Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the interview invite directly with my primary application--yay:D
I'll be staying at my dad's house. He is gonna drop me off in the morning and pick me up in the afternoon...it'll be just like childhood again, haha!

quick question though--do they really have you stay the entire session from 8am-4pm? i'd hate to end early on and wait around in the lobby for four hours twiddling my thumbs ...

I called and asked this same question and the lady said to plan on staying pretty much the entir day until 4pm. congrats matt! do you know when you are goin?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to let you know pretty much all your interviews will go on in rounds and they generally tend to allot 30-45 minutes per interview. There is normally about 3 rounds of interviews so you can never know where you're placed until you get the schedule. Hope that helps.

I am still waiting for my primary to be verified.

How long after did you guys get secondaries? and how long after being complete did you receive an interview invite?

I practically work for Western as a Research Associate and my PI interviews people for the incoming class, which I hope gives me an edge.

Members don't see this ad :)

How long after did you guys get secondaries? and how long after being complete did you receive an interview invite?

I practically work for Western as a Research Associate and my PI interviews people for the incoming class, which I hope gives me an edge.

My AACOMAS app was released to the schools on 7/16....I received a secondary invite along with an interview on 8/13.

Western will give applicants who meet "specific criteria" an interview invite along with a secondary. The criteria they use isn't very clear, I just know that they do it. Maybe its a GPA/MCAT cutoff, I'm not sure. I'm sure the fact that you work for Western will help you.

I got my secondary 8/11
Submitted 8/18
Invite 8/28

I called and asked this same question and the lady said to plan on staying pretty much the entir day until 4pm. congrats matt! do you know when you are goin?

Interviews start at 1pm and cycle through every 30~40 mins. So depending on which group your in you may get out early or at 4pm. Its alright though you can just lounge around and talk to 1st years or other people who interviewed that day. I found it to be a great atmosphere so I was just relaxing. GL

just got back from my interview day at Western...... In a nut shell, it was pretty awesome. Very laid back as most people have said, and seriously the most noticable thing about the school is the atmospher. Every single person was enthusiastic and happy to be there and there projected there happineses on the people around them. Seriously, we (the interveiw group of 10) were approached by every single person at that school. Whenever a class got at, or a person walked by at the very elast they smiled and gave an enthusiastic thumbs up and good luck wish. On top of that, most stopped and offered assistance, told us not to worry, sat down and talked with us, answered any questions and offered advice. You can totally tell that the students love their school and that the atmospher is cooperative, warm, and inviting.

The speakers were open, answered all questions fully, were honest (at least it appeard they were being honest), and were very helpful as well. The facilities are way nicer on the inside than they appear on the outside. If it looks like an old strip mall......its cuz thats what it used to be back in the day......haha. But dont let the outside apperance fool you. seriously, facilities were nice, atmospher was great, and the interview day as a whole went extremely well. All of the interviewees were very friendly and we all got a long, I'd be surprised if anyone of them would give a poor review of the school. Definitely students that I would like to be in class with. The day ran smoothly, especially for the first interview day of the cycle.

There is a train station that runs right behind the campus, so I asked "have there been problems with the noise of the train coming through during exams or studying or anything like that" and she said that they went through this legal process and their schools is considered a "quiet zone" so trains can't honk or make any unnecessary noise while they drive through. A train came through while we were walking outside and it seriously wasnt even that loud. No way you'd be able to hear it from an inside building during an exam or class. So yea, dont let the train tracks scare you away, it appears they ahve done their best to minimize the disturbance.

I really don't have anything negative to say about this school (tuition is high, but what are you gonna do?). Anybodyo has any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Oh and someone asked about decision notification. The way it works is they have committe meetings on Wednesdays and thats when they decide if you re accepted or rejected. Its a majority vote, they review your file and make a decision. THey then send you notification via snail mail adn they said you can expect a notiication within two weeks.

Another things thats nice is that you have til December 15th to make a decision, which is a long ways if you are in the early interview batch!

Okay, I'm seriously done talking now. Good luck everyone!!

Thanks for the interview process review.:thumbup: How did the interview itself go?

