Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

right here! :hardy: I was hoping a thread like this would start up soon...

so....anybody go to COMP's DO awareness conference/info session, for those of you who were in the area?

Members don't see this ad :)

so....anybody go to COMP's DO awareness conference/info session, for those of you who were in the area?
I'm east coast, so hoping for an interview to get out.

bump

where is everybody? quiet crowd here...:sleep:

i didn't go recently but i went last year. it was right when i was learning about ostoepathic medicine so it was very informative. western was my first expereince with an osteopathic school. i've been quite a few times sense then b/c my undergrad is 20 min away and i also have a friend who just finished his first year there. i was able to spend a day w/ him which was pretty cool, i sat in on a few classes and even a 4 hour OMM lab. i'm going to back this fall before my school starts to hopefully see some more cool classes and get a feel for the school and the people

i thought i'd say whats up and show the western thread some love!!! its one of my top choices, mostly b/c its in southern california which is where i have lived most of my life and where i want to settle. where are you from iluvmed? is western a top choice?

yea, i've lived in socal all my life too, which is one of the major reasons that have made western my top choice now.

i didn't know much about it before, but i happened to run into a western student one day while i was working, and he gave me a lot of good insight into the DO program, and helped bust a lot of myths for me. the more i have learned about western, the more i have come to really like it.

WDUP! Goodluck to you all comming up. I'm attending the Intensive Summer Anatomy Course (ISAC) prog right now. Maybe something for you guys to consider when you get in ;). Its a good program. Kinda nuts at first but you get use to it.

WDUP! Goodluck to you all comming up. I'm attending the Intensive Summer Anatomy Course (ISAC) prog right now. Maybe something for you guys to consider when you get in ;). Its a good program. Kinda nuts at first but you get use to it.

that program seemed like something i'd be interested in doing but i've heard mixed things about it from different people. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, but i'd be kind of hesitant to blow away one of my last summers studying anatomy! maybe ill change my mind if accepted, but well see.

so will you have free time in the fall when the other students are taking that portion of anatomy? don't you have to work as a TA or something??

I'm east coast, so hoping for an interview to get out.
third time applying???????? :eek: What do they want today: your blood and your first born??? How could you not get in with your stats? I'm really in trouble!:(

third time applying???????? :eek: What do they want today: your blood and your first born??? How could you not get in with your stats? I'm really in trouble!:(

It was clinical experience and PS and being non-trad. Don't let it make you doubt yourself.

that program seemed like something i'd be interested in doing but i've heard mixed things about it from different people. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, but i'd be kind of hesitant to blow away one of my last summers studying anatomy! maybe ill change my mind if accepted, but well see.

so will you have free time in the fall when the other students are taking that portion of anatomy? don't you have to work as a TA or something??

Yeah if you become a facilitator then you'll have a lot of time I hear during the Fall. You go about every other day lab, set up mock practicals before test and provide other resources for the students. Its mandatory to become one if you score above 80% but if you score 70-79% then you can pass without facilitating. I peronally would like to TA the lab just to reinforce my knowledge and have the opportunity to interact with more of my class.

Last edited:
Mr%20Bump.jpg

bump :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Jews/Persian Jews looking for a roommate for this upcoming year??

Does anyone know if Western pre-screens applicants and if they do what is the gpa/mcat cutoff to get a secondary?

Does anyone know if Western pre-screens applicants and if they do what is the gpa/mcat cutoff to get a secondary?

Western does screen. I've talked with their recruiter many times and she has said that they screen VERY thoroughly. She actually said it was the hardest part of the process....so if you get a secondary then you are in very good shape. Ive also heard from other people that they accept 90% of the people they interview, or something crazy like that. So if you get a secondary (and an interview) you can breathe a little sigh of relief.

Western does screen. I've talked with their recruiter many times and she has said that they screen VERY thoroughly. She actually said it was the hardest part of the process....so if you get a secondary then you are in very good shape. Ive also heard from other people that they accept 90% of the people they interview, or something crazy like that. So if you get a secondary (and an interview) you can breathe a little sigh of relief.

