MD & DO WAMC Leaving Podiatry 2023-2024 Cycle ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unusualonion

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Please see below for my stats and whatnot.

1. Undergrad/Post-Bacc cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 3.0
    1. With Current Podiatry grades as calculated by AACOMAS cGPA: 3.4 sGPA3.1
    2. Podiatry GPA 3.7 upper 1/3 of class
    3. Trend from time I got my crap together is nothing below a 3.5 c- or sGPA
  2. 1st Attempt: 496 Self study, health advisor offered Podiatry when my score came in and pressured me towards it.
    1. Current practice scores: 511 (128/128/129/126) much stricter study/anki regiment with Kaplan content review and AAMC Official Prep. Taking official test in April of 2023
  3. Won't mention state for privacy reasons
  4. White
  5. Private Research Institution for Undergrad
    1. Public Institution for DIY Post-Bacc (3.9 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA 62 credits)
    2. Podiatry School
  6. Clinical Experiences:
    1. ED Volunteer 50 hours, cut short by COVID then started Pod School
    2. Volunteer EMT 100+ hours
    3. Paid EMT 1000+ hours
    4. Paid Clinical Technician in Cardio/HF ICU 1000+ hours (floated a lot to specialty COVID/Cardiac floors during pandemic, will be mentioning that in my PS)
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. Undergrad research in biology lab 100 hours
    2. Special Graduation Capstone on similar topic which was overseen by faculty chair
    3. Co-I, Examining the genetic underpinnings of catastrophic Charcot Foot disease by means of genetic sequencing of CALC1 gene (securing funding and IRB submission at the moment)
      1. Co-I, Further examination of prognostic value of genetic sequencing as a function of surgical outcomes (in planning phase)
    4. Paid Clinical Research Coordinator for top regional hospital in the GI department, did industry-sponsored stuff as well as physician-initiated studies. 1000+hours
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. Shadowing: 50+ hours between cardiology, ortho, gen surg, and ED
    2. Shadowing GI doctor 50+ hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. Spent over 100+ hours planning and executing fundraiser events with fraternity to donate $10k to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and 5k to help with medical costs after an alum of the fraternity passed from pancreatic cancer.
    2. Volunteered in biology lab before offered paid position, ~100 hours
    3. Cleaned up local botanical gardens each year of undergrad ~ 20 hours
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. TA, 200-level biology class and lab at primary institution
    2. TA, 200-level biology class at Post-Bacc institution
    3. Volunteer/Shadowing activity (put it here because it is a little of both though I don't want to be a trainer so its less "shadowing") with trainer of local football team at an underserved high school (my alma mater) 20 hours as of this season, will add spring baseball to get more hours.
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
    1. Deans List:
      1. Last Year of undergrad
      2. All of Post-Bacc
      3. Upper 1/3 of Class in first semester of Pod school
    2. Top Enrollment Team Member at Clinical Research Coordinator position
    3. Recognized Caregiver Award (2x) as Clinical Tech from patients for bedside manner and compassion during care
    4. Recognized Caregiver Award as Clinical Research Coordinator for patient satisfaction
Some background:
Very briefly, in UG switched from engineering to bio due to shadowing. Right after switch, a family member was diagnosed and subsequently passed from brain cancer (also a motivating factor). My grades were in the toilet as I did not cope with that stress well. Got the help I needed and finished strong. Did cGPA: 3.9 and sGPA: 3.7 at my post bacc. Advisor saw my 496 and REALLY pushed me towards Podiatry, stating "its like youre picking your specialty before medical school". Now, after a semester I think this field is too narrow (lots of drama apparently going on with new schools, residencies, jobs, scope of practice etc) for what I want to accomplish in medicine.
I am actively studying for the MCAT and my practice tests are going much better, though only an official test will tell. I've already done my soul searching for my reasons why I want to leave (aside from the drama i mentioned) podiatry and attempt MD/DO. I know if I get an admission, it will be a reset as nothing will transfer over so basically an MS1 all over again.

So after all that, WAMC for:

Literally any DO (I know some emphasize primary care like family med, internal med, and peds, and I'm fine with that)
Wright State
Marshall
Toledo
UNM
NEOMED
Meharry
Chicago Loyola
CMU

Please be brutally honest, also feel free to ask any questions for clarification.

Thanks in advance,

unusualonion

Members don't see this ad.

Now, after a semester I think this field is too narrow (lots of drama apparently going on with new schools, residencies, jobs, scope of practice etc) for what I want to accomplish in medicine.
Medicine will not be any different when it comes to drama. Frankly, all jobs are being changed by disruptive forces, including scope changes with midlevel providers and political influences to contain costs.

I'll also say let us know when your new MCAT score comes in. What is your plan to leave your podiatry program? The last thing you want to do is get into academic trouble with your courses. You want to leave in good standing.

I'll also say let us know when your new MCAT score comes in. What is your plan to leave your podiatry program? The last thing you want to do is get into academic trouble with your courses. You want to leave in good standing.
I'll definitely update next year.

I am going to stay in my program until the end of what ever semester I (possibly, maybe, hopefully) get an admission. So I if I get one in fall 2023, I'd finish out the semester, keeping my grades as best I can, and then withdrawing that winter break between courses so there is no F, or Incomplete's on my record. Same if I get in for the spring.

As for the drama, I am inclined to agree with you. Those were more "ancillary" reasons that tipped the scales towards me buckling down for the MCAT and applying MD/DO. I must say, I am leaning towards DO as my values are more in line with that model of practice. Plus, I would like to go IM, EM/Peds EM, or Peds if I get in which DO schools tend to produce more matches in these specialties. But thats another discussion for another time!

Thanks for your input.

Here I am... 1 year later and 1 admission with 4 more interviews!

Still biffed it on the MCAT with my practice scores stated above, only got a 500. Good enough for 1 A though!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user