Western University in Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes, it is true. By the way, i like your avatar. Super mario fans? :)

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it is true. By the way, i like your avatar. Super mario fans? :)

Thanks Jonathaneous! I'm not really a hardcore gamer or anything. Grew up with a nintendo so it's an old love of mine. Kinopiko is Japanese for toadette.

Why so negative Espada? Did you receive a rejection last year or waitlist after your December interview? There is also the possibility of being placed on hold. Until you get a letter, there is a possibility of any good news. Don't lose hope guys! It's not over till it's over!

Hello,

I'm about to lose all hopes...what is the chance of putting on hold versus an alternate status? Alternate is more of waitlisting...correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got placed on hold......so down right now....

Does anybody know more in datails about hold vs waiting list?
I mean, I understand how hold can be changed into any category, but how are the chance of getting accepted compared to straight-to-waitilist?

I remember they were sayin in the orientation that more than 200 ppl were put on waitlist last year.
Meaning that hold pool is smaller, so better chance?lol

Anybody from last year??

I got placed on hold......so down right now....

Does anybody know more in datails about hold vs waiting list?
I mean, I understand how hold can be changed into any category, but how are the chance of getting accepted compared to straight-to-waitilist?

I remember they were sayin in the orientation that more than 200 ppl were put on waitlist last year.
Meaning that hold pool is smaller, so better chance?lol

Anybody from last year??
How do you know your status? Did they notify you via email or mail?

How do you know your status? Did they notify you via email or mail?

Yes, I received my hold letter this afternoon...this is so depressing. I got put on hold for UOP, USC and Western. I'm not sure if I'm really looking forward to the UCSF interview...

Yes, I received my hold letter this afternoon...this is so depressing. I got put on hold for UOP, USC and Western. I'm not sure if I'm really looking forward to the UCSF interview...

hey pharm321. i just got the "hold" letter today...just like you. I'd rather be on "hold" than be "alternate" cause the status may be changed at the end of march to "accepted". I just complete my pre for the pharm pro at western. ANatomy, microbiology, and statistic. I think that is why they put me on hold. You are still taking classes for the pre? I still hope that things will be better for you and me and other people who were put on "hold"
:xf::xf::xf::)

I am confused people. didn't they say that hold is worse than alternate?

I got a hold too. Did anyone get alternate?

I think alternate is better than hold, because you can go from hold to alternate, but if you're alternate, then you're either accepted or not.

I am confused people. didn't they say that hold is worse than alternate?

it is the same. Means that you are waiting to be accepted. And you have to make a deposit to schools that you got accepted like touro (2K).
:(

From what I recall, it's better to be placed on alternate than hold. From the statistics, they accept people from the alternate pool. If you are on hold, your status can change to alternate. You are accepted from the hold list if the alternate list is exhausted. That is one way you can go from hold to accepted, although it seems unlikely.

This is information I gathered from reading last years forums and from the information I heard at the interview.

I think you are right. However, i did not see a lot of alternates last year. So may be they are doing the USC style. You are actively considered....... who is going to UCSF interview on the 6th of February. And where are you staying ?

Has anyone received an invitational call for the January interview? I postponed my December interview to the January one. I was told by Daniell that I'll receive the call again three weeks prior to the interview date, but I haven't received any yet. I hope to hear from her by next Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an invitational call for the January interview? I postponed my December interview to the January one. I was told by Daniell that I'll receive the call again three weeks prior to the interview date, but I haven't received any yet. I hope to hear from her by next Monday.

waiting for interview too, it getting closer to interview date, anyone hear anything about the Jan interview?

It is definitely better to be on the waitlist than hold. At the interview, one of the ladies from the admissions office said that they took 40-60 people (can't remember exactly) off the waitlist and were moved to acceptance status. A few of my friends were moved from alternate to acceptance during the week of orientation. So anyone can be taken off very late.

It is definitely better to be on the waitlist than hold. At the interview, one of the ladies from the admissions office said that they took 40-60 people (can't remember exactly) off the waitlist and were moved to acceptance status. A few of my friends were moved from alternate to acceptance during the week of orientation. So anyone can be taken off very late.
Can anyone tell me how "hold" status become "accepted"? Some one said that when all waitlist people get accepted, then "hold" people become waitlist and get accepted? I know it is kind of said that we are on "hold", but it is confusing me! I read from the catalog of the school and it said that "hold" can become "accepted" or waitlist at the end of march or early april....:)

I am confused with this part too. DId anyone get alternate status?