Do you happen to know their cut-offs?

Do you happen to know their cut-offs?

na sorry. she never mentioned anything about a strict cut off. she made it sound like it was more than just "you meet our cut off, here is a secondary." They evalaute your entire application and decide if you are still competitive. You could always call and ask, but I dont think there is a cut off. I couldnt find it on their website either.

So has anyone gotten their secondary yet, or anyone have any idea when it'll be out?

So has anyone gotten their secondary yet, or anyone have any idea when it'll be out?

nooooooope. ive come to realize that AACOMAS and the whole DO application process in general is incredibly slow. I submitted my app on June 11th for verification. We are approaching August and I have only heard from 2 of the 7 schools I applied to. Not even a notification that they have recieved my app.

I imagine western will be even slower since they screen pretty thoroughly. I'm not expecting word from them for a while.

Last year and the year before (at least), Western's secondary came with an interview invite. So relax, everyone. They should be busy screening right now.

Last year and the year before (at least), Western's secondary came with an interview invite. So relax, everyone. They should be busy screening right now.

i got the impression that those secondary/invites were only in the early fall, which led me to believe that they were playing catch up (rather than waiting for everyone to submit secondaries) so they could get the interview process underway. i never heard of anyone getting both later in the cycle.

i got the impression that those secondary/invites were only in the early fall, which led me to believe that they were playing catch up (rather than waiting for everyone to submit secondaries) so they could get the interview process underway. i never heard of anyone getting both later in the cycle.

That seems quite dumb on their part. But I guess it definitely could happen.

Do you know that people got secondaries without interview invites, later in the cycle? I'm asking if you're basing your implications on supportive evidence or a lack of evidence to the contrary.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't come off as condescending. I appreciate your input/correction.

That seems quite dumb on their part. But I guess it definitely could happen.

Do you know that people got secondaries without interview invites, later in the cycle? I'm asking if you're basing your implications on supportive evidence or a lack of evidence to the contrary.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't come off as condescending. I appreciate your input/correction.

Im not sure about later in the cycle, im basing that on the fact that i saw people who received invite/secondaries in august/september on mdapps and no evidence of that happening later in the cycle. i could be wrong, but that's what i noticed.

time for another mdapp search!!:rolleyes:

Im not sure about later in the cycle, im basing that on the fact that i saw people who received invite/secondaries in august/september on mdapps and no evidence of that happening later in the cycle. i could be wrong, but that's what i noticed.

time for another mdapp search!!:rolleyes:

hmmm...search inconclusive. i found examples of people getting pre-secondary interviews later in the cycle, but also examples of normal secondary submission then interview invite....i guess there is no answer to western's madness.

Okay, so here is the scoop.

The admissions people are still working on reading the applications they have received, the lady didn't give me a time frame of when to expect any word, but she made it sound like they were getting close to finishing the ones they have?? Whatever that means, I'm not sure why they have to wait to finish reviewing X amount of applications before sending out secondaries to those they have reviewed.

As far as the interview invite with the secondary, this only happens if the applicant meets specific "criteria." She didn't tell me what those criteria were, but I'm assuming if they really really like you and you have a minimum gpa/mcat, then they send you an interview along with the secondary. That explains why some people on mdapps were given an intervew invite while some werent. Also, maybe its easier to get the interview/secondary when you apply early in the application.

She didn't know the numbers on how many applied and how many were sent secondaries, but she is going to get back to me.

Okay, so here is the scoop.

The admissions people are still working on reading the applications they have received, the lady didn't give me a time frame of when to expect any word, but she made it sound like they were getting close to finishing the ones they have?? Whatever that means, I'm not sure why they have to wait to finish reviewing X amount of applications before sending out secondaries to those they have reviewed.

As far as the interview invite with the secondary, this only happens if the applicant meets specific "criteria." She didn't tell me what those criteria were, but I'm assuming if they really really like you and you have a minimum gpa/mcat, then they send you an interview along with the secondary. That explains why some people on mdapps were given an intervew invite while some werent. Also, maybe its easier to get the interview/secondary when you apply early in the application.

