Western University in Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we could. but when every other school in CA will take just one quarter, or one with mole bio, then id rather just go elsewhere.

its also hard to find CC's that will offer biochem2. I don't know about the other people, but I graduated so if I wanted to go back and take another quarter of biochem at UCSD, id have to reapply.

besides... im working full time now so i don't have the time for a class.

youre from orange county? orange coast college offers one course that fulfills the biochemistry requirement for western. you just have to take one class that includes lab. i think its 5 units.
its not hard to find cc that offer biochem. just go to the western schools link that was posted, find schools within your area and see if theres articulation with western for biochem

Members don't see this ad.

youre from orange county? orange coast college offers one course that fulfills the biochemistry requirement for western. you just have to take one class that includes lab. i think its 5 units.
its not hard to find cc that offer biochem. just go to the western schools link that was posted, find schools within your area and see if theres articulation with western for biochem

its also one thing to say that a CC offers a class... and another thing to say you are enrolled in that class considering other students will have accumulated more credits than you already and you will have limited space to get in to that biochem class.

but yeah.. the bottom line isnt that we can't find a place to take biochem... the bottom line is that while I was at UCSD, i took mole bio figuring that would satisfy the requirement, and it did last year.... something has changed, and now it does not fulfill it.

Members don't see this ad :)
its also one thing to say that a CC offers a class... and another thing to say you are enrolled in that class considering other students will have accumulated more credits than you already and you will have limited space to get in to that biochem class.

but yeah.. the bottom line isnt that we can't find a place to take biochem... the bottom line is that while I was at UCSD, i took mole bio figuring that would satisfy the requirement, and it did last year.... something has changed, and now it does not fulfill it.

they satisfy the requirement according to when you took the course and if during that time it was listed as being articulated with the school. They don't go by what its required for the current cycle.

thus if you say you took a certain course on so-and-so date and during that time it was satisfied, then you should be good even if its now changed.

this applies for when take classes for your aa or bs degrees too.

Um... yes it is. I'm from N.Cal so I don't know about Socal people, but I tried at least 5 community colleges. Not one of them offers another biochem course. According to the Western website for prereq equivalencies, they were either "not yet evaluated" or you had to retake an entire sequence of biochemistry even when you had already taken it.

So yeah, I agree with everything cheeseboy said.

that's because you're from a different locality. my answer was catered towards cheesboy's claim and he's from so cal. I've never taken a cc course in nor cal so I don't know about the schools there.

hope you guys can reach agreement with western somehow. goood luck.

Hey guys, for the people that received interviews dates for December, when did you submit your supplemental? Thanks

Um... yes it is. I'm from N.Cal so I don't know about Socal people, but I tried at least 5 community colleges. Not one of them offers another biochem course. According to the Western website for prereq equivalencies, they were either "not yet evaluated" or you had to retake an entire sequence of biochemistry even when you had already taken it.

So yeah, I agree with everything cheeseboy said.

random question, but if you're from norcal, why did you choose to apply to touro rather than uop, which has the 2k deposit?

Hey guys, for the people that received interviews dates for December, when did you submit your supplemental? Thanks

Submitted pharmcas at the beginning of October and sent in the supplemental mid-October

Pharmcas sent beginning of August and Western supplemental sent mid-September. Interview this Saturday @ 7:30am!

So for those who are interviewing this sat-- how are you guys preparing???... any ideas??

For those who got interview invite for 12/12 from Western, what does your interview invitation say about the check in time?
My letter says that I have to arrive at 7:30 am. But later says
Please plan to be at the University from 9:30 a.m.to 12:30 p.m.
I called the university and they told me I am scheduled at 9:30. But, I'm still confused.

Is anyone in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly WesternU is having multiple interview times in one interview date (they did this so that you dont have to stay a whole day). But you should double check again to be sure :)

Also, good luck to those who got an interview invite :luck: and :xf: to those who are still waiting.

A quick advice, prior to the interview, please do some quick research on the school and its pharmacy program (can be found on their website). Its just last year when I was an student interviewer, someone asked me about some of WesternU core activity/programs like IPPE and OSCEs. That person could've asked like details about these programs then that wouldve been ok, but to ask what are these programs--to me sounds like they don't know the school well or that they dont care to spend the time to do some research. Also, I agree with one of the previous posts, make your answers sound genuine and unique. Of course, we know that everyone will say they want to be a pharmacist to help people, etc--but elaborate or put your own spin on it. Mainly during my interview experience, what i looked for in the interviewees were uniqueness and if they could carry on a conversation. Of course practice your answers, but just be yourself :)

Hopefully I'm not scaring you. If you guys have any questions just PM. Again good luck everyone, I know this is a very stressful moment but just enjoy your experience. Lastly, do something fun this summer, because once pharmacy school starts you won't have a life LOL jk jk-but seriously ;)

I think from last year in December, they had two interview sessions. The first session started early at 07:30. The second session started around 09:30. I remember being there the entire day up til 1ish (with optional tours).

