What are my chances with my GPA and questions about podiatry vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is podiatry a good career to consider?

• Total voters

naoise151

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I need some much needed advice because i've been having some serious anxiety making some desicions.
I'm a junior who has recently started to consider pod school . But i also have some concerns about letting go of my medical school dreams. I have a 3.1 cgpa, 3 sgpa , 525 MCAT. lots of ECs (leadership position(2 years in pre health club), working with kids, youth basketball coach,etc), starting some research this semester, scribe job for one semester so far but hoping to switch over to ED tech now that i have my EMT certification, couple shadowing hours following a DO and MD in family medicine/ internal med. hoping to get more shadowing soon in some other specialities and podiatry. do you think i have a solid chance at DO? and are there some things i should think about before switching over to pre-podiatry?thanks for the help folks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probs a troll

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not. looking for some real advice here, buddy.

If your MCAT is real, you will be fine and get into multiple DO schools. If you are URM, have a compelling application, and or have and upward trend in GPA you will likely get some bites from MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
If your MCAT is real, you will be fine and get into multiple DO schools. If you are URM, have a compelling application, and or have and upward trend in GPA you will likely get some bites from MD schools.
thanks! i'm not URM but its good to know i have somewhat of a shot at DO. what do you think about foregoing DO for podaiatry school. it seems like there isnt much respect towards podiatrists so i'm not sure if its a viable career choice

thanks! i'm not URM but its good to know i have somewhat of a shot at DO. what do you think about foregoing DO for podaiatry school. it seems like there isnt much respect towards podiatrists so i'm not sure if its a viable career choice

I would never do it. You will have more options as a DO. You dont have "a shot" at DO... you will get in assuming your score is real and you have a decent app.

I would never do it. You will have more options as a DO. You dont have "a shot" at DO... you will get in assuming your score is real and you have a decent app.
thanks, i appreciate your advice !

(3.0 science gpa with a 525 MCAT? wow! great job. what's your secret?)

if you still have med school dreams, then apply DO.

(3.0 science gpa with a 525 MCAT? wow! great job. what's your secret?)

if you still have med school dreams, then apply DO.
i was an engineering major my first year and i had a major health issue that year too and so my grades were terrible which is why i have such a low gpa. For the MCAT i honestly just created a schedule, used a lot of resources and tips i got from reddit and did the KAPLAN self paced course. i used the kaplan books, khan academy and also some princeton review books.

Reactions: 1 users