What are the top 3 med schools in the Philippines as of "NOW"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowflake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'll be a freshman this June but i still haven't chosen the school that's best for me. I've read a lot of info. about those med schools from the thread of "filipino med schools" which really had helped me a lot. My greatest dilemma now is to know the difference of these top 3 schools as of "NOW". A lot of things changes as time passes. A reply from that thread was posted 2 years ago but I need some FRESH news. Of course asking those schools will be a whole lot easier but an experience is still the best. I know that career still depends on the student but schools really have factors. I also care about each's reputation. Any fresh graduates here? pls.? help? I got one week left to decide. NMAT is not a problem.

Members don't see this ad.

snowflake said:
Hi! I'll be a freshman this June but i still haven't chosen the school that's best for me. I've read a lot of info. about those med schools from the thread of "filipino med schools" which really had helped me a lot. My greatest dilemma now is to know the difference of these top 3 schools as of "NOW". A lot of things changes as time passes. A reply from that thread was posted 2 years ago but I need some FRESH news. Of course asking those schools will be a whole lot easier but an experience is still the best. I know that career still depends on the student but schools really have factors. I also care about each's reputation. Any fresh graduates here? pls.? help? I got one week left to decide. NMAT is not a problem.

I'm not so sure though but this was what I was told roughly from some people.

1. UP..university of the philippines
2. UST..university of santo tomas
3. UERM....University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, College of Medicine
4. St. Luke's Medical Center College of Medicine
5. FEU..Far Eastern University

Again don't quote me though on it. But from what I hear 3-5 can flip flop a lot but I believe that is the pecking order. Or from what I was told...but like I think any of the schools up here you can't go wrong either way...they are all quality from what I got...only thing is St. Luke is like a 5 year school not 4 like the rest.

Congratulations since you already seems to have gotten in and are picking from the top of the crop. Especially if you got into the number one school...usually there is only 2 slots available through the alumni route.

GoldenAzn said:
I'm not so sure though but this was what I was told roughly from some people.

1. UP..university of the philippines
2. UST..university of santo tomas
3. UERM....University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, College of Medicine
4. St. Luke's Medical Center College of Medicine
5. FEU..Far Eastern University

Again don't quote me though on it. But from what I hear 3-5 can flip flop a lot but I believe that is the pecking order. Or from what I was told...but like I think any of the schools up here you can't go wrong either way...they are all quality from what I got...only thing is St. Luke is like a 5 year school not 4 like the rest.

Congratulations since you already seems to have gotten in and are picking from the top of the crop. Especially if you got into the number one school...usually there is only 2 slots available through the alumni route.

-yeah! I agree with goldenazn. those are the top five med schools in the philippines. but still, each schools have their disadvantages with their system. coz there's no such thing as a perfect school. anyways, either way.. they will make the best out of you. st lukes included internship (5th year) as part of their curriculum. it means that you're not going to get a chance to pick hospitals for your internship. not like the other schools you're just obligated to finish 4 yeras and after that.. you're on you own.. by the way, I'm going for feu this june.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. I got a week left. I'm choosing from FEU, ST. LUKES, UERM and FATIMA. :)

Pls. give me some point of views regarding these schools pros and cons/ advantages and disadvantages. I know they are good ones but every school is different right so... i need to know more of that :confused:

Again thanks for the reply :)

snowflake said:
Thank you for your replies. I got a week left. I'm choosing from FEU, ST. LUKES, UERM and FATIMA. :)

Pls. give me some point of views regarding these schools pros and cons/ advantages and disadvantages. I know they are good ones but every school is different right so... i need to know more of that :confused:

-If you want to get more infos about the schools. try reading from the 1st thread to the last.. coz i've done that before.. as for me, choosing fatima is not quite the right way to do. coz of the bad reputations they gained over the years.. but i heard that their tuition fee is lower compare to other schools and there's a lot of intl students there. anyways, good luck in your hunting!

snowflake said:

Well most of those schools are good. Fatima do has that rep but I mean you get your good and your bad with all. But I believe if your looking for loans-wise that is..I think Fatima is the only one on that list that you can get a stafford loan (like some people did in undergrad) if your looking at that through US.

I think you should also look at their speciality..i think uerm from the thread if i remember right is neuro..also uerm has a nice location from what i remember reading..feu has some peds they did move to quezon city i believe and not in manila like in old days..but i'm not sure though. But I believe Fatima even though it has a bad rep..has some residence based on the thread in US..if that helps...but like I'm not sure though..this is like recollection..and I'm not rereading that big thread again kehehe. I really don't know much about st. lukes becuase didn't really look at that to be honest...becuase i didn't want that extra year.