She didn't know the numbers on how many applied and how many were sent secondaries, but she is going to get back to me.

wow. thanks for the info! i guess we can assume we'll be hearing something soon.

How do you guys know your app was sent to the school?

AACOMAS is not very communicative...:confused:

How do you guys know your app was sent to the school?

AACOMAS is not very communicative...:confused:

I think the most info you get is by logging onto AACOMAS and on the home page it lists the schools you have applied to...On the right side it says "Released 7/2/08 View" which I think is enough to assume that is when it was sent.

As for whether or not Western has actually reviewed your app....no way to know as far as I know. No one (on SDN at least) has received a secondary or interview invite. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!:D

hi all,
just got the secondary a few moments ago. so expect yours in your inbox soon :)

Congrats you two! Any interviews invites with those secondaries?

ha! i wish my dish!!! i would love love love to go down to california. i'm freezing up in chicago!!!

i want my secondary.........NOW!

hopefully that will work, i'll check my email in a few hours. :D

Maybe they are sending them to the OOS applicants first??

Still waiting too!

i would expect it the other way around......but who knows!?

i'm from cali and i got mine a couple hours ago

i just got mine today. i'm also a CA resident.

looking over their instructions, i found this:
"Assemble your application and submit it in a 6 1/2” by 9 1/2” envelope."

so specific! so we're going to have to fold it in half?

i called one of the admission counselor's today to check in (yes, i'm a little anxious about western :)) and see the status of my app. She said that they had it and had just started sending notifications about secondaries. So, if you haven't received one yet, dont be scared, you should hopefully receive an email within the next week.

I also asked her about the "rumor" regarding interview/secondary combos, and she said that they are not that common. Most people receive secondaries first, return them, and then are asked for an interview.

i just got mine today. i'm also a CA resident.

looking over their instructions, i found this:
"Assemble your application and submit it in a 6 1/2” by 9 1/2” envelope."

so specific! so we're going to have to fold it in half?

haha.. i noticed that specific detail too!!..btw wuttup villageidiot!! GO BRUINS!!

man.. this is one of my top choices.. i really hope to get an interview here

man.. this is one of my top choices.. i really hope to get an interview here

hey man! I'm still waiting for a secondary!!!! I'm pulling out my hair!!!! :scared:

Western is one of my top choices too. I have had many chances to visit it since I live in southern california and go to college 20 min away from the campus. Admittedly, the campus itself isn't every impressive, but I am still stoked for the opportunity to go there. They have a lot to offer!

hey man! I'm still waiting for a secondary!!!! I'm pulling out my hair!!!! :scared:

Western is one of my top choices too. I have had many chances to visit it since I live in southern california and go to college 20 min away from the campus. Admittedly, the campus itself isn't every impressive, but I am still stoked for the opportunity to go there. They have a lot to offer!

yah man i totally agree.. i went to their awareness conference and loved the school...plus, i hear they place very well into residencies in the surrounding area. the doc i shadowed went to western and is also an instructor there..if i get an acceptance to western, i may begin to withdraw some of my apps.

dude, ur stats are great... here's hoping we both get those interviews and get in

dude, ur stats are great... here's hoping we both get those interviews and get in

amen brotha!

yah man i totally agree.. i went to their awareness conference and loved the school...plus, i hear they place very well into residencies in the surrounding area. the doc i shadowed went to western and is also an instructor there..if i get an acceptance to western, i may begin to withdraw some of my apps.

the first time I heard about DO was when I met one at the USC county hospital...he was doin his residency in internal medicine. He went to western as well. Seriously though, it seems like every DO who has settled in souther california is from western. Clearly I am over exagggerating, but the number of western grads is really high!. 3 out of the 4 DOs I have shadowed in so cal have been from western. I would loooooove to go to residency in so cal. Oh man, i never wanna leave this place!

I finally got the secondary!:D

Looks like a few of us have this place as one of our top choices...You guys all have pretty strong stats. Gonna be a bit competitive. Good luck!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.