What are you going to buy with your first real Doc paycheck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True, for most people the trades route is probably the best option available. But for the gifted young college student that has their pick of med school, a good law school, or getting hired into one of the big consulting firms? I think getting the MD and going after a high paying, decent lifestyle specialty is by far the safest route to retirement in early 50s, if that's the goal
So much work to acquire medical knowledge, all to retire at 53? I think I'll go till I'm 70 and instead spend more in my 30s and 40s. The time to live it up (without over doing it) is before you're 45 and the risk of health decline sets in.

All the physicians in and out of my family are wealthy and they unanimously said to buy whatever toy I want in my 30s and never to wait till later. It's very sound advice if you think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So much work to acquire medical knowledge, all to retire at 53? I think I'll go till I'm 70 and instead spend more in my 30s and 40s. The time to live it up (without over doing it) is before you're 45 and the risk of health decline sets in.

All the physicians in and out of my family are wealthy and they unanimously said to buy whatever toy I want in my 30s and never to wait till later. It's very sound advice if you think about it.
I guess it depends how much you dislike working/enjoy leisure time. Personally, I think I'd rather save up and switch to part-time working ASAP and have tons of free time. Overall, working 3 days/week and driving a used Toyota Avalon sounds a lot better than working full time because I bought expensive toys like sports cars or boats

Reactions: 5 users
True, for most people the trades route is probably the best option available. But for the gifted young college student that has their pick of med school, a good law school, or getting hired into one of the big consulting firms? I think getting the MD and going after a high paying, decent lifestyle specialty is by far the safest route to retirement in early 50s, if that's the goal
The safest is probably living an austere FIRE lifestyle, but if you want to live more comfortably it is a good route

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends how much you dislike working/enjoy leisure time. Personally, I think I'd rather save up and switch to part-time working ASAP and have tons of free time. Overall, working 3 days/week and driving a used Toyota Avalon sounds a lot better than working full time because I bought expensive toys like sports cars or boats
Yes it's all about how much you enjoy work and how important toys/luxurious items are to you. But it's an objectively valid point that age matter. Deferring enjoyment of life for older age can be a big mistake given obvious health risks with age.

Yes it's all about how much you enjoy work and how important toys/luxurious items are to you. But it's an objectively valid point that age matter. Deferring enjoyment of life for older age can be a big mistake given obvious health risks with age.
I guess I fail to see how working a ton to afford your Ferrari lease that you can only drive a little each year constitutes enjoying life. But I guess folks can have all kinds of strange priorities. I enjoy the hell out of my free time with annual spending that is a small fraction of my income so that if a day comes where I don't enjoy my job I can walk away without a second thought. That is my strange priority. Though my high income combined with my spouse's along with the low cost of living for our area helps that a ton and I know not every doc has that benefit.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess I fail to see how working a ton to afford your Ferrari lease that you can only drive a little each year constitutes enjoying life. But I guess folks can have all kinds of strange priorities. I enjoy the hell out of my free time with annual spending that is a small fraction of my income so that if a day comes where I don't enjoy my job I can walk away without a second thought. That is my strange priority. Though my high income combined with my spouse's along with the low cost of living for our area helps that a ton and I know not every doc has that benefit.

Amen. My goal is to debt free by the time I graduate med school so I can start investing and saving.

Seems like the best kept secret is marrying another professional. Two doctors going for FIRE together and you'll be there within a decade

Reactions: 4 users
Amen. My goal is to debt free by the time I graduate med school so I can start investing and saving.
I think I am very lucky that my tastes don't tend to be extravagant. We vacation several times a year but each costs less than a super fancy trip would cost because we like sitting on the beach or snorkeling so it doesn't cost much to do that versus penthouse suites with butlers and daily spa visits that bothers might want. Though I did just splurge on a several thousand dollar massage chair which is a little extravagant (though much less than a fancy car would be and so far I have used my chair daily).

Seems like the best kept secret is marrying another professional. Two doctors going for FIRE together and you'll be there within a decade
My husband is a nurse who had minimal student loans when we married so that works pretty well too since his high five figure income kept loans for me low during med school and got us farther ahead in terms of retirement savings and paying down loans than we otherwise would have been. Plus the whole no kids thing really helps to minimize expenses.

I think I am very lucky that my tastes don't tend to be extravagant. We vacation several times a year but each costs less than a super fancy trip would cost because we like sitting on the beach or snorkeling so it doesn't cost much to do that versus penthouse suites with butlers and daily spa visits that bothers might want. Though I did just splurge on a several thousand dollar massage chair which is a little extravagant (though much less than a fancy car would be and so far I have used my chair daily).

Same. We plan on taking one vacation a year, but nothing crazy. We like to go places where we can go hiking or walking around on the beach.