I got into FEU too..but decide to hit UST instead..gl with your decision. At least you have options still hehe. But you might wanna try to decide fast if you want to get a nice/decent place to live at khehee.

snowflake said:
Hi,
Based on my asking people from the Phils and from other internet research and talking to Filipino doctors and residents practicing here in the states, I was informed that the top 3 are:
1. UP
2. UST
3. UERM

* Hnery and Golden also think so. As for Fatima, I suggest choosing UE instead. Fatima has low admissions standard and basically accept all foreigners. There is no NMAT cut-off.

*I believe that with greater minimum requirements, and more selective admissions process, reflects quality and reputation of a particular school.

Think about this: These are the NMAT CUT-OFFS for the top 3 schools:

1. UP - 90 percentile
2. UST- 65 percentile
3. UERM - 55 percentile

* if you have anything less than this, with the 3 schools, even if you are a foreigner, they will NOT look at your application.

* Hence you have to do better than a little over half of all the people who took the NMAT, just to apply to UERM...etc etc for the other top schools.

The rest.... most, have no cut-offs, but I am not completely sure since I only applied to UST and UERM....but I believe it to be so...since I have checked a few brochures from many schools when i was in the Philippines.

In the end, I truly believe that with higher admissions standards equals higher quality and reputation for whatever school, theoretically speaking. Do you guys agree?

* Out of the 4 schools you got into, 3 are good. I would not go to Fatima..for a variety of reasons, plus..it has a bad reputation in the Phils. I would choose UERM as your best bet.

snowflake said:

Hi..
With UERM, go to their website, they claim to be in the top three along with the reputable UP and UST. Check www.uerm.ph/ and then click on education... and look at college of medicine.

UERM: Great school academic-wise, their campus is small though and does not look too attractive. They have access to the MRT or LRT...one of those....I guess that's a plus.

UST: Why its Great? Oldest medical school in the Philippines, academics has always been great. I know of alot of surgeons in the states who are UST grads and some in quite competitive specialties. Biggest Plus....Campus is BEAUTIFUL....very ornate and the buildings in the university are historical works of art.. I could be a little biased...nevertheless, because I am going to UST.

UP: The best! Accepts 0-2 foreigners per year. Very competitive.

St. Luke's: They have one of the best medical centers in the Phils, but their med school is quite new....still good though.

FEU: Also a great school...has a good reputation in the Phils.

Snowflake- where do you intend to practice??
I would consider UERM first, then probably FEU, followed by St. Lukes, then Fatima.

UERM- good teachers, reputation on the upswing, lots of graduates in the US. Great reputation in the Philippines and US

FEU- reputation falling, lots of successful graduates in the Philippines, known in the some residency programs in the US

St. Lukes- still very new, good hospital, but very limited reputation

Fatima- produces good docs, but has a lukewarm reputation in the philippines. Still limited reputation in the US

This is how I would rank it:

1. UP College of Medicine
2. UST Medicine and Surgery
3. FEU-NRMF Institute of Medicine
4. PLM College of Medicine
5. UERMMMC College of Medicine

I would ike to quote philipsquad

"*I believe that with greater minimum requirements, and more selective admissions process, reflects quality and reputation of a particular school."

This might not be totally true. I would like to take FEU as an example. The NMAT has a very small bearing if you want to bea accepted at FEU, the larger concern would be your performance iin college. But despite of this, most applicants are accepted. FEU has a reputation of placing students thru a so called "strainer". I would also like to take my Class as an example. We started out back in 2000 with 400+ students. We graduated 2004 as 150+ in the class. This 150 included those that were delayed and eventually finished with us. So all in all only around 90 students out of the original 400+ finshed in time.

I guess this is FEU's way of screening students. An acceptance never assures you a slot in the graduating class.

But for me, I honestly think that FEU should start stiffening up it's admission process as to avoid rascals students from getting in and eventually finding a way to graduate.

As with FEU's falling reputation, let's wait until after the August boards! I'm very confident that my class will put FEU back on the map and we will regain our glory!

Anyway, my list above is interchangable from ranks 2 to 5.

fremitus said:

"*I believe that with greater minimum requirements, and more selective admissions process, reflects quality and reputation of a particular school."