I think for now they put everyone on hold , then after all the interviews, they will start to review again and create a wait-list or alternate list. That explains how hold can become alternate and get off to be accepted. I was put on hold, too. We will need to wait until March or April. Good luck everyone. :)

hey pharm321. i just got the "hold" letter today...just like you. I'd rather be on "hold" than be "alternate" cause the status may be changed at the end of march to "accepted". I just complete my pre for the pharm pro at western. ANatomy, microbiology, and statistic. I think that is why they put me on hold. You are still taking classes for the pre? I still hope that things will be better for you and me and other people who were put on "hold"
:xf::xf::xf::)

Hi Jonathaneus...thanks for the info. I believe with the "hold" status, you can go either way, i.e. being accepted to rejected. I'm having very little hope left. If I couldn't even get accepted at Western, how will I even make it to UCSF, the number one school in the West coast. I seriously thought I did well at the interview in Dec. The interviewers were engaged about my research and told me that I was on the right path to becoming a clinical pharmacist. And now, I got the hold letter. Rachel from Friends says it best, "...it's like there's rock bottom, 50 feet of cr*p, and then me..."

Last edited:
Just got a call from my interviewer today. He wanted to welcome me personally and hoped that Western was my first choice school. Anyone else get a personal call like that? Just thought it was pretty cool.

Just got a call from my interviewer today. He wanted to welcome me personally and hoped that Western was my first choice school. Anyone else get a personal call like that? Just thought it was pretty cool.

congrats kinopiko! :thumbup: did you apply anywhere else? is western your first choice?

I kinda lose hope. I am still waiting for an interview and after reading yesterday and today messages, it seems as if all the seats been taken. Western is my first choice and now I guess I have no chance for an interview? :(

I kinda lose hope. I am still waiting for an interview and after reading yesterday and today messages, it seems as if all the seats been taken. Western is my first choice and now I guess I have no chance for an interview? :(

John...What are you talking about?!?! There are still 3 interview dates left! You guys have got to relax. It is very early in the process for western's admissions process.

congrats kinopiko! :thumbup: did you apply anywhere else? is western your first choice?

Thanks ZeroC0mbine :D. I also applied to UOP. Yes, Western in my first choice! See you in August?

Hi everyone,

I just want to apologize if I came across as a negative person.

Okay...so here's the deal with my story last year. I applied last year and received an invitation for the December interviews. The result after the interviews was that my file was placed on hold and was going to be reevaluated with every interview session that passes.

At the end of the entire application cycle, I received a notice that I was moved from the hold list to the alternate list. Unfortunately, I didnt gain admissions to Western for the Class of 2013. I was told that from admissions that they took off 20-40 people off the alternate list. I believe that some ended up getting accepted to other schools.

But I do know that as a reapplicant is that I called into admissions department several times during the application cycle. It seems the response from people on this site was the same as it was last year.

I don't want to hinder or scare anyone from this application cycle. I just want to give the basic facts of my experience last year.

Hope that helps

I encourage everyone to stay positive during the application cycle.

Hi everyone,

I just want to apologize if I came across as a negative person.

Okay...so here's the deal with my story last year. I applied last year and received an invitation for the December interviews. The result after the interviews was that my file was placed on hold and was going to be reevaluated with every interview session that passes.

At the end of the entire application cycle, I received a notice that I was moved from the hold list to the alternate list. Unfortunately, I didnt gain admissions to Western for the Class of 2013. I was told that from admissions that they took off 20-40 people off the alternate list. I believe that some ended up getting accepted to other schools.

But I do know that as a reapplicant is that I called into admissions department several times during the application cycle. It seems the response from people on this site was the same as it was last year.

I don't want to hinder or scare anyone from this application cycle. I just want to give the basic facts of my experience last year.

Hope that helps

Is it possible that western will call applicants for an interview this week for Jan 30 interview? It is just that if Western really call for an interview this upcoming week...it is way too close to plan out everything. Anyone receive any calls about Jan 30 interview??