Whatever may be the case, follow the instructions on your email invite letter. I guess its better to be early than late. :)

For those who got interview invite for 12/12 from Western, what does your interview invitation say about the check in time?
My letter says that I have to arrive at 7:30 am. But later says
Please plan to be at the University from 9:30 a.m.to 12:30 p.m.
I called the university and they told me I am scheduled at 9:30. But, I'm still confused.

Is anyone in the same situation?

Yeah, I was told by Daniell to arrive at 9:30, but the actual interview invitation said both 7:30 and 9:30. So I think the letter had a typo. Daniell has told me two separate times to get there by 9:30, so that's what I'm doing.

See you Saturday. Gl! :)

Thanks guys, I doublechecked with Daniell. It's at 9:30 :thumbup:

For everyone who is interviewing tomorrow, I wish all of you the best of luck. I will be addressing some questions a lot of you are sending me all at once:

Things to impress your interviewers:
1) Your knowledge about Western
2) What you can bring to Western to make it better than now

Some things you might want to say:
-mention Block system
-OSCE: this is when Western tests you on your communication and clinical skills. They put you in a room with a patient. The room has cameras all over. Before you go into the room you get to read their case and see what's wrong with them. You go into the room and have 8 minutes to ask them questions and then make a recommendation. Any medications you learned in class is fair game. So basically you need to know how the medication works, adverse effects, how to take the medication, etc. Your communication skills are very important because you have to get the patient to tell you necessary information before you make a recommendation or else you might kill your patient. You have to know how to ask the right questions.
-IPPE: you start your IPPE in your 1st semester of school. You have to work 3 days a week, 5 hrs a day for a total of 15 hrs/wk for 4 weeks. During this time you can ask your preceptors to teach you skills you have never learned. Those who have no pharmacy experience will learn how to fill and count by five; those who have had experiences will learn to counsel patients and make recommendations.
-IPE: this is when Western put you in groups of about 9 students from different area of studies (pharmacy, DO, dentistry, nursing, vet, PA) and you get cases and your group has to solve them. Basically you learn how to work with other professionals and about how necessary and vital your role is in healthcare.

Tips for interview:

1) When you go in, the first question your interviewer might ask is, "Tell us about yourself." Don't just tell them your name and age (so many people made this mistake). This is where you impress them about you, as a person not as a student. Tell them your hobbies, personalities, extra cirr activities, etc.

2) Remember that when they ask you the same question again, that means that you did not give them a good answer and you better come up with something because they will not ask the same question the third time.

3) Don't try to impress them with your grades, they have your portfolio, tell them something they don't know.

4) Don't push yourself on them, but don't be shy either. Be confident in what you have achieved. Let's face it, hundreds of applicants would love to be in your position, to get your opportunity of a interview so there's no need to be nervous.

5) The essay portion should be the easiest. Remember your essay format: - 5 paragraphs total: 1 introduction, 3 body paragraphs for supports and examples, and followed by a conclusion

6) There will be applicants that will try to mess with your mind, basically to freak you out so that you will do poorly. Try your best to avoid them.

7) Dress code: please iron your clothes. This is not the time where you guys want to experiment new styles. Smell good, but not overwhelming. Also, try not to wear your earrings if you're a guy.

Overall, you guys will have a great time with the interviewers. They are extremely nice people, however, they are very particular as well. Again I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
For everyone who is interviewing tomorrow, I wish all of you the best of luck. I will be addressing some questions a lot of you are sending me all at once:

Things to impress your interviewers:
1) Your knowledge about Western
2) What you can bring to Western to make it better than now

Some things you might want to say:
-mention Block system
-OSCE: this is when Western tests you on your communication and clinical skills. They put you in a room with a patient. The room has cameras all over. Before you go into the room you get to read their case and see what's wrong with them. You go into the room and have 8 minutes to ask them questions and then make a recommendation. Any medications you learned in class is fair game. So basically you need to know how the medication works, adverse effects, how to take the medication, etc. Your communication skills are very important because you have to get the patient to tell you necessary information before you make a recommendation or else you might kill your patient. You have to know how to ask the right questions.
-IPPE: you start your IPPE in your 1st semester of school. You have to work 3 days a week, 5 hrs a day for a total of 15 hrs/wk for 4 weeks. During this time you can ask your preceptors to teach you skills you have never learned. Those who have no pharmacy experience will learn how to fill and count by five; those who have had experiences will learn to counsel patients and make recommendations.
-IPE: this is when Western put you in groups of about 9 students from different area of studies (pharmacy, DO, dentistry, nursing, vet, PA) and you get cases and your group has solve them. Basically you learn how to work with other professions and about how necessary and vital your role is in healthcare.

