during the application year, you should continue to be productive with the assumption that you will need to reapply until it becomes evident that you will not (because you have an offer!).

If you feel that your application would be so much better if you just had X, then take the time to acquire X, and apply in a later cycle.