The first thing I'm going to do is treat my entire family to a dinner at our favorite restaurant. After that, my dream is to not owe anything to anyone. I'm tired of debt and I'm tired of renting. I will start aggressively paying down my student loans and live like a medical student/resident for a few more years until that monkey is off my back. Then, I want a house that I own free and clear so that I can sleep soundly at night knowing that as long as I pay the property tax I will always have a place to live.

Reactions: 9 users
Top of the line road bike

Members don't see this ad :)
I reckon I’m going to start saving up for a trip somewhere overseas since I’ve never had the opportunity to visit Europe or Asia.

I'm going to invest, I've done almost everything else in life that's really worthwhile. Already bought dinner for my parents, already gone on exotic trips...not necessarily going to live like a student because how many students can afford to live in a city and have a social life w/o relying on mommy and daddy money? That's where the majority of my money will go, aside from investing. Don't want a fancy car, and I don't want kids, so yeah, just gonna live in a city, enjoy life, and watch the money pile up. Vacation every now and then, but hopefully I will live in a place where I won't necessarily feel the need to go flying all around the world all the time (I think I've found that place). Even better would be if I had a job that paid for me to travel so I can present at conferences, or owning a few practices and having other people make money for me lol...

Will probably start thinking about having kids in my 40s. Perhaps even 50s. One of my friends, her dad was in his 60s when he had her, he's old as **** now but hey, it works out for them. Her dad's a millionaire, and he's been a playboy his entire life. Perhaps not the most realistic role model haha

I might get a dog, too, I like dogs. I like animals in general.

Reactions: 1 users
Buy my fiance a really nice ring. When he proposed he got me a moissanite. Now that he makes that attending money, he got me Cartier. So I definitely wanna buy a nice band for him.

My first “real doc” paycheck arrived via direct deposit 3rd week of intern year. Don't recall what I spent it on. Probably blew my entire paycheck on a latte, pack of gum, an apple, bag of chips, 8 pack of toilet paper and $10 in quarters for laundry. I've toned it down since then.

• Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
Save to pay for education/sports etc. of progeny. Nothing has as much value as a human child with half your DNA :).

• Love
A hover board, by then they will be out and heavily discounted

I’m gonna hire a team of lawyers to force medical schools (especially mine) to disclose and explain their costs of tuition to both students and government. Start a movement to bring down grad school costs.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I'm from Senegal and its tradition to give your parents your first professional paycheck. So my entire first paycheck will go to them, as a way to say thank you. I don't mind because my parents have been very supportive of my decision to pursue medicine.

I'll still buy groceries and pay my rent though ;)

Reactions: 7 users
I'm from Senegal and its tradition to give your parents your first professional paycheck. So my entire first paycheck will go to them, as a way to say thank you. I don't mind because my parents have been very supportive of my decision to pursue medicine.

That is a nice tradition. I have probably given may parents the equivalent of several paychecks over the years I have been an attending. They were very supportive over the years financially and otherwise even though they didn't have a lot of money. So it seems right to help them out now

Reactions: 3 users
I’m gonna hire a team of lawyers to force medical schools (especially mine) to disclose and explain their costs of tuition to both students and government. Start a movement to bring down grad school costs.

If you’re still an MS-2, you might think you’ll always relate to medical students and their plight... give it some time and before you’re done with residency it’ll feel like an eternity ago and you’ll forget all about the struggle that is being a student. If you’re married and have a baby or two, you’ll be so preoccupied with that you’ll spend your first paycheck as an attending covering borrowed money for diapers and child care during residency lol.

My first “real doc” paycheck arrived via direct deposit 3rd week of intern year. Don't recall what I spent it on. Probably blew my entire paycheck on a latte, pack of gum, an apple, bag of chips, 8 pack of toilet paper and $10 in quarters for laundry. I've toned it down since then.

Yea you can tell all the lay people that you are already a “real doctor”. However, your first “real doctor paycheck” wasn’t intern year. Alas, after paying the “real doctor taxes” your first paycheck won’t buy you too much more anyways haha

• Dislike
I really want to do this.

Loans, investments, bills

I’m bumping this because I’m an attending now starting in August. After reading almost every post that wasn’t some diatribe, I’d ask that we keep it on topic and not about how people should save their money or how we should vote for certain parties, it’s about SPENDING your first check.

I’m gonna buy a Model Y. It’s 50k, I had saved 8k during the last year of residency (after wasting money on vacations during first and second year and before discovering Dave Ramsey and WCI). I’ve never owned my own car just hand me downs which have been great Toyota’s and I’m sure I can get a 20k dollar Lexus but I think I’m gonna make this one singular terribly expensive purchase.