Tips for interview:

1) When you go in, the first question your interviewer might ask is, "Tell us about yourself." Don't just tell them your name and age (so many people made this mistake). This is where you impress them about you, as a person not as a student. Tell them your hobbies, personalities, extra cirr activities, etc.

2) Remember that when they ask you the same question again, that means that you did not give them a good answer and you better come up with something because they will not ask the same question the third time.

3) Don't try to impress them with your grades, they have your portfolio, tell them something they don't know.

4) Don't push yourself on them, but don't be shy either. Be confident in what you have achieved. Let's face it, hundreds of applicants would love to be in your position, to get your opportunity of a interview so there's no need to be nervous.

5) The essay portion should be the easiest. Remember your essay format: - 5 paragraphs total: 1 introduction, 3 body paragraphs for supports and examples, and followed by a conclusion

6) There will be applicants that will try to mess with your mind, basically to freak you out so that you will do poorly. Try your best to avoid them.

7) Dress code: please iron your clothes. This is not the time where you guys want to experience anything new with your style or hair. Smell good, but not overwhelming. Also, try not to wear your earrings if you're a guy.

Overall, you guys will have a great time with the interviewers. They are extremely nice people, however, they are very particular as well. Again I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you very much for your advice!!!!!!!

Lame. I got a letter from Western U, stating that they put my app on "hold," and won't be reviewing my app again, if even, until after Feb. 27.

Does anyone know what my chances of receiving an interview invitation are from this point? Or does it really depend on my app versus the rest of the people they will be reviewing at that point? Darn, I was really hoping I could get one more interview invite before the year came to an end :(

same here .. I also received a letter which indicated that my application was on hold until the end of February .... I don't know what will happen to it .... all we can do is wait I guess ...

same here .. I also received a letter which indicated that my application was on hold until the end of February .... I don't know what will happen to it .... all we can do is wait I guess ...

When did you submit your supplemental app? I submitted mine around mid October, haven't heard anything. I know that some people also submitted their app in Oct but they already got their interview.
Did you finish all the prereqs?

I submitted mine last day of the deadline 11/2, haven't heard anything either

When did you submit your supplemental app? I submitted mine around mid October, haven't heard anything. I know that some people also submitted their app in Oct but they already got their interview.
Did you finish all the prereqs?

I submitted my application in August, and I only have two more prerequisites to take which I'm about to finish them up. I think there are more applicants with better stats than mine (~3.4 GPA).

Lame. I got a letter from Western U, stating that they put my app on "hold," and won't be reviewing my app again, if even, until after Feb. 27.

Does anyone know what my chances of receiving an interview invitation are from this point? Or does it really depend on my app versus the rest of the people they will be reviewing at that point? Darn, I was really hoping I could get one more interview invite before the year came to an end :(

Don't worry, I was in the same situation last year. I was put on hold in Dec. too and got a call for their last interview in March. Unfortunately, I was put on the waitlist after the interview and never got accepted. I just wanted to let you guys know that there's still hope even if you got placed on hold for an interview though so hang in there. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Don't worry, I was in the same situation last year. I was put on hold in Dec. too and got a call for their last interview in March. Unfortunately, I was put on the waitlist after the interview and never got accepted. I just wanted to let you guys know that there's still hope even if you got placed on hold for an interview though so hang in there. Good luck to all!

Thanks for informing me of that! That is quite reassuring. So I guess there still is a chance huh. Cool! :)

Ughhh i didn't even get a "hold" letter. :( stupid cali schools...

I submitted my application on mid August and believe it or not, when i called them, it is still processing. OMG!Now I am freaking out!!!

Hi guys,
Does anyone know how Western U. grade the interview and essay??? And how much is the maximum for each interview question? such as 4 points or 5 points??? Tks!

Ughhh i didn't even get a "hold" letter. :( stupid cali schools...

Did you get a rejection letter already?

I believe that Western is going to have over 2k applicants this year. If you don't receive any notice by the last interview then you might want to try to apply early next year.

Looks like some people are already getting placed on hold before interview.

Those that got a hold before the interview, did you guys complete all the prereq's? Also, if you guys have turned in your application early?

Did you get a rejection letter already?

I believe that Western is going to have over 2k applicants this year. If you don't receive any notice by the last interview then you might want to try to apply early next year.

Looks like some people are already getting placed on hold before interview.

