Western University c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected =(

Going to improve my app and try again next year. Congrats to those who made it in!

Members don't see this ad.

After I hear back from Colorado (which is probably a rejection) I will make a decision. So I will probably be accepting the offer! I also have an interview with Glasgow in February but that would be a 5 year program instead of 4...

I'm still waiting to hear from other schools also but I will most likely accept the offer.

I heard Western's alternate list does move so those of you who are alternates don't lose hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess not everyone is an alternate, then. I suppose we could just email Karen and ask how many acceptances/ alternates there are this year.

Accepted. If I get into other schools I'll likely go there mostly due to the tuition. Western's tuition is almost twice as my IS.

The wait for alternates is going to be excruciating :(

Cool! I am also awaiting to hear back from other schools but they are all out of state and Western is my in state (besides Davis where I wasn't accepted). I was just curious what everyone's perception is on the school having toured it and what not and how people felt about accepting the offer in comparison to other schools/other acceptances. :)

Oops, I meant "waiting". Also, for those of you on the alternate list, I am sure the chances of getting in are fairly high. It is an expensive school and I feel that many out of state applicants that are accepted would rather stay in state if they can for tuition purposes (as it seems from the responses to my last question). Don't lose hope! :)

Cool! I am also awaiting to hear back from other schools but they are all out of state and Western is my in state (besides Davis where I wasn't accepted). I was just curious what everyone's perception is on the school having toured it and what not and how people felt about accepting the offer in comparison to other schools/other acceptances. :)
LoveBug2020 said:
Oops, I meant "waiting". Also, for those of you on the alternate list, I am sure the chances of getting in are fairly high. It is an expensive school and I feel that many out of state applicants that are accepted would rather stay in state if they can for tuition purposes (as it seems from the responses to my last question). Don't lose hope! :)

Isn't Western's tuition the same for IS and OOS, because they're a private school?

Yeah, their tuition is really high. It's too bad it's not a state school, because their teaching style seems amazing.

Isn't Western's tuition the same for IS and OOS, because they're a private school?

Yeah, their tuition is really high. It's too bad it's not a state school, because their teaching style seems amazing.

Yes, tuition is the same for IS and OOS since they're a private school. So both IS and OOS people might prefer to attend another school simply due to Western's high tuition, which is probably why Western's alternate list is known to move.

Those of you wondering why alternates aren't ranked: it's because the Dean builds a class, it's not always the best applicants getting pulled off the alternate list, it's those which would work best with the already accepted class. We do a lot of working in groups, which is why this is so important. Congrats on all who got accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if alternates are supposed to submit fall 2013 and winter 2014 transcripts?

Does anyone know if alternates are supposed to submit fall 2013 and winter 2014 transcripts?
I think at the interviews they said we are supposed to submit transcripts and get vaccines and everything so that we would be ready to accept an offer of admission if we get one. Someone please correct me if that's wrong :).

I looked in the interview day booklet we were given but couldn't find anything about what alternates were supposed to send/get done, but I did find where I wrote down the same thing you said in my notebook I brought with me on my interview day, thanks WillowLeaf :)

Last edited:
I think they suggested you get it done within the same time period as if you were accepted, since they could offer you a position anytime and if you aren't able to make an appointment before the deadline, they offer the position to someone else!

I think they said to send all fall grades as soon as they are available! Congrats to all the alternates and accepted! :)

For those who didn't get into Western, don't give up hope! I didn't get in either but I just got an acceptance call from Cornell :D

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone remember if we're supposed to send fall transcripts directly to the school or VMCAS?

Does anyone remember if we're supposed to send fall transcripts directly to the school or VMCAS?
I also have this same question, did you find an answer?

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to send your transcripts directly to the school. You should double check with one of the admissions counselors just to make sure though.

Directly to the school, this was the message I got from Jay:

Students are required to have official transcripts for Fall courses by January 31st, 2014. Spring official transcripts are due by June 1st, 2014. Please have your official transcripts sent to:

Western University of Health Sciences

Enrollment Data Services

ATTN: DVM Program

309 E. Second St.

Pomona, CA 91766

Also, has anyone started to look into housing? That new place they're building on campus looks pretty nice but does anyone know if it will be done in time for the start of the school year..?

Anyone remember if alternates are supposed to send transcripts as well?

Does anyone know if we need to submit our transcripts again if we didn't take any courses in the fall?

Also, has anyone started to look into housing? That new place they're building on campus looks pretty nice but does anyone know if it will be done in time for the start of the school year..?

The place on campus, the Daumier, is supposed to be ready by fall 2014, I believe so it should be ready in time for the freshman. No idea how expensive it'll be since the other places near campus like the Helix and the Met are really expensive. Definitely shop around for where you want to live and determine what amenities you'll trade for increased/decreased rent. I got a great deal on my house where I pay $570 a month and share a 4 bd/3ba with three other girls but I really didn't want to live in a house with other people. Unfortunately, if I didn't go this route, my rent would most likely be at least $700 a month, and that's not including pet deposits or an increased monthly fee to keep my dog there.

better to be an alternate than a reject. congrats folks :)

The place on campus, the Daumier, is supposed to be ready by fall 2014, I believe so it should be ready in time for the freshman. No idea how expensive it'll be since the other places near campus like the Helix and the Met are really expensive. Definitely shop around for where you want to live and determine what amenities you'll trade for increased/decreased rent. I got a great deal on my house where I pay $570 a month and share a 4 bd/3ba with three other girls but I really didn't want to live in a house with other people. Unfortunately, if I didn't go this route, my rent would most likely be at least $700 a month, and that's not including pet deposits or an increased monthly fee to keep my dog there.

