DO Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Prospective_2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please chance me for DO Medical Schools & Podiatric Medical Schools - I will be applying this upcoming cycle.

Cum GPA: 3.35 (upward trend)
Science: 3.2
MCAT: 505

EC's:
-1-2 Years Research - manuscript pending
- 3 poster presentations
-Non Profit/Service: organized a health clinic for 1200+ people overseas, education camps/clinics
-200+ hours shadowing Allergist & Pulmonologist - eventually got hired for the second half of summer - took vitals of patients, conducted allergy tests, skin tests, medical device training, shadowed
-20+ hours shadowing Plastic Surgeon - watched surgeries
-50+ hours shadowing Podiatrist / 50+ hours shadowing DO doctor
-Volunteering w/ health clinics in Mexico
-Started a business in high school - some work during college
-Intramural Basketball
-Internship: healthcare technology company
-Internship: health insurance company

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think you're solid for both DO and pod (unless podiatry has some weird requirements I'm not aware of). You should be aware that DO and DPM are in no way equivalent degrees and are different career paths, though. The only thing that really stands out is lack of clinical experience domestically (shadowing doesn't really count), but I don't think that would be too big an issue given all of your other activities. See what others have to say about that matter too.

You are competitive for most DO schools. Apply to at least 15 in June and submit all your secondaries by July and you should receive several interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the input. Does anyone else have any suggestions / would like to offer their opinion about my chances?

Fine for any DO school except KCUMB and CUSOM, which require a minimum 3.25 for GPAs.

Hello,

Please chance me for DO Medical Schools & Podiatric Medical Schools - I will be applying this upcoming cycle.

Cum GPA: 3.35-3.4 (upward trend)
Science: 3.2
MCAT: 505

EC's:
-1-2 Years Research - manuscript pending
- 3 poster presentations
-Non Profit/Service: organized a health clinic for 1200+ people overseas, education camps/clinics
-200+ hours shadowing Allergist & Pulmonologist - eventually got hired for the second half of summer - took vitals of patients, conducted allergy tests, skin tests, medical device training, shadowed
-20+ hours shadowing Plastic Surgeon - watched surgeries
-50+ hours shadowing Podiatrist / 50+ hours shadowing DO doctor
-Volunteering w/ health clinics in Mexico
-Started a business in high school - some work during college
-Intramural Basketball
-Internship: healthcare technology company
-Internship: health insurance company

Fine for any DO school except KCUMB and CUSOM, which require a minimum 3.25 for GPAs.

Nitpicking here but CUSOM's website shows a 3.2 min. OP makes the cut!

Agree with above, you are fine for all DO schools and if you decide Pod then you will have your pick of schools. I know people with 2.9s and 495+ that have multiple Pod acceptances

It seems to be a common opinion on SDN that KCU's cutoff is a 2 out of 3 system so even they might be worth an app

DO schools LOVE clinical experience. Whether that is volunteering or working in a clinical setting it doesn't matter. Find a way to get around patients. Also get some more volunteering in general, it doesn't have to be medically related. Just find something you are passionate about and do it, it shows your altruistic side which is also good.

Other than those two things I can't see any other holes in your ECs. Get that DO to write you a LOR

I would spend the year getting more clinical volunteering and preparing the application on day 1. It looks like you have decent odds.

@everyone - Can anyone help me provide some suggestions as to which schools I should be applying to or have the best shot at?