What are the top 3 med schools in the Philippines as of "NOW"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm really considering MaDocs because of the proximity pero un nga, i've heard na marami daw nagquiquit..As I was told, PGI's role is not far from JI's in OMMC and it's more on paperworks, no procedures or seldom they're given. well sa bagay, pay patients lahat dun. Can you clarify poung 18-hr duty?so like may from status?or after the 18 hours, from status pa?this was not mentioned skin before..

Thank you for your reply.. =)

my bad. i just saw this post. my apologies for the (very) late reply.

there are no clerks in MDH, thus expect to be still "in the bottom of the chain". since APMC released the rule of 18-hr duty to the interns, some departments follow this rule, or have made ways to at least lessen the burden of the interns' duty based on the departments they are currently rotating. the interns' coordinator and the chief residents of each department conduct meetings to make ways & means to prevent further decrease in the number of interns present. most complaints are "ang toxic kasi" and "maraming paperworks". we've endured months where we don't have interns as rotators and the department can survive (even having 0 chart backlogs). as in sobrang lenient na kami sa interns i often wonder kung may natututunan ba sila sa amin? in IM, interns only go on duty twice a week (thursdays and sundays) the rest pre-duty sila pero hindi imposed yung 18-hr rule. in our department, "untouchable" kayo pag from duty but you're not allowed to leave the hospital before 5.

having many co-interns is a very big factor. my year na complete ang 40 interns sa MDH (my 2 mid-year pa). toxic man, nagiging magaan ang trabaho nila kasi marami kayong nagduduty in a day, & definitely masaya kasi malakas ang suporta sa isa't isa.

may naririnig ako na tsismis that some interns who left our institution for another one have feelings of regret for leaving dahil na-sway ng mga kaibigan. i believe choosing where you wanna have your internship is a personal choice. it's a form of your own continuing learning. kung lagi kang makikisama sa iba at wala kang sariling paninindigan, i don't think you can stand on your own.

goodluck to you.. think about it very well. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided that I want to join either one of these Schools of Medicine in the Philippines because of the good affiliations they have with US teaching hospitals. I want to do my clerkship in the US so I can gain clinical experience in the US and in turn help me with a better chance of a residency placement match.

Which would you recommend? I would really appreciate if someone could point out some major 'pros' and 'cons' of the three universities.

Thank you!

Sorry if I'm a bit off on the topic...I'm new and couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

I've decided that I want to join either one of these Schools of Medicine in the Philippines because of the good affiliations they have with US teaching hospitals. I want to do my clerkship in the US so I can gain clinical experience in the US and in turn help me with a better chance of a residency placement match.

Which would you recommend? I would really appreciate if someone could point out some major 'pros' and 'cons' of the three universities.

Thank you!

Sorry if I'm a bit off on the topic...I'm new and couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

Of the three, AUF will be probably be the cheapest for both four years, and for getting US clerkships. AUF will help you get US clerkships but they will not do it directly.

Your questions ignores the obvious......STEP 1 scores.....worrying about getting US clerkship experiences is a little like counting your chickens before....

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the three, AUF will be probably be the cheapest for both four years, and for getting US clerkships. AUF will help you get US clerkships but they will not do it directly.

Your questions ignores the obvious......STEP 1 scores.....worrying about getting US clerkship experiences is a little like counting your chickens before....

I'm aware of the significance of the USMLE Step 1 score in determining the possibility of obtaining a residency and also in playing a role in getting a good clinical rotation in the US. However, at the moment I haven't even started medical school and I'm trying to decide which School of Medicine best fits me in the Philippines (based on tuition and fees, US clerkship opportunities, the level of education, etc), rather which MD program is more beneficial. Being a student who is not a US citizen or a Fil-Am, I have to consider clinical experiences in the US if I want a leg up on getting a residency match in the US.

Thank you for your opinion though.

Hey saipan. can you clarify or expand on that statement you made "AUF will help you get US clerkships but they will not do it directly." Thanks.

Hey saipan. can you clarify or expand on that statement you made "AUF will help you get US clerkships but they will not do it directly." Thanks.

My understanding is that they will point you in the direction of US clerkships that they have an "in" with, but that you will have to do all the paperwork on your own. I don't think anyone there has done a US clerkship lately.

You will have to check with AUF for more specific information.