This might not be totally true. I would like to take FEU as an example. The NMAT has a very small bearing if you want to bea accepted at FEU, the larger concern would be your performance iin college. But despite of this, most applicants are accepted. FEU has a reputation of placing students thru a so called "strainer". I would also like to take my Class as an example. We started out back in 2000 with 400+ students. We graduated 2004 as 150+ in the class. This 150 included those that were delayed and eventually finished with us. So all in all only around 90 students out of the original 400+ finshed in time.

I guess this is FEU's way of screening students. An acceptance never assures you a slot in the graduating class.

But for me, I honestly think that FEU should start stiffening up it's admission process as to avoid rascals students from getting in and eventually finding a way to graduate.

As with FEU's falling reputation, let's wait until after the August boards! I'm very confident that my class will put FEU back on the map and we will regain our glory!

-That's the spirit! God bless yah! and hope your batch can lift up feu's glory days once more!

fremitus said:

finally somebody included PLM in the top performing medschool. and speaking of selective admission process, did you know that only plm conducts entrance examination called MCAT. which is far difficult than NMAt.

This is how I rank it:

1. UP-CM of course!
2. UST
3. PLM-CM
4. UERM
5. FEU

Spartan Doc said:
Snowflake- where do you intend to practice??
I would consider UERM first, then probably FEU, followed by St. Lukes, then Fatima.

UERM- good teachers, reputation on the upswing, lots of graduates in the US. Great reputation in the Philippines and US

FEU- reputation falling, lots of successful graduates in the Philippines, known in the some residency programs in the US

St. Lukes- still very new, good hospital, but very limited reputation

Fatima- produces good docs, but has a lukewarm reputation in the philippines. Still limited reputation in the US

I would rank them in that order, too. To say that Fatima has a lukewarm reputation in the Philippines would be a big understatement.

PLM is an often overlooked school. I would rank them in my top 3 med schools together with UP and UST. The thing with PLM is that they prefer Manila residents (since they are funded by the city government) over Filipinos from other areas, so if you're from the US, your chances aren't that good, even if you have excellent credentials...

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the top 10 school based on percentage passing on the Philippine Board Exams (August of 2004). Again as Spartan doc said, this is only relevant if you're thinking of reputation in the Philippines. The Phil Board exam questions are crappy and won't prepare you to pass the USMLE. If you're planning to have your residency in the States, then you have to prepare independently to augment your curriculum (especially the basic sciences).
1. U.P. - 94% (133/142)
2. UST - 86% (276/322)
3. CIM (Cebu) - 85% (55/65)
4. St. Louis U. (Baguio) - 76% (31/41)
5. PLM - 74% (55/74)
6. WVSU (Iloilo) - 67% (47/70)
7. UERM - 56% (138/247)
8. St. Luke's - 55% (50/91)
9. Cebu Doctor's - 51% (22/43)
10. FEU - 50% (77/153)
Some other schools mentioned in threads
11. De La Salle - 45% (72/159)
...Fatima - 24% (41/172)

tantrum said:
Here is the top 10 school based on percentage passing on the Philippine Board Exams (August of 2004). Again as Spartan doc said, this is only relevant if you're thinking of reputation in the Philippines. The Phil Board exam questions are crappy and won't prepare you to pass the USMLE. If you're planning to have your residency in the States, then you have to prepare independently to augment your curriculum (especially the basic sciences).
1. U.P. - 94% (133/142)
2. UST - 86% (276/322)
3. CIM (Cebu) - 85% (55/65)
4. St. Louis U. (Baguio) - 76% (31/41)
5. PLM - 74% (55/74)
6. WVSU (Iloilo) - 67% (47/70)
7. UERM - 56% (138/247)
8. St. Luke's - 55% (50/91)
9. Cebu Doctor's - 51% (22/43)
10. FEU - 50% (77/153)
Some other schools mentioned in threads
11. De La Salle - 45% (72/159)
...Fatima - 24% (41/172)

You also have to look at the categories. You cannot literally just base it on this. UP and UST have alot of takers..take this into account.compared to some schools that have less than 100 takers.. For example, if there are 2 takers from a particular school and 2 passed it has a 100% passing rate. Does not really say much...except for those that have over 100 takes...with a greater proportion of passers.

phlipsquad said:
You also have to look at the categories. You cannot literally just base it on this. UP and UST have alot of takers..take this into account.compared to some schools that have less than 100 takers.. For example, if there are 2 takers from a particular school and 2 passed it has a 100% passing rate. Does not really say much...except for those that have over 100 takes...with a greater proportion of passers.
That's the reason I did not include those with less than 40 exam takers. I only included the big ones where foreign or local grads might enroll. if there are only 1 or 2 takers then it's a crap-shoot.