Ok thanks for the info, that is good news. True on the price though.. :/ I'm hoping it isn't too bad as I would really like to have the on-campus location for the first year at least.

I'm in. Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the 2018 class yet? I figured that would be the easiest way to communicate with everyone. Especially those that don't frequent this website.

does anyone remember how many surgeries they expect us to have done by the time we graduate?

does anyone remember how many surgeries they expect us to have done by the time we graduate?

I think I remember them saying between 30 and 40 spay/neuters

So I emailed them and found out that alternates do have to send fall transcripts by January 31st (and spring transcripts by June 1st).

Did anyone mail in their deposit and Acceptance Declaration Form yet?

No, I haven't yet but my parents keep pressuring me to because they think I'll lose my seat in the class. Anyone have thoughts on this?

With how much the alternate list is known to move for Western, I doubt that will be an issue… I think they start letting alternates know after all the people offered admission make their decisions (April 15th)… Considering alternates at Western seem to have a good chance of getting in, I would think plenty of seats will be available for those straight up offered admission… Right? That's my theory at least… Do you have many other offers pending?

With how much the alternate list is known to move for Western, I doubt that will be an issue… I think they start letting alternates know after all the people offered admission make their decisions (April 15th)… Considering alternates at Western seem to have a good chance of getting in, I would think plenty of seats will be available for those straight up offered admission… Right? That's my theory at least… Do you have many other offers pending?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. I have two interviews left and I'm waiting to hear from another school but I will most likely attend Western. How about yourself?

No, I haven't yet but my parents keep pressuring me to because they think I'll lose my seat in the class. Anyone have thoughts on this?

They can't take your seat away once it's offered. It's yours until April 15 or until you decline it.

So long as you accept before the April 15th deadline, you won't lose your seat. Same goes for all the schools.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. I have two interviews left and I'm waiting to hear from another school but I will most likely attend Western. How about yourself?
Do you mind if I ask where you are interviewing? I am going to Minnesota in the next couple weeks, you too?

I have one other acceptance and one more interview to go and one more school to hear from... I'm def still in the middle of weighing my options... Kick some butt at your other interviews! I found my second interview to be a breeze. Much less pressure and way more relaxed since I knew I got in somewhere already.

Do you mind if I ask where you are interviewing? I am going to Minnesota in the next couple weeks, you too?

No, I didn't apply to Minnesota. Just Ross and Midwestern. I'm not sure I should even go through with those interviews because I would much rather stay in CA and attend Western. I don't want to waste the school's time and my time. However, I also feel like I owe it to myself to complete the process and find out the outcomes since I already spent a lot on application fees. Any advice?

No, I didn't apply to Minnesota. Just Ross and Midwestern. I'm not sure I should even go through with those interviews because I would much rather stay in CA and attend Western. I don't want to waste the school's time and my time. However, I also feel like I owe it to myself to complete the process and find out the outcomes since I already spent a lot on application fees. Any advice?

Among other schools, I applied to Ross and St. George's and I kicked myself for it and still do. Not only are Ross and St. George's schools that utilize rolling admissions (so I should have waited to apply until I found out I didn't get in anywhere, which wasn't even the case!) but why would I go to a school in the Caribbean when I could stay in the U.S.? Obviously my opinions are not the same as everyone else's but I much preferred to stay state-side even if I was moving across the country. I cancelled both of my interviews at those schools as soon as I found out I got into Western.

How are people dealing with multiple interviews/acceptances? Anyone care to share how they're making their decisions and why? I'd love to hear from current students at Western that could impart their knowledge for those of use making decisions now… Would you choose Western again if you had to do it all over? Haha
I would say skip them… You would also be saving yourself a good amount of money by not spending it on travel. It also opens up opportunities for students that are hoping to get an interview invite…

I think if you are 100% on western, I would just go there. I know how you feel in the sense that you want to find out if you would have been accepted elsewhere( heck, I even did that with cornell... i knew I wasn't gonna get in, but I had to apply just to see what they'd say....) but if western is your number one, I would pop a bottle of champagne and celebrate! lol Right now I am waitlisted at western and colorado.... and I'm torn between the two of them as my number one, so I guess for me it might come down to timing..... unless I get rejected at both :cryi:. Either way I would g with your number one school and save money for vet school.

How are people dealing with multiple interviews/acceptances? Anyone care to share how they're making their decisions and why? I'd love to hear from current students at Western that could impart their knowledge for those of use making decisions now… Would you choose Western again if you had to do it all over? Haha
I second that, I'd love to hear from current western students

(With how much the alternate list is known to move for Western, I doubt that will be an issue…)

I am not a Western student, but I am a parent of one. I've been following this thread, and I thought I'd add what I know. Two years ago, Western offered seats to 160 students up front for a class of 105. That I believe was also the pattern last year. Given that they over-accepted so much initially, it has been the usual situation that Western did NOT dip into its alternate pool very deeply (obviously varies by year). You can search threads in past years to see this for yourself. Since the admission calendar this year was moved up much earlier, things may have changed; I'm not sure. Also, the year my student was accepted, the acceptance letter said that the offered seat was available until the class 0f 105 was full. There was no pressure to accept the offer prior to the April 15 deadline, and they said they had never (to date) had more students accept the offer than they had seats, but they mentioned that it was a possibility. I do not know how they are handling it this year, or how acceptance letters were worded. You might want to check this out.

*crickets*
We just started our neuro/endo block so a lot of us are a little tied up at the moment ;) Not to mention, from talking to other students, I've realized a lot of them stopped going on SDN once they were vet students.
That being said, yes, I would choose WesternU again.