I strongly believe that they will start calling this week for the Jan 30th interviews.

I agree with Espada. This week is highly probable. Western can even call up to one week before. People cancel for different reasons and they need to fill the spots.

I've been trying to get ahold of someone in the admissions office about the jan.30 interview times, but haven't had any luck. Have other people not heard about their interview times for that day either?

Yes!! I also got a call from my interviewer, congratulating me on my acceptance. It was a really nice gesture and made me feel better about giving them my $500 security deposit :)

I got the Western acceptance on the day of my deposit deadline for Touro.... a massive $2000 that I just BARELY managed to get away from.

Hey guys,

I interviewed in Dec and like most of you i was placed on Hold.:(
I believe most people from Dec interview were placed on Hold. am I right??
Has anyone recieved alternate status????

Hey guys,

I was in the December interview as well and was put on hold as well. Kind of discouraging but luckily I also received an interview offer from MCPHS so one door closes another door opens.

Hey guys,

I was in the December interview as well and was put on hold as well. Kind of discouraging but luckily I also received an interview offer from MCPHS so one door closes another door opens.

Me 2. Hey so you will go to MCPHS rite? but what campus? Boston. I will go there on Jan 29. :)

I guess I wont be attending Western University. I just received a hold letter before given an interview. I strongly believe that the candidate pool is much stronger this year.

Well, good luck to everyone during this cycle. I have already been accepted to Pacific University. I will be leaving California.

Hey! I am thinking I will be attending Western in the fall. Does anyone have recommendations about a good area to live in? I am fine commuting a little to find a nice place. I heard Claremont is nice. Any opinions?

I guess I wont be attending Western University. I just received a hold letter before given an interview. I strongly believe that the candidate pool is much stronger this year.

Well, good luck to everyone during this cycle. I have already been accepted to Pacific University. I will be leaving California.

I am sorry to know that...but hey..i know some one from western got a hold letter before the interview and then got accepted after having a late interview in March. So..i don't know what you think...
good luck

Hey! I am thinking I will be attending Western in the fall. Does anyone have recommendations about a good area to live in? I am fine commuting a little to find a nice place. I heard Claremont is nice. Any opinions?

Diamond Bar is a nice place and a very safe place to live at, it's fairly close to Pomona.

I still haven't heard anything from Western at all...I hope I get some reply soon

Me 2. Hey so you will go to MCPHS rite? but what campus? Boston. I will go there on Jan 29. :)

I got the news that I got into Midwestern in Glendale, Arizona. So I decline the interview offers for Boston. My boston interview was on Feb 8th. Good luck to you on your interview. I would have love to visit Boston and check out the city and the pubs :laugh:

Thanks ZeroC0mbine :D. I also applied to UOP. Yes, Western in my first choice! See you in August?

assuming both of u already sent the 500 bucks deposit, has either of u received any confirmation that they received it? i sent mine a few days ago and havent heard anything since.
Thanks and congrats :)

assuming both of u already sent the 500 bucks deposit, has either of u received any confirmation that they received it? i sent mine a few days ago and havent heard anything since.
Thanks and congrats :)

Hey natdn, yes I sent my deposit but have not received any confirmation yet. I'll probably wait till the 21st (day before deadline) to see if either I get a confirmation or see if my check has been cashed before I call the office to confirm.

Hey natdn, yes I sent my deposit but have not received any confirmation yet. I'll probably wait till the 21st (day before deadline) to see if either I get a confirmation or see if my check has been cashed before I call the office to confirm.

good idea.. thanks :)

FYI...got a confirmation letter regarding my deposit via snail mail today.

I got the reference email saying my app was up for review on Jan 4, any idea when they might tell me if i'm getting an interview or not?

I just talked to the admissions people, and they said they are evaluating applications and sending out invites up to the week before interview date, so hope for all us in limbo until January 24 XD

You gave me hope till next week. Its kinda close that western send invitation so close to the interview date. But... thx desertraichu for letting us know. :D

*Wheww* =)...Almost misssed the invitational call for interview today.

*Wheww* =)...Almost misssed the invitational call for interview today.

you got a call for an interview for Jan 30?