Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would loooooove to go to residency in so cal. Oh man, i never wanna leave this place!

Same here! Lived here most of my life...Don't wanna leave either.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
714 here...Western is my #1. Just took the MCAT on 8/7, being in limbo sucks!

are any of those area codes cool enough to make Ludacris' song??? That is the ultimate question here.

I'm 626, like half hr away from Western

I just received the secondary with an interview invite!!! They gave me 4 choices for intervie dates and I have to let them know which one i choose!!! :D:D

I just received the secondary with an interview invite!!! They gave me 4 choices for intervie dates and I have to let them know which one i choose!!! :D:D

Like I said on the other thread.....awesome...and congrats:thumbup:

i better get my secondary in soon! i want an interview!!!

awesome, congrats ryserr!! :hardy:

*whines like a lil kid* i want one of thoooossseeee......:(

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me a secondary invite email for the second time. Maybe I should call and see if I can trade in two secondaries for one interview invite.:D

I just took the guided tour of Western's campus the other day. The lady didn't really know much about the school (she would ask "any questions?" and we would ask some and she would respond "well, i dont really know" to just about every one) but the campus was really nice. It is right in Pomona too which is a neat area. I think Im about to add this to my list of schools, but does anyone know how to do that after I've already submitted my AACOMAS?

They sent me a secondary invite email for the second time. Maybe I should call and see if I can trade in two secondaries for one interview invite.:D

haha, that just means you have twice the chance of getting accepted!!! :thumbup:

I just took the guided tour of Western's campus the other day. The lady didn't really know much about the school (she would ask "any questions?" and we would ask some and she would respond "well, i dont really know" to just about every one) but the campus was really nice. It is right in Pomona too which is a neat area. I think Im about to add this to my list of schools, but does anyone know how to do that after I've already submitted my AACOMAS?

just log in to your aacomas account...the first page is always the list of schools you have chosen to apply. There is a button that says "add more schools" at the bottom of that list...just click it and then add Western!!

I just got their secondary, but no interview along with it :confused:. I guess secondary doesn't always equal autoinvite for western. In my email it says:

"When your application is complete with all of the required documentation, it will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review. You will be contacted via email if you have been selected for an interview." =P

I just got their secondary, but no interview along with it :confused:. I guess secondary doesn't always equal autoinvite for western. In my email it says:

"When your application is complete with all of the required documentation, it will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review. You will be contacted via email if you have been selected for an interview." =P

same boat redrumi. i'm sending in my secondary tomorrow.

same boat redrumi. i'm sending in my secondary tomorrow.

I think the majority of us will be in that boat...So make room.:D

I sent out my secondary today. At least we have a time frame on when to expect an interview invite if we get one. 1-2 weeks isn't too bad of a wait..

Congrats Ryserr
My husband is MS1 at Western (after doing the ISAC program) and he is loving it!

The application year takes a lot of patience so hang in there! Good Luck to all.

Thanks Birdee!!! I am glad he is enjoying it so far, and the ISAC is definitely something I would be intersted in doing.

Okay, so I have a question.

"Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine. "

What are they looking for here? I don't see how academic performance and motivation for training as an ostoepathic physician are AT ALL related.

i kinda took them separately ryserr...i think you're trying too much by relating the two. basically for academic performance, i just commented on how i did well in school, and how this habit is needed to get through a demanding medical school curriculum.

congrats on your interviews again...i submitted this secondary the day after i received it, and hope to get that invite just like you

i kinda took them separately ryserr...i think you're trying too much by relating the two. basically for academic performance, i just commented on how i did well in school, and how this habit is needed to get through a demanding medical school curriculum.

congrats on your interviews again...i submitted this secondary the day after i received it, and hope to get that invite just like you

thanks for your input on the secondary question. I guess the way they worded it made me think like they wanted you to connect the two....and i wanst feelin it.

no doubt you will get that invite! your mdapps looks solid, and i'm sure the quick secondary turn around time will play in your favor as well. keep us all posted!

Got my secondary today. No interview invite though.

Got my secondary today. No interview invite though.

woo whoo! you have passed the hardest part! turn it around fast so you can schedule an interview quick! :thumbup:

If you guys don't mind, could you tell me your stats, gpa, mcat, ecs???? Just to get an idea of how acceptance rates are going!! I'm really curious since I've been hearing crazy things in the last few weeks. I'd really appreciate it!!!!

Thanks!!

a lot of these guys have mdapps profiles, so you can check those out. :)

you can also see the mdapps of the members of the 2007-2008 western thread, to see who what type of applicants were already accepted in the past cycle.

by the way, what crazy things have you been hearing (if they're about Western, that is)?