I never got the invite...So much for my top choice.:(

oh and another thing.... somethign that the faculty and professors stressed throughout the morning presentations and tours.... They tried to make it clear that they Western was not ran like a business in the sense that you decide to attend, pay them your tuition, and then you are on your own. They made it sound like they genuinely care about their students. They want you to pass, and they let you konw it. THey provide you with resources, tutors, etc. If you fail a test or a course, they work with you to try and make sure it doesnt happen again, etc. They really try and make sure everyone gets the most out of their education.

So that sounds all nice coming from the people that work there, but what do the students think? Turns out that the students reflect that same attitude that the administrators portray. They feel that the school cares and does their best to make sure they are happy and as successful as possible. So, thats yet another great thing I learned today!

oh and another thing.... somethign that the faculty and professors stressed throughout the morning presentations and tours.... They tried to make it clear that they Western was not ran like a business in the sense that you decide to attend, pay them your tuition, and then you are on your own. They made it sound like they genuinely care about their students. They want you to pass, and they let you konw it. THey provide you with resources, tutors, etc. If you fail a test or a course, they work with you to try and make sure it doesnt happen again, etc. They really try and make sure everyone gets the most out of their education.

So that sounds all nice coming from the people that work there, but what do the students think? Turns out that the students reflect that same attitude that the administrators portray. They feel that the school cares and does their best to make sure they are happy and as successful as possible. So, thats yet another great thing I learned today!

I saw you guys today, i still cant believe that its been almost a year since I was interviewing. i hope everyone did well and hopefully i get to meet you guys next year!

Thanks for the interview process review.:thumbup: How did the interview itself go?

I never got the invite...So much for my top choice.:(

youve been rejected, or just havent got an invite yet? No need to put the sad face on yet if the latter is the case.

The interivew was very laid back, no tricky questions. She just wanted get to know me and wanted to know why I thought I wanted to go to western.

just a bump for all my fellow interviewees today...it was great meeting you all and good luck during the rest of the process

youve been rejected, or just havent got an invite yet? No need to put the sad face on yet if the latter is the case.

It's the latter but I've been complete for nearly 3 weeks as of tomorrow...

Good luck to you two getting those acceptance letters:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the interview feedback guys! i am getting excited for my interview in october! glad to hear it went smoothly! :thumbup:

It was nice seeing the interviewees at COMP today. Keep 'em rolling! Good luck to you guys, I'm sure all of you will do great.

Too bad the lecture you guys sat in on for a few minutes today wasn't exactly "top notch." Ahh well... hopefully next Thursday will be better!

I actually didn't know the train went next to us. I've never heard it before, but now thinking back I think I saw a train once. So the first years are upstairs and downstairs is the 2nd years. We (first years) don't really know all that much yet as it's currently only our 5th week, but I really like how everything is going. Our schedule is pretty good being usually coming in at 9 through 11am with an hour for lunch and class going to about 3-5pm. At UCSD medical it's pretty much the 8-5pm everyday (sucks).

I actually didn't know the train went next to us. I've never heard it before, but now thinking back I think I saw a train once. So the first years are upstairs and downstairs is the 2nd years. We (first years) don't really know all that much yet as it's currently only our 5th week, but I really like how everything is going. Our schedule is pretty good being usually coming in at 9 through 11am with an hour for lunch and class going to about 3-5pm. At UCSD medical it's pretty much the 8-5pm everyday (sucks).

??? we're pretty much 9-5 as well....

Not really. Remember there's group a and b for anatomy
Week 5 schedule
11:30-5pm Mon
10-5pm tues
11:30-5pm wed
8-5pm thurs
11:30-4pm fri
Each day, except thurs, we have 2-3 hours less.

Plus this really isn't too indicative of the average hours.
Last week was pretty good.

My AACOMAS app was released to the schools on 7/16....I received a secondary invite along with an interview on 8/13.

Western will give applicants who meet "specific criteria" an interview invite along with a secondary. The criteria they use isn't very clear, I just know that they do it. Maybe its a GPA/MCAT cutoff, I'm not sure. I'm sure the fact that you work for Western will help you.

They sent you an interview invite without letters of recommendation? How does that work because honestly I am having a heck of a time getting a physician letter and that is the only thing that would prevent me from applying now.

They sent you an interview invite without letters of recommendation? How does that work because honestly I am having a heck of a time getting a physician letter and that is the only thing that would prevent me from applying now.

I'm not sure how it works, they just said that they send interview invites with secondaries to applicants who meet "specific criteria." I'm not sure what that criteria is, so I can't help you much. Sorry

That being said, are you really goign to wait an entire year b/c you dont have a physician letter? Do not let that hold you back from appyling. Some schools require it, but many others do not. You can apply to those schools and in the mean time work on getting that letter. Good luck

I'm not sure how it works, they just said that they send interview invites with secondaries to applicants who meet "specific criteria." I'm not sure what that criteria is, so I can't help you much. Sorry

That being said, are you really goign to wait an entire year b/c you dont have a physician letter? Do not let that hold you back from appyling. Some schools require it, but many others do not. You can apply to those schools and in the mean time work on getting that letter. Good luck

That is exactly what I am doing. I am applying now to both MD and DO schools and I am working on getting a DO letter. I shadowed a DO but he turned out to be completely useless and not the slightest bit personable so I didn't feel right asking him for a LOR. I'm not sure where to turn now, I've tried calling numerous local practices but I continue to get shot down. The problem is that I live in a state without a lot of DOs so its quite hard finding one.

That is exactly what I am doing. I am applying now to both MD and DO schools and I am working on getting a DO letter. I shadowed a DO but he turned out to be completely useless and not the slightest bit personable so I didn't feel right asking him for a LOR. I'm not sure where to turn now, I've tried calling numerous local practices but I continue to get shot down. The problem is that I live in a state without a lot of DOs so its quite hard finding one.

Have you tried these options:

a) AOA mentor program http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm

b) search for ostoepathic physicians via the AOA directory
http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

If all else fails, you might have to suck it up and for an LOR from the DO you didn't really like.

You can also try to scramble for an MD letter, since Western and most others don't require it. Your likelihood of securing one is probably significantly greater. Your shadowing experience should be enough to carry you through secondaries and interviews, when asked "Why DO?"

Good luck!

Since this thread has gone into this...

My boss is an MD (I do research) would that count a a physician letter?

he has already written me a letter...

thanks

double posted and don't know how to delete post...

Since this thread has gone into this...

My boss is an MD (I do research) would that count a a physician letter?

he has already written me a letter...

thanks

Yes this will be fine for Western's requirements.

p.s. the only people that can delete their posts are those who have donated X amount of money to SDN. I assume that mods are also able to delete their posts.

I really slid by on my LOR's (I had really bad luck for some reason)
I had my professor for a senior seminar (MD) a 1 credit P/NP write me a letter of rec that counted for a science prof.
Then I used my distant relative write me one as well (that I shadowed for just a few hours). He's an MD as well.

Honestly the LOR's are not that important seeing as how quite a few people were accepted and then they were asked for missing LOR's (I was talking to my friend today about this and a few other people too!)

Thanks ryser21!

definitely makes my life easier...

just got a call from Dean Adams that I got accepted!!! interviewed 9/4, accepted 9/10..they only gave me a courtesy early notice because i have an acceptance letter from another school, and i had to act on that decision within 2 weeks...for those that interviewed with me.. decisions have been made, and letters will go out in about 10 days or so..gl to everyone!!!

I just got the dean's call too! I didn't have any other acceptance, so maybe there are some others who got the call as well. Best of luck to the rest of you, especially those who I met 9/4. It was a blast! Oh, I agree that the school is awesome! Feel free to send any questions!

congrats on the acceptances! it makes me so anxious knowing that i have another month until my interview, but im glad they are sending out notifications quickly. less waiting time!

just got a call from Dean Adams that I got accepted!!! interviewed 9/4, accepted 9/10..they only gave me a courtesy early notice because i have an acceptance letter from another school, and i had to act on that decision within 2 weeks...for those that interviewed with me.. decisions have been made, and letters will go out in about 10 days or so..gl to everyone!!!

congrats on the acceptance!! Thats awesome. I wish I got a phone call :scared:. Soon, hopefully.

In other news.....they made decisions but aren't going to send the notification for another 10 days? That doesn't make any sense!! Send them already!!!

Congrats guys on your acceptances! At least you know you're in med school, so hopefully that will take the edge off of things a little bit. So far, I've really enjoyed Western and I definitely would encourage you guys to consider coming here (albeit I'm only an M1). Good luck with your other interviews!

congrats on the acceptance!! Thats awesome. I wish I got a phone call :scared:. Soon, hopefully.