Those that got a hold before the interview, did you guys complete all the prereq's? Also, if you guys have turned in your application early?

yeah i figured california schools would be super competitive. I didn't get a rejection letter (yet). I haven't heard anything except I JUST received an email last week saying they received my PharmCAS :( I don't even know if my pre-reqs were acceptable.

Oh, okay. I wouldnt rule out anything til you get an official notice from Western. They are pretty good about notifying you if you are missing things, being placed for hold or anything else.

I interviewed last year in December, I was placed on hold. Then I was granted alternate status. But, never got taken off the list. I'm trying it again a second time.

Western is very good at communicating with me during the whole time.

yeah i figured california schools would be super competitive. I didn't get a rejection letter (yet). I haven't heard anything except I JUST received an email last week saying they received my PharmCAS :( I don't even know if my pre-reqs were acceptable.

you're worried about rejections already because you received a confirmation email?? calm down!
you made me think they already sent out rejections letters.

:)

you're worried about rejections already because you received a confirmation email?? calm down!
you made me think they already sent out rejections letters.

:)

i'm super paranoid :'( i read a few posts up that some people had received "hold" letters already though.

I just wanted to say hey to everyone that had their interview this past saturday! I was super surprised how many people were there. I guess because the last interview day I went to there were only like 11 people. It was kind of intimidating.

I just wanted to see what everyone's impression was. I had a really great impression of Western and now I will be even more bummed if I don't get an acceptance. I think that the interview part went really well, the people interviewing me were so so nice. The essay question kinda threw me off, so hopefully they don't weigh their decision too highly on that.

what were all of your impressions??? I'm sure I go to meet some of you, but there were so many of us.. You can probably tell who I was from my pic. I guess the sunglasses aren't that much of a disguise ;D

good luck to everyone!

hey...anyone know when is Western University last interview?? :scared:

PharmD Interview Dates (directly from their webpage)

December 12, 2009
January 30, 2010
February 27, 2010
March 20, 2010

I just wanted to say hey to everyone that had their interview this past saturday! I was super surprised how many people were there. I guess because the last interview day I went to there were only like 11 people. It was kind of intimidating.

how many people were there approximately this year?

why were there only 11 poeple last year? did they save all the poor applicants for last? Don't mean to offend but when I say poor I meant still missing a lot of prereqs, etc etc.

i'm dying to get an interview. still waiting =(

I just wanted to see what everyone's impression was. I had a really great impression of Western and now I will be even more bummed if I don't get an acceptance. I think that the interview part went really well, the people interviewing me were so so nice. The essay question kinda threw me off, so hopefully they don't weigh their decision too highly on that.

what were all of your impressions??? I'm sure I go to meet some of you, but there were so many of us.. You can probably tell who I was from my pic. I guess the sunglasses aren't that much of a disguise ;D

good luck to everyone!

Hi there, I am a student at Western and interviewed some candidates on Saturday and I was pretty impressed. GL everyone.

why were there only 11 poeple last year? did they save all the poor applicants for last? Don't mean to offend but when I say poor I meant still missing a lot of prereqs, etc etc.

sunny meant that there were 11 people in her last interview at a different school, not at Western. The way I see it, people who submitted their applications earlier and are well qualified (completed a good amount of prereqs, gpa, experience) are interviewed first - I'm not sure where they draw the line.

how many people were there approximately this year?

Hey,
I didn't count all the people.. so I can't tell you exactly.. I would estimate about 60 to 70... ?? But maybe it seemed like more bc I was nervous. And yeah, when I said there were 11 people at my last interview I was talking about Touro.

And as far as the people who were included in the first interview I couldn't tell you how they selected people. From what I could tell it was very competitive though.

Good luck! There is still plenty of time to get an interview invite. ;D

I heard that Western interviewed about 100 students last Saturday. I also don't know how Western grades on interview and essays parts? And how many percents should a student obtain to get accepted? Any idea???

Don't know if this was mentioned, but when I was applying in 2008-2009, you had to complete your LOR forms SEPARATELY from PHARMCAS ( they didn't accept the PHARMCAS ones ). I don't know if this has changed, but you should look into it as it prevented me from turning in my apps.

I just received this E-mail today regarding my status.
Does this mean that I'm not missing anything on file including my classes? and they will review to see if I deserve the interview or not? Thanks guys

Enter text here.RFE Letter EC 09

Your file is ready for evaluation by the department.

After your file has been evaluated, you will be contacted by phone or receive a letter regarding your status.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but when I was applying in 2008-2009, you had to complete your LOR forms SEPARATELY from PHARMCAS ( they didn't accept the PHARMCAS ones ). I don't know if this has changed, but you should look into it as it prevented me from turning in my apps.

Yeah, we still had to submit those with the supplemental.

Last edited: