What books do cardiology fellows read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenesmus83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like the MKSAP books and up to date are just not enough. Thanks for the response

Members don't see this ad.

I've never used MKSAP for Cardiology. Do you mean what books do fellow read for learning in general or studying for the board exam because it's completely different in a way. During fellowship, we read Grossman's for cath, Oh or Otto for echo, Braunwald for general cardiology questions. But I would say most of the learning is from fellow conferences, reading echos, ekgs, holters, caths, journal club, reading guidelines/journals, and the patient's themselves. Studying for boards, at least for me, was through a refresher, like the Mayo or ACC Board Review courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with JACO22. Can add Chou's EKG, Okeefe's EKGs, Fogero's EP testing, Morton KErn Cath lab handbook.
Will stress again...guidelines, guidelines, guidelines....you need to know the latest and keep up to date.

Probably depends on the fellowship you're in. I didn't get much out of reading books. I got more out of seeing patients, doing consults, reading echos/nucs/EKGs etc. And then reading the appropriate ACC/AHA guidelines or looking things up based on what I was seeing at that time. I actually found the ACC guidelines (the full ones, not the executive summaries) far more helpful than anything else. But if you're really attached to the idea of a book, your fellowship might give you access to lots of them through their online library or though cardiosource, so you might not want to spend lots of money until you clarify that. Drug reps have been known to buy books for fellows too.