In other news.....they made decisions but aren't going to send the notification for another 10 days? That doesn't make any sense!! Send them already!!!

don't stress about it too much ryserr...the way my acceptance notification went, i called natalie first (the girl who said to call her if we had previous acceptances already...i believe you'd remember that from our interview day together). I first asked whether decisions had been made, and she said yes. Next, i explained my situation to her..that i already have an acceptance from touro-nev, and that i had to act on that acceptance within two weeks (two weeks expires this friday). In order for her to give me Western's early decision on my file, i had to give her proof of my acceptance to touro-nev so i faxed her a copy of my acceptance letter. only then did she finally tell me i got accepted to western. She then said that the actual letters will not be mailed for another 10 days or so and that the actual acceptance letters have not yet been created so no need to stress too much about that. after all this fiasco...dean adams then called me about 5 mins later to tell me that i got accepted...i don't know whether or not this was "in knowing" that natalie had already informed me of the decision, so i wouldn't jump to conclusion that everyone that was accepted was personally called by the dean. I just wanted to explain this to you so as to ease your tensions. I hope it goes well for you man, and you hold that acceptance soon too..pm me if this rant didn't make any sense and you need or want more info...btw gl with dmu, i know you're supposed to interview there this week.

I just got the dean's call too! I didn't have any other acceptance, so maybe there are some others who got the call as well. Best of luck to the rest of you, especially those who I met 9/4. It was a blast! Oh, I agree that the school is awesome! Feel free to send any questions!

that's awesome eschott!!! judging by you're screenname i believe you're the one that interviewed right after me (sorry for taking so long!!) haha, gl to you man...maybe i'll be seeing you next summer/fall

Congrats on the acceptance! Awesome that you have a guaranteed SoCal spot!:thumbup:

So jealous of you guys!!!

best of luck to all the rest!

Hey everyone,

I've been paying attention all the posts on this Western U thread and its a school that I would reeaaaallly love to go to. So I have a question and I need your input.

So I mailed the secondary at the end of August (8/20). However, because I was waiting on my LOR from the DO, I did not send in the letter of recommendations until 9/5 (a week ago). I assume that they have received it by now. However, when I checked my bank account, I noticed that the $65 deposit had been withdrawn by Western on 8/27. So does that mean that they had been reviewing my file since 8/27 or do they start reviewing it when its complete with LOR and everything (which was hopefully this week). Thanks for your input! :)

Hey everyone,

I've been paying attention all the posts on this Western U thread and its a school that I would reeaaaallly love to go to. So I have a question and I need your input.

So I mailed the secondary at the end of August (8/20). However, because I was waiting on my LOR from the DO, I did not send in the letter of recommendations until 9/5 (a week ago). I assume that they have received it by now. However, when I checked my bank account, I noticed that the $65 deposit had been withdrawn by Western on 8/27. So does that mean that they had been reviewing my file since 8/27 or do they start reviewing it when its complete with LOR and everything (which was hopefully this week). Thanks for your input! :)

They don't review the file until it is complete, but that doesn't stop them from cashing your check. On another side note, if I were you I would call and make sure that they received your recommendations, rather than just assuming, because you just never know. Good luck!
Rogerswife

They don't review the file until it is complete, but that doesn't stop them from cashing your check. On another side note, if I were you I would call and make sure that they received your recommendations, rather than just assuming, because you just never know. Good luck!
Rogerswife

Definitely call, the adcom people are some of the nicest and will probably be able to let you know right away what's going on. I think they mentioned monday/tuesday were the best days to do so. Best of luck! Oh, and yes, they are a med school, and as the rest of them, love to take your money!

Definitely call, the adcom people are some of the nicest and will probably be able to let you know right away what's going on. I think they mentioned monday/tuesday were the best days to do so. Best of luck! Oh, and yes, they are a med school, and as the rest of them, love to take your money!