From International Medical Education Quarterly Newsletter ( Vol 1, No. 2,Summer 2003)

"There are 32 Phil med schools listed in the IMED...30 operating, 2 closed.
Three of the operating schools have been identified by the Commission on Higher Education as 'Centers of Excellence' and one is a 'Center of Development' based on 'their track record, performance in the licensure examination and excellent faculty'."

the Centers of Excellence (any order):
1)University of the Philippines
2) University of Sto Tomas
3) Cebu Institute of Medicine (that's why i was wondering why no one listed this in the top five--although the rankings may be based on personal opinion)

Center of Development:
Xavier University (Cagayan)

Check out http://www.prc.gov.ph/ and the InMedEd website.

savi said:
From International Medical Education Quarterly Newsletter ( Vol 1, No. 2,Summer 2003)

"There are 32 Phil med schools listed in the IMED...30 operating, 2 closed.
Three of the operating schools have been identified by the Commission on Higher Education as 'Centers of Excellence' and one is a 'Center of Development' based on 'their track record, performance in the licensure examination and excellent faculty'."

the Centers of Excellence (any order):
1)University of the Philippines
2) University of Sto Tomas
3) Cebu Institute of Medicine (that's why i was wondering why no one listed this in the top five--although the rankings may be based on personal opinion)

Center of Development:
Xavier University (Cagayan)

Check out http://www.prc.gov.ph/ and the InMedEd website.
Unfortunately, due to the popularity of Nursing in the Philippines, a lot of medical schools will close in the future. Some with less than 100 enrollees are in danger of closing in the future. Those with big alumni supporters like UST, FEU, and even UERM will make it depending on their alumni.

Filipinos in general are Manila-centric. CIM has been known for years as a good school outside Manila. Some of their top sutdents also do their post-graduate internship in UP-PGH and they do well. But as I said if I'm a foreigner or Fil-Am, your school will not matter much as long as you prepare and pass your USMLE. Some schools have a larger network in the US (UP,UST,UERM,FEU) because of the large numbers of alumni there. If I'm a Fil-Am, my choices would be UST, UERM, FEU, CIM (If I'm Visayan), or St. Louis.
If I'm Filipino (local grad), my choice will be the public Unis like UP, PLM, Or West Visayas as their tuition is lower and it does not pay to spend a lot on med school then practice in the Philippines.

hi! im new here and i would like to have someone who care enough to guide me here. by the way im a BSPT intern student and expecting to grad in april next year ( may God bless me! ) and after i gained my Bachelor degree i would like to pursue on medical schools but my problem is i dont have any idea about the procedures at all. The likes of Nmat testing procedures, when to take it, where to take it, what review center is the best and everything about it. I already visited the web on how to apply in med schools, and i think the very first to do is took and passed Nmat as high as possible to be into dignified schools. But for me i think st. luke's is the one right for me ( but still im in doubt for it requires a 5 year to grad and i took a 5 year pre -med course, i will grow old still studying ), i ask you if you could help me through this, about NMAT for me to have a concrete idea on it. And i will be very grateful to anyone who could help me

Mar Jehan P. GA said:
hi! im new here and i would like to have someone who care enough to guide me here. by the way im a BSPT intern student and expecting to grad in april next year ( may God bless me! ) and after i gained my Bachelor degree i would like to pursue on medical schools but my problem is i dont have any idea about the procedures at all. The likes of Nmat testing procedures, when to take it, where to take it, what review center is the best and everything about it. I already visited the web on how to apply in med schools, and i think the very first to do is took and passed Nmat as high as possible to be into dignified schools. But for me i think st. luke's is the one right for me ( but still im in doubt for it requires a 5 year to grad and i took a 5 year pre -med course, i will grow old still studying ), i ask you if you could help me through this, about NMAT for me to have a concrete idea on it. And i will be very grateful to anyone who could help me
You can look at the thread about Filipino medical shcools and you can get an idea about the process. NMAT is usually given twice a year (usually April and December). Try to inquire with CEM and apply early for the December exam so you can start school in June next year. Very few schools nowadays require high score (except for UP and UST). Even St. Luke's which has an official cutoff of 65 accepted an applicant with 54 this year (this guy had an extensive IT work experience), so once you score 65 you're most likely in at St. Luke's. If you will be practicing in the Philippines, everybody will need 5 years before they can take the Philippines Boards. Even UP has a 5 year program. In other schools, after you graduate in 4 years, you still have to take a 1 year internship in a hospital of your choice (which is already incorporated in the curriculum of UP and St. Luke's). So the length of time to finish is basically the same for all schools. The reason foreigners don't need the 5 year program is that they are not required to take the extra year for internship as they will not take the Philippines Boards. Having said that, I know of at least 1 Fil-Am who took the 5 year program in St. Luke's before going back to the States.
Try to apply to other schools other than St. Luke's (so you have more choices) and take note of their application deadlines. If you like St. Luke's, you will probably like UST,UERM, FEU,San Beda or even DLSU-HSC.

