Western University c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will most likely be there on the 10th! I haven't received my confirmation yet though...

Hope to see you there!

So if Dec 9-10 are really the last interview days, I guess those of us still waiting will know this week whether or not we're rejected. :eek:

I really hope you get an invite. I'm rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've received an invite today (on Sunday evening!). Funny since a week ago, they emailed me saying I'm on hold and that they'll notify me of my progress on a monthly basis .

Only two interview dates are available (December 9th and 10th). Geez- such short notice. My boss with NOT be happy!

For those of you who interviewed or received an interview confirmation, what was the meetup time and approximately when were you guys finished? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've received an invite today (on Sunday evening!). Funny since a week ago, they emailed me saying I'm on hold and that they'll notify me of my progress on a monthly basis .

Only two interview dates are available (December 9th and 10th). Geez- such short notice. My boss with NOT be happy!

For those of you who interviewed or received an interview confirmation, what was the meetup time and approximately when were you guys finished? :)

The interview is only 30 minutes long, but they give a lot of presentations and a tour of the campus. When you get the confirmation email it will say you can expect to be at the university from 830 am to 2 pm, which was exactly what happened at mine.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Would anyone who already interviewed mind sharing your interview questions with us? :)

Last edited:
Not a good idea...I'm actually surprised someone asked.

I interviewed about a month ago and it's behavioral based.. I had no knowledge of previous questions so I don't believe it's fair for others to either. In plus we are competing against one another for the spots..

Reactions: 1 user
Not a good idea...I'm actually surprised someone asked.
Sorry, I'm new to SDN. I had no idea. I thought it was an acceptable question since people post questions on the Interview Feedback page.

Sorry, I'm new to SDN. I had no idea. I thought it was acceptable since people post questions on the Interview Feedback page.

those are usually posted AFTER all the interviews. take at look at that page, its helpful

those are usually posted AFTER all the interviews. take at look at that page, its helpful
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not know that all those questions were posted after interviews ended. Are all interviewees asked the same set of questions? Is it okay to ask how many questions the interview consisted of?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not know that all those questions were posted after interviews ended. Are all interviewees asked the same set of questions? Is it okay to ask how many questions the interview consisted of?

There's a link on SDN of old interview questions from all the different schools that I studied before I interviewed. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Just emailed Western... PRETTY sure they forgot about me... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, after worrying and stressing out the past week (since I was put on hold), I got an interview invite today! Yeah!!! :D:D:D

Tentatively scheduled for the 10th, so seems like I'll see some of you there!

Reactions: 2 users
Well, after worrying and stressing out the past week (since I was put on hold), I got an interview invite today! Yeah!!! :D:D:D

WAY TO GO!:highfive:

I just got an interview invitation today. Signed up for December 10th....they didnt give much planning time since I go to school in PA.

I go to school in NY and I'm also heading over for the 10th. It's quite the trek cross country for us :D

Yay!!! :) Congratulations!

Congratulations to everyone else that received interview invites! I'm so excited/nervous. December 10th is going to be awesome!

YAY, Comfy Cat! Congrats! I know that you're excited for Western. Good Luck!

I was originally signed up for the December 10 date, but I had way too many final exam/flight conflicts to make it work. I emailed Ms. Lopez, and it turns out someone pulled out of their December 7 interview. Now I can go do my interview AND take my finals! So excited!!

I'm rooting for all of you!!!! I'm kind of in love with Western and doubt I will be applying anywhere else once my time comes :heckyeah:

Good luck ya'll!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks for sticking around in this thread and helping us :) (update your blog! LOL)

I'm working on it! :) We have finals next week and it's been a little crazy with my puppy and flying back to Florida for Thanksgiving. I'll update it this week ;)

Congrats to everyone that just found out about their interview! I definitely recommend kayak.com for those looking for flights. I had to fly across from the east coast (Florida) and I only had a few days notice when I interviewed so I can understand how daunting it is, especially when considering the monetary aspect.

Yup, RU hit the nail on the head. Also, dress professionally! Take all of your piercings out except for a couple in your ear lobes. Cover up tattoos. For ladies, no cleavage on display, for men, pull your pants up and wear a belt! I saw so many people when I interviewed that didn't follow these basic rules, and while WesternU tends to be more lenient with that than other schools, there's no reason to take a chance. Not to mention you're applying for professional school, so it's in your best interests to appear professional.
Also, treat your interview like a conversation. Mine lasted twice as long as everyone else's in my group and I think that's because it wasn't so much question and answer as it was a conversation.

I have a small, plain silver hoop in my nose. As a Indian American it is part of my culture. Should I remove this before my interview?

I have a small, plain silver hoop in my nose. As a Indian American it is part of my culture. Should I remove this before my interview?

I would. I removed all my piercings except for the bottom ones in my ear lobes. I heard some students the other day talking about how we, as students, are not supposed to have nose piercings at all but I don't know how valid that is.

Congratulations to everyone that received interview invites! It sounds like most of you are going on the 10th, so I won't see you tomorrow (8th) when I do my interview. I am really lucky and have a friend who's a second year here, so she let me stay with her and her roommates. They are all super nice and explained a lot in the way of curriculum style and such. PBL sounds hard, but if you learn better from experience/discovering things for yourself, like me, then it sounds waaaaaay better than just a lecture based curriculum.
Also, I don't know how many of you also have to deal with finals as soon as you fly home, but I get the joy of taking a red-eye flight back to Ohio Sunday night for my Monday finals. Apparently Western's students also have finals this week, so if they seem stressed, that's why haha.
...That was probably TMI, but I'm just really excited for tomorrow XD.