I’m bumping this because I’m an attending now starting in August. After reading almost every post that wasn’t some diatribe, I’d ask that we keep it on topic and not about how people should save their money or how we should vote for certain parties, it’s about SPENDING your first check.

I’m gonna buy a Model Y. It’s 50k, I had saved 8k during the last year of residency (after wasting money on vacations during first and second year and before discovering Dave Ramsey and WCI). I’ve never owned my own car just hand me downs which have been great Toyota’s and I’m sure I can get a 20k dollar Lexus but I think I’m gonna make this one singular terribly expensive purchase.
Where the other 42k will come from? Most new attending got sign on bonus between 20-30k. Only one person I know got 50k.

It's going to be at least 7 years before I get that sweet, sweet attending pay; however, I'll probably have at least one child at this point. So I'd save a little for college/education/sports/etc. for him/her/them. My wife and I love weightlifting, so we'd invest in a home gym.

The rest is to be saved for buying a new house. And pay off debts (but that isn't the fun part of answering the question lol)

Where the other 42k will come from? Most new attending got sign on bonus between 20-30k. Only one person I know got 50k.
Probably going to finance it like many doctors do when they start making bank. If they are lucky that will be their one reckless financial move, but once you start down that path of extravagant purchases it becomes easy to continue.

It's going to be at least 7 years before I get that sweet, sweet attending pay; however, I'll probably have at least one child at this point. So I'd save a little for college/education/sports/etc. for him/her/them. My wife and I love weightlifting, so we'd invest in a home gym.

The rest is to be saved for buying a new house. And pay off debts (but that isn't the fun part of answering the question lol)
I’m with you on the home gym. Won’t break the bank even if you go pretty crazy with it, and the ROI re: general health isn’t really matched by anything else imo

I also agree with those stating that they’d rather drive a used car and work 3-4 days/week and live comfortably over pushing residency hours to grind off payments on a new boat or whatever.

I forget where I saw it, I think on the anesthesia forums, but went something like: 1 spouse, 1 house, 1 expensive hobby

Reactions: 2 users
I want to splurge on valentino rock stud shoes since everyone in my sorority has them lol sorry y'all

Personally, I am not super into *luxury*. I like buying/investing in things that are good quality, neat and enjoyable, but excess is off putting. For instance, I think it's worth paying for extra legroom on flights because I can't sit still but first class seems OTT unless its a transatlantic. I've been bumped up once or twice domestically and the way that they constantly push food and alcohol on you seems pro-obesity.

Anyway, I would like to help my parents with whatever they want, since they have supported me so much, and I think it would be fun to go on a trip to some of the harder to access Canadian national parks, like this one Nahanni National Park Reserve. Happiness does not come from stuff for me, I think it comes from being well mentally, physically, and socially and pursuing fulfilling things.

Probably going to finance it like many doctors do when they start making bank. If they are lucky that will be their one reckless financial move, but once you start down that path of extravagant purchases it becomes easy to continue.

Finance, pay it off in the same year with a couple moonlighting shifts. Rest of money is going to my investment plan (ie loans first).

Finance, pay it off in the same year with a couple moonlighting shifts. Rest of money is going to my investment plan (ie loans first).
Just be careful that taste doesn't pull you deeper into the financing good things habit. It is sort of like how it is easier to stay away from sweets until you start eating some. Then the cravings hit hard after.

Is anyone else terrified of m4a tanking our salaries

Is anyone else terrified of m4a tanking our salaries

A- probably won’t happen
B- if it happens it won’t be universal, just for those without insurance. ie a large chunk of the market will still be private insurance
C- nonetheless, get used to living on a small portion of your take home income so the worst case scenario is you’re not saving as much as you’d like or having to cut back on some luxury spending. Don’t assume anything and find yourself in a situation of having to sell your house.

A- probably won’t happen
B- if it happens it won’t be universal, just for those without insurance. ie a large chunk of the market will still be private insurance
C- nonetheless, get used to living on a small portion of your take home income so the worst case scenario is you’re not saving as much as you’d like or having to cut back on some luxury spending. Don’t assume anything and find yourself in a situation of having to sell your house.

All these politicians barking m4a everyday tho

Honestly probably dinner or something given the trend of doc salaries / general respect :/

Pay off loans. Save up for a downpayment on a home. Put away money for retirement. Save for kids' college.
Hard to think about what luxury item to spend on myself when I likely won't be in the black until late 30s and have others depending on my income. I also think it is important to make hay while we can because it's not a totally unreasonable outlook to assume that physician's salaries may not stay near this level. I'd much rather have my loans paid off than the albatross of a new $60k car or whatever.

No, ive had to make due with much less most of my life.

Yeah I mean, I could live off 35k but don’t rly want to tbh after 10 years of brutal work while seeing ppl major in comp sci and make 160 4 years out of college

Reactions: 3 users