Hi.Pls I need guidance. I'll be completing my BS-Pharmacy course next year (God willing) and I intend to go to medical school. I am thinking of doing it here in the Philippines but av no idea of which school. Which is better off, med skul in Manila or outside manila? I am intrested in UERM. But what are the opportunities of working in the States after finishing from UERM? I'd like to know what's in store for me after i finish as i wish to move to the States.....Thanx

naijabony said:
Hi.Pls I need guidance. I'll be completing my BS-Pharmacy course next year (God willing) and I intend to go to medical school. I am thinking of doing it here in the Philippines but av no idea of which school. Which is better off, med skul in Manila or outside manila? I am intrested in UERM. But what are the opportunities of working in the States after finishing from UERM? I'd like to know what's in store for me after i finish as i wish to move to the States.....Thanx

-just like the messages that were written in the threads, it's all up to the student to get a residency slot in the US. coz what i heard was, hosptilas in the US don't care where you graduated. Is the USMLE scores that they are interested with it. so if you get a high score with it. i dont think you'll have a problem finding a job.

I agree. As long as you score high on your USMLE, it does not matter which school you graduated from. You might also consider getting into Kaplan review (for USMLE) if you are not confident.

hi. im an irregular nursing student and i want to be an MD (planning to take nmat in april), i just like to know why fatima have a bad reputation (im planning to go there), why university of perpetual help is not in your top choices of good med schools. & can anyone give me a list of nmat review book that is available in a bookstore. thanks.:)

If i want to start class of june, when should i apply to reg to the med skul?

What are the top 3 med schools in the Philippines as of "NOW"?

According to the Commission on Higher Education (CHED):
1. University of the Philippines
2. University of Santo Tomas
3. Cebu Institute of Medicine

Coincidentally, these are my top 3 choices as well.

hi. im an irregular nursing student and i want to be an MD (planning to take nmat in april), i just like to know why fatima have a bad reputation (im planning to go there), why university of perpetual help is not in your top choices of good med schools. & can anyone give me a list of nmat review book that is available in a bookstore. thanks.:)

honestly, i don't have a good impression on UPHR (based on its low rating), including its hospital & residents. sorry but i base this on personal experience/observation when my grandma was admitted there years ago (when i was in pre-med, choosing what school to apply to).

my top 3 schools:
1. UST - biased.. hehe!
2. UP
3. PLM

that depends on which school you wanna go to. some schools are already open for applications since they decide the eligible applicants by march.

UST:... Biggest Plus....Campus is BEAUTIFUL....very ornate and the buildings in the university are historical works of art.. I could be a little biased...nevertheless, because I am going to UST.

i agree!! :D sometimes, walking on those gardens makes me at ease..

Applications start as early as September for some schools. You'll have to call the school registrar's office for more accurate info.

I have no concrete evidence as to why Fatima has a bad rep...all I know are based on hearsay and it wouldn't help anyone if I mention any of it here in the forum. You can check out the performance of these 2 schools compared to others based on the recent August 2006 Licensure Exams http://www.inq7.net/exam/phys_08172006.pdf#search=%22physician%20august%202006%20philippine%22

Review for the Social Science part of the NMAT and you'll be fine. The only review book I know which is available commercially is the one published by MSA which is available in National Bookstore, although I do not recommend that you buy one. The practice materials given by CEM when you apply for the NMAT will be sufficient review. Besides, those questions on the MSA review book are a lot harder than the actual exam.