I do not know how to start a thread (insert laugh!) so I am just going to post my question here. I am currently a Registered Nurse in the United States. I am a Filipino citizen and at the same time, a US permanent resident. I am planning to apply for a dual citizenship soon. Anyway, I graduated college here in the US with a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN). However, my life long dream is to become a doctor. Currently, I am considering to study medicine in the Philippines and I am eyeing for UST, UP or ADMU. I once experienced going to Saint Louis University in Baguio where I studied Nursing for two years with which because of the immigration complications, I decided to just migrate to the US and continue my studies here. Well anyway, I still think that SLU is a good school. Going back to the real deal, I am just a bit scared as to how things are going to turn out. I am not sure as to whether I will be able to have a residency position in the US. Any university in the Philippines that you guys know of that gives a guaranteed residency position in the US? Also, anybody here who studied med in the PI but is still able to practice med in the US? Can you give me thoughts and inspiration, please? :) I choose the Philippines because it's cheap and at the same time I know that I can get a high quality of education there! I never tried doing the NMAT here in the US because US medical schools are so expensive that I can't even think of applying for now. My GPA is at 3.80 in my undergraduate studies. Thank you very much. Please help me to decide :)

HI MDaspirant07! I'm not a pro but I will try my best to tackle the questions you have posted. I'm actually applying to start school in the Philippines next year so I'll answer you from whatever I know. lol.

Any university in the Philippines that you guys know of that gives a guaranteed residency position in the US?
Plain answer is NONE. There is no guarantee. You have to do well on the USMLE and apply to residencies all across the US and hope that one will take you.

Also, anybody here who studied med in the PI but is still able to practice med in the US?
Surprisingly, a lot! I was an undergrad doing some volunteer work at a major hospital in California. I met a physician there and when we were talking, he mentioned he went to UST! In another prestigious school here in California, I met another physician who, I hear, is one of the best ophthalmologists in the country and he happened to graduate from UP. I've heard a lot of other physicians in the East Coast are Philippine graduates as well. =)

I never tried doing the NMAT here in the US because US medical schools are so expensive that I can't even think of applying for now. My GPA is at 3.80 in my undergraduate studies.
The NMAT is only for Asian countries, I believe. In the US, it's the MCAT. They are completely different exams. Now, you have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing so I don't know exactly how that works with medical school admissions in the Philippines. I know in the US, as long as you fulfill the prerequisite courses, you're good to apply. What you got your Bachelors' in does not really matter. I don't know if medical schools in the Philippines have the same acceptance criteria. Regarding this case, I would suggest you call or email the schools you are interested in applying and ask them. Best of luck!

HI MDaspirant07! I'm not a pro but I will try my best to tackle the questions you have posted. I'm actually applying to start school in the Philippines next year so I'll answer you from whatever I know. lol.

Plain answer is NONE. There is no guarantee. You have to do well on the USMLE and apply to residencies all across the US and hope that one will take you.

Surprisingly, a lot! I was an undergrad doing some volunteer work at a major hospital in California. I met a physician there and when we were talking, he mentioned he went to UST! In another prestigious school here in California, I met another physician who, I hear, is one of the best ophthalmologists in the country and he happened to graduate from UP. I've heard a lot of other physicians in the East Coast are Philippine graduates as well. =)

The NMAT is only for Asian countries, I believe. In the US, it's the MCAT. They are completely different exams. Now, you have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing so I don't know exactly how that works with medical school admissions in the Philippines. I know in the US, as long as you fulfill the prerequisite courses, you're good to apply. What you got your Bachelors' in does not really matter. I don't know if medical schools in the Philippines have the same acceptance criteria. Regarding this case, I would suggest you call or email the schools you are interested in applying and ask them. Best of luck!

Hi asnlady! :) Thank you for the response. With the NMAT, I actually meant MCAT. Hehehe :) So are you planning to take med in the Philippines as well? If yes, what school are you looking at? :)

I am really glad to know that you had that contact with physicians here that are graduates from the Philippines. Sounds awesome! I've only met three doctors here at the clinic who are Filipinos. Then again, I do not know where they got their med degree at.

"I know in the US, as long as you fulfill the prerequisite courses, you're good to apply. What you got your Bachelors' in does not really matter. I don't know if medical schools in the Philippines have the same acceptance criteria. "
I know in the Philippines, you have to have a BA or BS degree before you can apply to med school.