Well, I called Western a few weeks ago and they told me it was ok to take prereqs at a JC and they accepted someone who had taken half prerqs at a JC and half at extension overall gpa was on the lower end (3.3-i dont know why but this sounds pretty crazy, to me at least) but also had 'special circumstances'

and i know someone who got in with a 3.1 and 29mcat to touro though....

i got the impression that those secondary/invites were only in the early fall, which led me to believe that they were playing catch up (rather than waiting for everyone to submit secondaries) so they could get the interview process underway. i never heard of anyone getting both later in the cycle.
My friend is starting at Western U this fall. She applied late (sept) and submitted the secondary late too. I think her GPA at UC Berkeley and her MCAT are high (3.9 & 35) so she got in? She had a interview on April.

i just got mine today. i'm also a CA resident.

looking over their instructions, i found this:
"Assemble your application and submit it in a 6 1/2” by 9 1/2” envelope."

so specific! so we're going to have to fold it in half?

I remember calling and asking if the envelope requirement was necessary and I was told it wasn't. However, if you want to be a good little boy/girl then just follow directions. gl

Hey madcye what's your name? Lol I think it's great that some of us can help the younger people. Cyclohexanol really helped me so I'd like to return the favor to the rest of the people. Oh yeah so if anyone has any questions, go ahead and PM them or post on this thread. I check sdn about 2 times a week or so.

So I'll just tell you our stats this year as reported from the Dean Adams.
MCAT avg: 29 (I believe it was this)
GPA avg: 3.52
# applied: 3500
# interviewed: 650
# accepted: 400
Class size: 222

Yes people do get interviews sometimes before submitting an acceptance.
Pomona is HOT! But this is only for the first 2 months where it's about 85-95 during mid day and at night it's a nice 65.
If you have a question, don't leave a message for Natalie since she doesn't call back to often (just barrage her with phone calls).
SMP is good for people who haven't had science for a while but if you were a biochemist, then don't worry about.
ISAC is good too, but not necessary.

Everyone in my class is absolutely awesome!

Anatomy smells.

Now it's time to go to class.

i got my secondary a few days ago as well.. im very excited.. but now that means i have six secondaries that need to be completed... no time to do them though!!! :scared:

no doubt you will get that invite! your mdapps looks solid, and i'm sure the quick secondary turn around time will play in your favor as well. keep us all posted!

looks like we're interviewing the same day ryserr!! i remember western accepts somethin like 80-90% of interviewees

looks like we're interviewing the same day ryserr!! i remember western accepts somethin like 80-90% of interviewees

awesome! I'm always down for an SDN group party on interview day!!

I heard that stat before too, but i saw someone post stats for Western in the 2007 year, and when I did the math to see how many were accepted after interview, it was only like 60% or something. Still not bad odds tho.

I gotta bad feelin' about this...:shrug:

But congrats on everyone that got the invites today.:thumbup:

Just curious if the latest round of interview invites were sent by email or snail mail?

I have never checked my email as often as I have done this week.

awesome! I'm always down for an SDN group party on interview day!!

I heard that stat before too, but i saw someone post stats for Western in the 2007 year, and when I did the math to see how many were accepted after interview, it was only like 60% or something. Still not bad odds tho.

According to US news (who knows how accurate they are) 76% interviewed are accepted..

Total admissions data 3204 applied, 659 interviewed, 501 were accepted, 220 enrolled In-state admissions data 969 applied, 275 interviewed, 203 were accepted, 125 enrolled Out-state admissions data 2235 applied, 384 interviewed, 298 were accepted, 95 enrolled

for those interviewing, where are you staying?

Do we know how long it takes Western to make a decision once you interview?

I'm staying with a friend who is an MSII right now. I'm sure they have a student host list. I'd call and ask admissions.

Do we know how long it takes Western to make a decision once you interview?

I met someone who heard word 4 days after the interview, but 2 weeks is around the norm i think. I will ask when I should be expecting notification of a decision if they do not tell me up front.

I got the interview invite directly with my primary application--yay:D
I'll be staying at my dad's house. He is gonna drop me off in the morning and pick me up in the afternoon...it'll be just like childhood again, haha!

quick question though--do they really have you stay the entire session from 8am-4pm? i'd hate to end early on and wait around in the lobby for four hours twiddling my thumbs ...

I'm staying with a friend who is an MSII right now. I'm sure they have a student host list. I'd call and ask admissions.

I met someone who heard word 4 days after the interview, but 2 weeks is around the norm i think. I will ask when I should be expecting notification of a decision if they do not tell me up front.

thanks ryserr21, if you can find out when decisions will be made that will be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.