UP remains as the number one med school in the country and eventually 2nd ang PLM. congrats PLM!!!!

sorry bout my previous post, i was so excited i didnt check it. anyway as of the previous board results the top 5 schools are:

1. UP-PGH: 97%
2. CIM:88%
3.PLM (YES!! PLM): 86%
4. UST: 84%
5: SLU (YES!!! My undergrad alma mater!): 75%

source: http://newsinfo.inq7.net/examresults/20060817_phys_08172006.pdf

As it has been stated before, board results do not necessarily mean a better school. A school that is more selective may offer a poor education, but select out only the best students, and get the better board passing rate as a result. Also, Philippine boards are not a good indicator of US boards (as I've discovered when I took the NMAT... in spite of mine having done great on the MCATs, I seem to have dropped the ball on the NMAT...)

:laugh: Kakaloka kayo.

Dagdag lang ng lola nyo ha ... o heto, galing sa FSMB yan (Federation of States Medical Boards), which also uses IMED's resource as the world's repository of medical schools.

Medical schools in The Philippines have been the source of a large number of physicians who come to the United States for graduate medical education and the practice of medicine. During the 10 year period 1993-2002, ECFMG issued Standard ECFMG Certificates to 4,561 graduates of medical schools in the Philippines.

The first medical school established in the Philippines was the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Santo Tomas in 1871. Currently, there are 32 Philippine medical schools listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED), 30 of which are operating and 2 of which are closed.

Three of the currently operating medical schools have been identified by the Philippines Commission on Higher Education as "Centers of Excellence" and one as a "Center of Development" based "on their track record, performance in the licensure examination and excellent faculty."[2] The Centers of Excellence are at the University of the Philippines, University of Santo Tomas and the Cebu Institute of Medicine. The Center of Development is at Xavier University.
---------------------
As a good estimate, UST has produced more than TWENTY TIMES the COMBINED TOTAL number of graduates produced by all medical schools other than the University of Santo Tomas in the Philippines. (details are tedious and deleted)

Kaya Saludo ang lola nyo sa UST-FMS ... pioneer yan!! And ... the History of the Philippines IS NOT complete without mention of the University of Santo Tomas FMS. When you graduate from UST-FMS, you become part of over 130 years of excellence in medical education.

Yun mga ninuno nyo hats-off silang lahat sa UST. Yan ang number one pillar in the history of the Philippine medicine.

Siempre, ang University of the Philippines din, dahil mandate nya to be the State's University.

Pero ha, ang PLM may sarili ring mandate. Also ang CIM. Lahat naman sila may mandate and missions.

Huwag natin maliitin ang ibang medical schools dito ha, Kasi they also (and equally) fulfill very important mandates and roles in the Philippine society. Sa mata ng lola nyo, lahat ng medical schools sa buong Pilipinas, ay dapat ipagtanggol at ipagbunyi -- dahil tinutugon nila ang mga pangangailangang pangmedikal, pangkalusugan, at higit sa lahat, ang mahalang papel ng mga medical schools sa pagbabalangkas ng isang nasyon (nation building).

So, para sa lola nyo, heto lang ang masasabi ko ha, bagamat marami tayong tinitingnan sa pagpili ng isang medical school na papasukan -- sa ibabaw nito halungkatin din natin ang realisasyon na lahat sila importante at may sari-sariling karakterisasyon at lakas (unique charasteristics and strength), na mahalaga para sa pangkalahatang pangangailangan ng lipunan (na maaaring hindi parating mahalaga para sa isang partikular na estudante).

Gayundin, sa tagiliran ng ganitong usapin, payak at maliwanag ang ideya: ang pagpili ng isang estudyante ay batay sa sariling preperensya (preferences), pangangailangan (needs), pananaw (views), beliefs (paniniwala), obhetibong propesyonal (professional career objectives/goals), at marami pang mga bagay at situwasyon na partikular sa estudante.

Sa usapin na "which is the best medical school?" .. tinutugon lang natin ang sariling pangangailangan, at hindi ang pangangailangan ng lipunan (dahil para sa lipunan, kung sino ang makakatugon sa mga pangangailangan nya, yung ang the best).

Ganun pa man, sa ilalim ng pagtugon natin sa orihinal na interogasyon "which is the best medical school", anong kahulugan ng "best" ? Tinutumbok ba ng tanong na ito ang "which is the best choice?" o kaya "which is the best in terms of quality teaching?" o kaya "which is the best in terms of low attrition, yung konti ang nagdro-drop-out ?" o kaya "which is the best in term of allowing one to do overseas clerkship or residency training?" o kaya "which is the best in terms of popularity?" o kaya "which is the best in terms of faculty?" o kaya "which is the best in terms of percentage of boards passers?"