Thanks. I emailed Natalie, the Admissions counselor. But she has not responded. I guess I will call her instead. Hopefully everything is good and complete so I can find out on an interview decision sooon. Thanks again.

don't stress about it too much ryserr...the way my acceptance notification went, i called natalie first (the girl who said to call her if we had previous acceptances already...i believe you'd remember that from our interview day together). I first asked whether decisions had been made, and she said yes. Next, i explained my situation to her..that i already have an acceptance from touro-nev, and that i had to act on that acceptance within two weeks (two weeks expires this friday). In order for her to give me Western's early decision on my file, i had to give her proof of my acceptance to touro-nev so i faxed her a copy of my acceptance letter. only then did she finally tell me i got accepted to western. She then said that the actual letters will not be mailed for another 10 days or so and that the actual acceptance letters have not yet been created so no need to stress too much about that. after all this fiasco...dean adams then called me about 5 mins later to tell me that i got accepted...i don't know whether or not this was "in knowing" that natalie had already informed me of the decision, so i wouldn't jump to conclusion that everyone that was accepted was personally called by the dean. I just wanted to explain this to you so as to ease your tensions. I hope it goes well for you man, and you hold that acceptance soon too..pm me if this rant didn't make any sense and you need or want more info...btw gl with dmu, i know you're supposed to interview there this week.

I also have an acceptance to Touro-NV. I interviewed at Western yesterday and the admissions committee should meet next Wednesday to review applicants. Should I call Natalie next Wednesday or just wait until the letter comes? No one mentioned anything yesterday about what to do if we are already holding an acceptance...

Thanks!

Do we know what percentage of people Western accepts post interview?
I know that they interview ~550 and have a class of about 209 (30 of which is northwest track). So just based on that they need to accept at least 38% but of course not everyone actually attends so the % should be higher.

Edit: I see some numbers on page 2 but they are a bit different from what I heard. Anyone actually ask admissions yet?

duplicate post...not sure how that happened sorry.

talked to admissoins today b/c there was a question about the address that the letters should be sent too...... I was told that the letters will be sent by no later than Monday..... so good luck everyone!

DreamPills - You have nothign to lose by calling on Wed. 1) you dont have to wait very long to hear answer 2) if you think you'd attend western over Touro, it would be nice to know so that way you can just withrdraw from Touro and not have to worry about it. Also, waht if they dont send you your acceptance in time for your 2 week grace period from Touro?? Then youll have to pay touros deposit, which would just be a waist if you would have withdrawn with a Western acceptnace.

talked to admissoins today b/c there was a question about the address that the letters should be sent too...... I was told that the letters will be sent by no later than Monday..... so good luck everyone!

DreamPills - You have nothign to lose by calling on Wed. 1) you dont have to wait very long to hear answer 2) if you think you'd attend western over Touro, it would be nice to know so that way you can just withrdraw from Touro and not have to worry about it. Also, waht if they dont send you your acceptance in time for your 2 week grace period from Touro?? Then youll have to pay touros deposit, which would just be a waist if you would have withdrawn with a Western acceptnace.

Thanks for the advice. I will call on Wed...hopefully it is good news. =)

I wrote up above how many get accepted and everything, but here's approximately what it is.
220 accepted
about 600 interviewed
about 400 acceptances

I have the real numbers somewhere and it's not 75% or 95% as I've heard very several sources. I'm sure the Dean knows these better than they do. Also the Dean is a very awesome dude who's extremely friend.

Oh yeah just get your immunizations and physicals done early since it's a pain to go and rush them all at once.

so, for those who had to fill out a secondary, did you all submit within that 30 day time frame? i called to ask today and they said just to submit as soon as possible, and that the deadline is not stricty enforced. I have yet to start the secondary... and i dont think my pre med committee has written the committte letter for DO schools. I hope sumitting a week later than the due date wont hurt my chances :scared:

so, for those who had to fill out a secondary, did you all submit within that 30 day time frame? i called to ask today and they said just to submit as soon as possible, and that the deadline is not stricty enforced. I have yet to start the secondary... and i dont think my pre med committee has written the committte letter for DO schools. I hope sumitting a week later than the due date wont hurt my chances :scared:

you have pretty solid numbers and ec's. i wouldn't worry too much if they told you the deadline isn't strictly enforced.

I have been complete for a little over 4 weeks now and I still don't have a rejection letter or an email invite! I've called them once a week and they keep saying that the committee hasn't made their decision yet. Anyone else in the same boat? Or am I the only one in this apparent "Maybe" folder.:confused: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.