My interview is tomorrow. I'm so incredibly excited and nervous! Does anyone know if it would appropriate to send "thank you" cards to the interviewers? Or is that just something you do when you interview for a job??

Some people send thank you cards. I didn't because I think it is a little odd. I don't think there is a set protocol... There is also a thread that discusses this topic. :)

Do any of you know if there is a way to review the secondary application answers before the interview? thanks !

@Jaimee: I don't know that there is a way to review your answers if you didn't save them. But since it's a "blind" interview, they shouldn't be asking you about material directly from you application. :)

I hope interviews have been going well for everyone, and I certainly hope things go well for those of us interviewing tomorrow! So excited!

I hope interviews have been going well for everyone, and I certainly hope things go well for those of us interviewing tomorrow! So excited!

I'll be interviewing tomorrow as well! Excited but nervous- I had a 5-minute panic attack I haven't had since the night before undergrad finals week :D

Good luck to everyone interviewing today! Everyone is super nice. The interview portion is more like a conversation and wasn't bad at all!

Haha everyone is saying it was a conversation... I feel like they drilled me with more than the 4 questions!

Well, the interview was pretty nerve-racking. Mine didn't feel like a conversation either, but I guess it depends on who your interviewers were (I had one really serious interviewer, and another really friendly one). I didn't feel like they were drilling me, though. How do you guys think you did? I couldn't tell if I did well or not.

Mine fell somewhere in between a conversation and being drilled. Both my interviewers were extremely nice and started off very conversational. They joked around with me and seemed like they really cared about what I had to say...then they asked "can you be more specific" after each question to press for details. That part was a little stressful. All and all, I didn't do horrible but not amazing either. To me the worst part of the interview process was waiting all day to interview!!! More anxiety inducing then the interview itself lol

Mine was a lot like maggles55. Conversational at first, but every answer I gave let to a 'so what did you learn from this experience' or 'be more specific'. Very nerve-wracking. It also didn't help that they were very unorganized and had thought I was supposed to show up the day before. Annoying, since I had to hound after one of the students throughout the different presentations to find out when I would interview, and also since interviewing the day before would have been preferable for me, since taking a red-eye flight home with two finals to take the next day is not something that would have been my first choice. At least they realized it was their mistake, and not mine, but it still majorly threw my confidence off. Overall though, I think the interview itself went well, although I know it would have gone better had my stress level not been jacked up so high by the whole situation.

Glad to hear that other interview experiences were better than mine :p

Mine fell somewhere in between a conversation and being drilled. Both my interviewers were extremely nice and started off very conversational. They joked around with me and seemed like they really cared about what I had to say...then they asked "can you be more specific" after each question to press for details. That part was a little stressful.

That sounds like my interview. Afterwards I kept wondering if that meant they didn't like my answers or something... Good to know that's something they do a lot!

Im so relieved to hear that there were others that were consistently asked to be more specific. I definitely didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

My interview was about the same. Less conversational then others but the interviewers were really nice about the whole thing. I felt whenever they asked those "more specific" and "elaborate more" questions was more of a clarification for them and a way to help me better express myself as opposed to criticism to how I was doing. Overall a positive experience! I think they ultimately wanted you to feel that way by the end of the day :)

They asked me to be more specific on pretty much every question too! Or they asked, "So what did you learn from that?"

I was also surprised that they invited so many people to interview (over 400). Makes me pretty nervous.

Since Western completed all of their interviews a lot earlier this year (compared to last year), do you guys think they'll be sending decisions out earlier? February seems so far away... :thumbdown::nailbiting:

Last edited:
Since Western completed all of their interviews a lot earlier this year (compared to last year), do you guys think they'll be sending decisions out earlier? February seems so far away... :thumbdown::nailbiting:

I was wondering the same thing. I hope so... waiting isn't easy :(

Well the packet they gave us said February so I suppose that's when it will be. Then again the packet also said they are interviewing 300 but in-person they told us it actually totaled to 400.... ah! And that it's just the Dean that selects for the class ultimately.

Well the packet they gave us said February so I suppose that's when it will be. Then again the packet also said they are interviewing 300 but in-person they told us it actually totaled to 400.... ah! And that it's just the Dean that selects for the class ultimately.
Did they happen to tell you if there were more than the ~800 applicants that they said in the interview day packet? If they interviewed 400 instead of 300, maybe the number of applicants was higher as well?

if it is 800 applicants... that means we made only made the top 50%, but if there were 900 or more then our stats are different.

Did they happen to tell you if there were more than the ~800 applicants that they said in the interview day packet? If they interviewed 400 instead of 300, maybe the number of applicants was higher as well?

if it is 800 applicants... that means we made only made the top 50%, but if there were 900 or more then our stats are different.

If I remember correctly, they told us there were 853 applicants this year (not that much more than the 839 applicants from last year). I believe they said they interviewed close to 400 this year because there were more qualified applicants and more applications submitted. If anyone else remembers differently, please correct me.

I just checked Western's Facebook page for admissions, and they said they hope to have all decisions out within the next two weeks. :nailbiting::xf:

Reactions: 3 users