Ang kalidad ng tugon sa tanong ay nababatay sa kalidad ng orihinal na tanong.

ang lola nyo, mahilig sa lohika. :laugh: :laugh:

:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

for me, a medical school has to provide good opportunities for knowledge and training. it doesn't matter what facilities they have, how many graduates they've churned out... a med school's job is to produce physicians. so, what really matters is are they doing their job?

here's an update for those who are wondering:

from http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/topstories/topstories/view_article.php?article_id=15821"]this article...
Of the 2,696 who took the medical board exams, 1,491, or about 55 percent, passed, the PRC said.

UP-Manila posted the highest passing average among medical schools, with 130 of its 134 graduates, or 97 percent, passing the board exams.

Second was CIM, with 67 successful examinees among 76 graduates, or 88 percent; and in third was the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, with 87 of 101 graduates, or 86 percent, passing the exam.

The rest of the 10 schools with the best passing averages are:

Fourth – UST – 271 passers of 322 graduates, 84 percent
Fifth – West Visayas State University – 68 passers of 86 graduates, 79 percent
Sixth – Saint Louis University – 60 passers of 80 graduates – 75 percent
Seventh – Xavier University – 37 passers of 54 graduates
Mindanao State University – 18 passers of 26 graduates – 69 percent
Eighth – Saint Luke's College of Medicine – 45 passers of 66 graduates – 68 percent
Ninth - Far Eastern University-Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation – 135 passers of 206 graduates – 66 percent
Tenth – Ateneo de Zamboanga – 13 passers of 22 graduates – 59 percent

hehehe, i might be biased here. but basically the facilities, the instruction, and the students should all be considered when trying to rate the quality of education of a certain school. so with that, i've got to rate UP-PGH first and what generally follows is UST.:D

ust might be just fourth in the latest medical board exam but look at the hundreds of physicians it has produced. it's the only school who can still attract more than four hundred students and 80+ percent are sure to pass the medical board. and if you consider its tradition of medical excellence, it might even equal UP. but since the students in up are generally well-screened, usually they always got an almost hundred percent passing rate. what's better in ust would be the facilities and the environment as well.

THE TOP 5 MEDICAL SCHOOLS IN THE PHILIPPINES in terms of board examination pass rates:

:thumbup:1. PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA (PLM)
:cool:2. UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES (UP)
:)3. CEBU INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE (CIM)
:D4. UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS (UST)
:eek:5. UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST (UE)

Monday, February 26, 2007, The Manila Times

Pamantasan scores
100% passing rate in board test

The Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM) achieved a 100-percent passing rate in the recent medical board exams.

According to the results of the board exam conducted by the Philippine Regulation Commission (PRC), it was also a PLM graduate—Meleo Ian Nagal Alonzo—who ranked number 4 among the passers achieving a grade of 83.83 percent.

"This is just the latest honor garnered by the PLM for the city," Manila Mayor Lito Atienza said. "We congratulate the whole institution for proving that the Manileño's can shine above the rest."

Atienza lauded PLM President Dr. Benjamin Tayabas and Dr. Eleanor Galvez, College of Medicine dean, for consistently producing outstanding graduates.

Aside from this latest achievement, a PLM graduate topped the board examinations for architecture; the PLM's Nursing School was also named the third top performing school nationwide; and PLM's Mechanical Engineering graduates were ranked number seven and eight in the latest professional examinations.

According to Dr. Tayabas, because of the recent achievement, the PLM is expected to be named the number 1 performing medical school in the Philippines by the Board of Medicine of the PRC.

Dr. Tayabas thanked the city government and Mayor Atienza for their invaluable support for PLM under the Buhayin ang Maynila Program.
According to Dr. Tayabas, it is this support that enabled PLM to become a topnotch university that Manila residents can be proud of.

"The mayor's nine years of investment in quality education for Manileños has born fruit," Tayabas said. "No city administration has exceeded that of Mayor Atienza's in the support he has given PLM as a city university."

:idea: Source: http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/feb/26/yehey/metro/20070226met7.html

I would rank them in that order, too. To say that Fatima has a lukewarm reputation in the Philippines would be a big understatement.

PLM is an often underrated school. I would rank them in my top 3 med schools together with UP and UST. The thing with PLM is that they prefer Manila residents (since they are funded by the city government) over Filipinos from other areas, so if you're from the US, your chances aren't that good, even if you have excellent credentials...

PLM is open to ALL FILIPINO CITIZENS, not just Manila residents... :cool:

"Admission in the first year is open to any student with a college degree, who meets all the requirements prescribed in the criteria for admission. Freshmen admitted to the College are classified according to the two types of program offered: the scholarship and the non-scholarship programs. In the latter, the students pay a very reasonable amount for tuition and other miscellaneous fees, while the scholars are tuition free, but they are required to enter into a contract with PLM and the City government to serve the City of Manila under the PLM Community Health Program, for 5 years after graduation."

:thumbup: Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLM_College_of_Medicine, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ospital_ng_Maynila_Medical_Center

-yeah! I agree with goldenazn. those are the top five med schools in the philippines. but still, each schools have their disadvantages with their system. coz there's no such thing as a perfect school. anyways, either way.. they will make the best out of you. st lukes included internship (5th year) as part of their curriculum. it means that you're not going to get a chance to pick hospitals for your internship. not like the other schools you're just obligated to finish 4 yeras and after that.. you're on you own.. by the way, I'm going for feu this june.

FEU and ST. LUKE'S College of Medicine, which are equally good schools, belong to the top ten list of best medical schools, not on the first 5 list. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hehehe, i might be biased here. but basically the facilities, the instruction, and the students should all be considered when trying to rate the quality of education of a certain school. so with that, i've got to rate UP-PGH first and what generally follows is UST.:D

ust might be just fourth in the latest medical board exam but look at the hundreds of physicians it has produced. it's the only school who can still attract more than four hundred students and 80+ percent are sure to pass the medical board. and if you consider its tradition of medical excellence, it might even equal UP. but since the students in up are generally well-screened, usually they always got an almost hundred percent passing rate. what's better in ust would be the facilities and the environment as well.

Those that belong to the TOP 5 medical schools (PLM, UP, CIM, UST and UE) more or less produce the best physicians in the country; other medical colleges have also produced a long list of what they consider "best physicians."

UP and PLM (the two best government schools), operate on a limited budget. Thus, both schools are highly selective in terms of student admission. I think this is very logical. A school's resource has to be in proportionate to the number of students it can best serve. :cool:
:love:

Hi..
With UERM, go to their website, they claim to be in the top three along with the reputable UP and UST. Check www.uerm.ph/ and then click on education... and look at college of medicine.

UERM: Great school academic-wise, their campus is small though and does not look too attractive. They have access to the MRT or LRT...one of those....I guess that's a plus.

UST: Why its Great? Oldest medical school in the Philippines, academics has always been great. I know of alot of surgeons in the states who are UST grads and some in quite competitive specialties. Biggest Plus....Campus is BEAUTIFUL....very ornate and the buildings in the university are historical works of art.. I could be a little biased...nevertheless, because I am going to UST.

UP: The best! Accepts 0-2 foreigners per year. Very competitive.

St. Luke's: They have one of the best medical centers in the Phils, but their med school is quite new....still good though.

FEU: Also a great school...has a good reputation in the Phils.

St. Luke's is considered one of the Philippines' best hospital. Yes, their medical school is quite new, and has around 30-35% board exam flank rate!!! :cool:

THE TOP 5 MEDICAL SCHOOLS IN THE PHILIPPINES in terms of board examination pass rates:

:thumbup:1. PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA (PLM)
:cool:2. UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES (UP)
:)3. CEBU INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE (CIM)
:D4. UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS (UST)
:eek:5. UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST (UE)

PLM, UPM and CIM all got 100% in the Feb boards.

it's here (pdf file).

PLM, UPM and CIM all got 100% in the Feb boards.

it's here (pdf file).

Yes, PLM, UP Manila and CIM are consistently at the upper-tier of the rankings! Great schools, indeed!!! :cool::cool::cool:

It's not the first time PLM has achieved 100% pass rate. Truly creme de la creme... KEEP IT UP!!! :thumbup:

i asked my MD sis in nyc, she graduated from up manila med sch
her choices were: up, uerm, ust

my personal choices are: uerm, feu, st lukes, cim

but i definitely want a ONE yr rotation at PGH
is that possible even if you're from other med schools?

KittyKrinkles

Magkano na nga uli ang tuition per sem ng UPCM ngayon? Ilang percent yung price hike?